• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

(Season 2013-14) TY Mileage – Yellowknife

OK, hears an idea for ya... I heard the U.S. army is down sizing.. I think you could pick up a few hell fire missiles and blow that ""SUCKER" up !!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump: Are other owners reporting COLD starting problems ?? MM.

Well after seeing this I don't think I'll ever get a Fox Float shock or possibly any air shock. I wish I had your ability to stay calm Alan. ;)!

Just back from 1200 mile ride; morning temps -10 to -22 fahrenheit, sometimes start and sometimes not. 2 months ago people commenting about the good looks and sound of sled ; now thwy are asking if we are having starting problems. Clearly an issue that has not be acknowledged and/or addressed.

MadMax said:
OK, hears an idea for ya... I heard the U.S. army is down sizing.. I think you could pick up a few hell fire missiles and blow that ""SUCKER" up !!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump: Are other owners reporting COLD starting problems ?? MM.

LOL Yes, there are other reporting cold starting problems. It's less than the warm starting problems cause of climates but gotta be related to fuel mapping in both cases.

4strokeluvr111 said:
Well after seeing this I don't think I'll ever get a Fox Float shock or possibly any air shock. I wish I had your ability to stay calm Alan. ;)!

I haven't had any more issues with the air shocks, I think they are harder to deal with in the cold, but they still work if you take extra care and have some lock de-icer! I don't stay calm for long. I've lost it a few times now which you're going to see.

actionjack said:
Let's have the next video

I forgot to put the link to Episode 10 here, so see the next 2 episode links below, and subscribe to my youtube channel for the latest on the day video's are uploaded.

planner said:
Just back from 1200 mile ride; morning temps -10 to -22 fahrenheit, sometimes start and sometimes not. 2 months ago people commenting about the good looks and sound of sled ; now thwy are asking if we are having starting problems. Clearly an issue that has not be acknowledged and/or addressed.

Yamaha has acknowledged that there are starting problems. The problem is in the hands of the folks at Arctic Cat and the company that they contract to do their fuel mapping. As you can imagine, that's a lot of hoops to jump through in the world of corporate tape.

stomper said:
Just wondering if the Cat XF 7000 is having the same issue. My brother just bought one but only been riding it twice so far.

I only know one person with the cat and they're having the hot start issue and aren't in a cold climate.

OK so here's the next 2 episodes, sorry for the late post - totally missed it last time!

2014 Snowmobile Season: Episode Ten: Viper Issues HD (720p)

Video Description: Starting with a Viper that won't start with a warm engine this time, a leaking air shock in the track, riding down the lake over large drifts, breaking trail, getting stuck in overflow/slush, the engine wanting to stall out in deep snow, bogging out with power loss in powder, hiking around the falls that flow from Hearne Lake into Watta Lake, a ptarmigan on the trail, riding the rough lakes back to the lodge, messing with a frozen gas cap, the steering freezes solid just before our ride home, and a preview of the next episode: Sled On Fire

2014 Snowmobile Season: Episode Eleven: Sled on Fire HD (720p)

Video Description: Snowmobiling in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada and my rental sled catching fire before leaving the parking lot, riding on a couple of Arctic Cat modified M8's and a 2014 Polaris RMK, reviewing the work on the Nytro XTX and Viper, a quick Outlast Clothing update, losing tools from an open tool bag on the Viper, carving powder en route to Berry Hill and identifying more Viper issues, instructing Brayden through getting un-stuck, and a preview of the next episode

Cheers,

YK

One thing I noticed on the Yamaha TY Manitoba ride was that the Viper has like a straight up and down wall behind each ski. That flat wall just pushes snow rather then lifting the front up. Watching your video confirms what I saw when the Viper was playing in waist deep snow. Worst was when trying to carve from side to side. That wall would drop down into the snow and stop or almost stop the sled.

Hope Yami fixes your cold start issues! Keep up with the vids they are a good source of entertainment.

Wow you definatly aren't having much luck with the viper. I do the same kind of riding in the same kind of temps and area and would probably be having the same issues if i could have afforded to buy one this year. I'm glad I can't afford one for a few more years, maybe they will have the bugs worked out by then.
The viper sure looks pretty but I am not impressed with it with all the troubles you are having. I think the fox shocks are good shocks, but they have their place. I don't think in the middle of nowhere in the NWT where you ride is the place. It seems you have had some issues with them also. It must suck to have a brand new $15,000 sled and not trust it to ride where ever, when ever you want. You have way more patience that me. I realy hope you, or should I say yamaha, get things figured out with this sled. I have read that the the bugs on the 2015 vipers are all figured out, it must be BS otherwise they should be able to fix the 2014's.

Good luck

Man o man I would burn that viper already. It must have been made on a monday or a friday. Absolutly nothing but problems for you. I would be EXTREMELY PI$$ED if I bought a new sled and had all those issues.
Better buy another left over nytro xtx before they are all gone.

from the looks of things I am sure you know what you are doing but I just have to ask.
why don't you pull off the stock skis on the viper and run something/anything wider for a ski?
You appear to constantly be in deep snow and breaking trail. I would think it might help to keep the front end up some.
If the front end stays up out of the snow you wont plow so much and will take in less snow through your belly pans and other areas. seems like a win win situation, no?

A-arm protectors mounted on the underside of the lower a-arm act like a ski as well. Put them on my 05 Vector for protection never thinking about how they would help me in deeper snow (not that I go there anyway!) but just ripping around the fields by my house....WOW....what a difference!

Back