• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

So whats the deal now with closing off of the tunnel?

Phazed

Pro
I haven't been around here in a while. I was wondering if anything came of the whole open tunnel issue. Last I heard was that the tunnel was open so snow would hit the exhaust and cool it. I have my tunnel semi-closed But I would like to completely close it off. So whats the word?

Here is how I have my tunnel right now, BTW:

tunnel2.jpg

every one is so quick to close it off just because the ice. they make pannels to block it from the side. the exhasust is desinged to be cooled by snow. when it gets over heated it created back pressure and u lose hp and also can cause prematre engin problems cuase ur not letting the heat out of the motor so if u dont have the fan on ur radator ull have a better chance of over heating then befor. my rule of thumb is if thast the way it was designed leave it alone

Exhaust ALWAYS works better when hot.Keeping the heat in the pipes where it belongs is a goal of just about any highperformance vehicle and is reason there is Ceramic coatings and headerwraps.More than likely reason Yamaha chose to route the pipes above the tunnel is just for a straighter shot and track clearance.The holes were put there to prevent seat and plastic from getting hot which has proven not to be a issue.

cannondale27 is absolutely right about that!
Just close it, rode mine for 2500km with tunnel closed last year. No problem!

I just picked up my GT from my dealer after the warranty fix. He said he had just received tunnel enclosure pieces. They are simple a simple flat piece of sheet metal that have small louvers on them. They are made by excell and cost is $69 installed. SOLD!!!
It is obvious that the tunnel should be closed. I was sick and tired of being covered with ice. :-o

Cork

Yes, my tunnel will be closed for this season as well. I would like to have the louvers too, but I can't find anyone local with a louver press.

Trevor

I installed the excell exhaust with tunnel block-off plate, high quality piece and it looks and sounds sweet. With after market exhaust heat is not an issue so blocking off tunnel is fine. Would be careful with stock exhaust as it retains a lot of heat to lower db output. WOW, does that exhaust sound sweet !

i had heard that phazer test mules had the tunnels closed but that late season riding caused melting panels. riding in cold temps has not caused any problems on mine.

Attachments

• 2007-11-23 020.jpg
    2007-11-23 020.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,004
Closed both holes on mine, best mod that I have done yet... No more ice and no more riding around with my feet in fish bowls...

Closed the back one on mine but haven't ridden it yet. Soon though. We are getting snow now.

Closed my back half last year and what a difference. When I rode at the end of the season it was about 40-45 degrees out and no overheating issues. We actually got to ride hard because we didn't have the kids with us so no worrying about someone screaming we are going to fast or what ever the case. No overheating issues and no wet sloshy feet like I had all year last year. Ended us throwing out my boots because they were destroyed last year. I was at the dealer for the recall notice I received and was talking to him about the closed tunnel and such. He got me a radiator from Yamaha for the overheating issue so that goes on today since I just got it yesterday. We talked about Yamaha claiming there were delers at the dealer training that did have melted plastic because they closed the tunnels off. I just don't see how since the exhaust on both my 4 wheelers are right on the plastic and no melting there. I will probably wrap my exhaust and see what it does but I know the rear will stay closed along with the sides by the tunnel vent. I also talkeed to him about Yamaha's new design of the 08's and how they have the hole side and back blocked off like the 08 Nytro's. Looks very clean but I would rather have the back half closed and get some snow on the header pipe to cool some of that off. Will keep you posted. Could possibly go for a blast today in the power lines and see how she goes.

Re

I'm just wondering if anyone has closed off the tunnel on a 2008 phazer. I still get ice coming down the sides of the tunnel and lots of ice buildup so I was thinking about closing off the tunnel. My question is will I melt the plastic if I close it off since yamaha put on those side panels and other plastic which undoubtedly helps hold more heat?? Any feedback appreciated.

Re: Re

yukonranger said:
My question is will I melt the plastic if I close it off since yamaha put on those side panels and other plastic which undoubtedly helps hold more heat?? Any feedback appreciated.

Thinking about that too... When I close the rear hole I may just take the rear side panels off. I think it looks better without them anyway.

Back