• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Speculation on '09 Apex Engine

there certainaly more power in the 998 engine, and it has been going through a steady stream of development, can't see yamaha using the 3 holer in the hypersled category, just have to wait and see it ought to be intresting

75% certain Apex lineup will remain basically the same w/o any increase in HP. 95% certain 130 FI motor will make its way into Vector lineup.

Lots of digging around and talking to key individuals say higher HP motor will not be released until @ 2010. We'll find out March 13th!!!

Mikey said:
Advertising is all about HP. HP=Sales. Right now 150 isnt very much all things considered

Like I said supercharge it or turbo it 150 hp on A stock sled is enough. Unless you are in the mountains or racing on ice 150 hp is just fine. Refine the chassis that makes alot more sense...

If you've ever been on a lake and your riding buddy flips you the bird and leaves you in the snowdust, you'd want the extra hp. If you've never held it to the bar for at least 10 seconds, 150 hp is probably too much. 175 horses for a 500+ pound snowmobile would be just about right. With the prices going up and up, Yamaha will have to give us some serious horsepower for their soon to be released $13,000 flagship. I also believe that the new chassis will be just as improved as the new motor.

As far as turbo/superchargers go, there is way too much maintenance and TLC involved for the average weekend warrior to fully enjoy. $5000 minimum is a bit steep for all but the most dedicated boostheads. BTW if I hit the lotto tomorrow, I'll be boosted by the weekend.

Yamaha, if your listening, I'll take my 2009, 128", 175 hp, GT in black please, and you might as well throw power steering in too.

Mikey said:
Advertising is all about HP. HP=Sales. Right now 150 isnt very much all things considered

Like I said supercharge it or turbo it 150 hp on A stock sled is enough. Unless you are in the mountains or racing on ice 150 hp is just fine. Refine the chassis that makes alot more sense...

And im in the mountains. 150hp just doesnt work with the weight.
You could supercharge it which is what i did but then you have 6k more into the sled than you wanted and its not as turnkey as stock. I had minor problems which are fixed, but my sled was down like 3 weeks in the process

Everyone has presented some very interesting guesses as to what may happen.
I personally dont think we will see a 170 hp Apex for '09. Most likely, I think you will see the Genesis 120 dropped and you will see the Genesis 130FI take it's place in the RS Vector. I could see Yamaha moving completely away from carburated engines.
I could see them coming out with a 1200 or 1300 sometime in the future, but I personally dont think it will change for '09.
I guess we will just have to see whats what on March 13th.

Mikey said:

X2 ;)!

Back