• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Straightline Ice Scratchers

superfan75

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX Warrior
Last winter I got a set of Straightline Ice Scratchers and I mounted them on my skis. They worked okay, but I mounted them to the ski mount in front of the spindle on my Simmons skis and they aren't high enough. The cable will actually drag in the snow. I was going to install a piece of aluminum to the ski mount so I could mount the ice trackers about 3" higher which should be just about right. Then the other day I saw that straightline has a mount to mount them to the a arm. Has anyone used the a arm mount and what do you think of them? Also is there a good way to hold the scratcher up when its not needed ? This is important to me since I don't need them very often. I was thinking I could hold it up with a bracket on the ski, but I wasn't sure with the suspension movement if it would be difficult to keep it on the holder.

I'm not a scratcher user don't want risk of scratcher bouncing in rear skid at high speed. I saw the A arm mount & thought maybe these are for me? It looked like the cables could hook in mount slot but not sure from photo. I see why you are interested looks promising.

I did this with my scratchers.
IMG_5473.JPG

I did this with my scratchers. View attachment 112431
Thanx for the pic steiner, that is how I have mine mounted now, but they just don't seem high enough off the ground. It may be because of the Simmons and how they are such a low profile ski. I may have also gotten the wrong length, I got the long cables intending to use them on the rear suspension. The problem was with the suspension I have ( 2000 Ski Doo Grand Touring ) there wasn't any good place to mount the scratchers. It would've had to been so far back on the rails that they wouldn't have done any good. That's when I decided to mount them on the skis. I'm thinking if I raise them mounting point about 3" then it would be about the same height as being on the rear rails.

I was going to install a piece of aluminum to the ski mount so I could mount the ice trackers about 3" higher which should be just about right.
Superfan, this is exactly what I did to my Pilot 6.9's. I used a strip of sheet metal that bolts to a flat spot on the side like Steiner did to his ski's. ;)!

Just determine how high you need the cable to be and trim the plate accordingly. I would use steel though. I don't think a thin, flat aluminum strip would hold up.

20151129_080451.jpg
20151129_080519.jpg

Last edited:
20151129_081740.jpg

This is what the scratcher install looks like on my 14 Vector LTX. Notice the wear mark in the back side of the rail. This was after one season of hooking them in the rails when not in use. This fall I added the hangars as show.

I think one has a better chance of getting hit by another sledder than having a scratcher fly off and go into one's tunnel. :rolleyes:

View attachment 112434

This is what the scratcher install looks like on my 14 Vector LTX. Notice the wear mark in the back side of the rail. This was after one season of hooking them in the rails when not in use. This fall I added the hangars as show.

I think one has a better chance of getting hit by another sledder than having a scratcher fly off and go into one's tunnel. :rolleyes:
Do you ride that thing? There are zero paint chips on the arms. :hide:

Lol...I had to say it. I know you take immaculate care of your sleds. ;)!

OK Guys you made me come out to garage and make this, your opinions.
It's not painted yet but didn't want to drill holes in ski saddle or skid rails?
Figureing out still how I'll make non using hanger.
IMG_20151129_103003.jpg
IMG_20151129_102945.jpg
IMG_20151129_103012.jpg

Larry, I made these brackets long ago for the stock ski's that came on my Vector. They sandwich on with the wear bar studs. It's just a piece of angle.

Also, I welded a small strap to each scratcher and use a second bolt. This eliminates any possibility of the scratcher from turning and becoming useless.

I haven't used these in 4 yrs.

20151129_080713.jpg
20151129_080604.jpg
20151129_080618.jpg
20151129_080755.jpg

Larry, I made these brackets long ago for the stock ski's that came on my Vector. They sandwich on with the wear bar studs. It's just a piece of angle.

Also, I welded a small strap to each scratcher and use a second bolt. This eliminates any possibility of the scratcher from turning and becoming useless.

I haven't used these in 4 yrs.

View attachment 112439 View attachment 112440 View attachment 112441 View attachment 112442
Hey Joe that's real good idea.
What did ya use for hanger?

OK Guys you made me come out to garage and make this, your opinions.
It's not painted yet but didn't want to drill holes in ski saddle or skid rails?
Figureing out still how I'll make non using hanger.

Looks good. My only concerns is only one bolt holding the plate. It looks like it could pivot. I like what Northernsledder has done utilizing the carbide bolt holes. No extra holes to drill in the skis.
With your metal ski saddles this type of setup would be almost unnoticeable when painted to match.

With my scratchers I ground the bolt hole end down till I had a tab sticking out. On the metal plate that they bolt to I drilled an index hole to keep the scratchers from turning on the mounting plate.

Looks good. My only concerns is only one bolt holding the plate. It looks like it could pivot. I like what Northernsledder has done utilizing the carbide bolt holes. No extra holes to drill in the skis.
With your metal ski saddles this type of setup would be almost unnoticeable when painted to match.

With my scratchers I ground the bolt hole end down till I had a tab sticking out. On the metal plate that they bolt to I drilled an index hole to keep the scratchers from turning on the mounting plate.
Ya I like northern bracket.
If ya can see mine in pic, bottom of bracket is square to top of ski so it shouldn't turn (I hope), Iam hoping for scratcher to not turn the end it nurled with small teeth-hoping I can reaf it tight enough to not turn (or I'll weld it to bracket like northern did.

What you used to hang scratchers up when not using, don't want them down unless needed.
Ok, I got you...

I don't hang mine. I leave them down constantly. I have the older style without the carbide insert. When the hook wears down, I just spot weld them back to new-ish length. Also, I spot welded the hooks into the threaded cable end because I had trouble with them coming loose and turning.

Like Steiner said, I really think a second bolt is a good idea and cheap insurance! I wouldn't worry so much about your bracket turning as much as I would twisting it. You might catch those hooks in the gap between your trailer and ramp or a bridge and twist the brackets before the hooks come out. Look at my Pilot bracket; it has a small, bent strip welded to the plate that spans in between the mounting bolts for extra rigidity. This may not be necessary, but I've never twisted it either. Build it once, without question.

:Rockon:

Back