• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled Deck on A Chevy 1/2 Ton

BTW
My first trip up north, in 1985, i put a hitch on a 1978 Honda Civic with basically a street legal yard trailer.
I tapped into the brake lights 10 minutes before we left.
I had to go down hills at 80 to get up the other side.
Topped off the oil every hour.

I've been hooked ever since!
It's where the O in OCD started as in OH MY GOD!
You had lights? Mine was a plate with a ball mounted on it I bolted to the back of a 1977 Plymouth Volare. We hooked my buddys dads 4 place to it and headed to the U.P. with a couple of ski doo blizzards. We reasoned that since we would be driving during the day we could get bye without lights.

My god how fun it was to be young & naive!
Not a care in the world

Mine was a 1981 Blizzard 5500 also

I was going to remove my aluminum deck off my old sled trailer , take off my old bed 1977 Ford 4x4 and mount deck to frame with a couple of braces up under for extra support but never did .. . But then I wasn’t ever going to haul any sleds , no where to mount ramp anywhere anyway ..just to haul whatever on it . Bed is still on it

I could do it with my F150, wouldn't want to, but It would be right at the "legal" weight limit (1650# payload) with just me, no passengers. A Steel deck like that, with plywood is probably around 500#. Toss on 2 600#+ sleds (full of fluids) and your over 1700# already. Most 1/2 ton trucks come with Squishy P-metric tires also which wouldn't play well with a high center load like a loaded sled deck, I upgraded to Load C rated tires on my truck and it help load/towing stability a lot.

Could you - Probably.

Should you - Probably not.

What year pickup or do you know the GVWR?

Odds are you will need to add extra leaves to the springs, air bags and/or timbren kit for the weight. Do it all the time at work as modern trucks have issues hauling 1 sled/atv in the box most times. I would go the timbren kit route as they help a lot with the top sway. Have had the kit on 3 of my last 4 trucks. Tried air bags on last one and was more maintenance than I wanted.

Install a set of Timbren on your 1/2 ton, it turns it into a 3/4 ton for a few hundred bucks. I put them on my 1/2 ton years ago before I bought a truck camper when my son was moto cross racing......they worked great

Adding suspension parts does not increase your trucks GVWR or turn it into a 3/4 ton. It may appear to not be crushing your truck by keeping it level but the axle, brakes, frame, etc are still 1/2 ton components.

Back