• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stub shaft bearing.

ryama

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder R-TX
Started my maintenance program and noticed the bearing that holds the stub shaft had moved in a bit. I blew my first belt last season and have heard this can happen.
My question is. Should Iuse green loctite on the bearing to housing ? Seen it done on shaft too bearing. But not the other way.

Isn’t the bearing pressed against a shoulder in housing and on stub shaft? If so is it moving in housing or stub shaft moving in bearing?

Isn’t the bearing pressed against a shoulder in housing and on stub shaft? If so is it moving in housing or stub shaft moving in bearing?
I can only speak too my own case. And in my situation the bearing was at least 1 mm from the outer shoulder in the housing.

When pressing bearing back into case, I would use loctite for sure....

belt blow slams clutch sheaves shut and that force pushes the entire bearing inward, shaft to bearing connection is fine as it cannot move further.....its the bearing that moves inward from engine case. Can see the space by eye.

Dan

When pressing bearing back into case, I would use loctite for sure....

belt blow slams clutch sheaves shut and that force pushes the entire bearing inward, shaft to bearing connection is fine as it cannot move further.....its the bearing that moves inward from engine case. Can see the space by eye.

Dan
Geeze. That has to be hard on crank endplay. I assume the male and female splines bottom at that point?

Geeze. That has to be hard on crank endplay. I assume the male and female splines bottom at that point?
Yeah when I took mine out to explore the design, I saw a small amount of spline end play, so I believe that became tight on mine when it got mashed inward. I think the spline end play was what stopped mine from going further. Not sure if the bearing is green loctited into the case or not, but sure should be. These snaps under heavy acceration(tuned) can slam that clutch hard.

Dan

I was lucky enough to blow my first belt and a chunk of belt got smashed behind clutch and ripped a hole in the water pump hose. Drained the motor right there and the clutch flung coolant everywhere. Also belt cords wound around the crank until it pushed the bearing seal into the bearing on stub shaft. Had to replace bearing and I pushed the bearing in till it bottomed tight but didnt use locktite.

Pretty sure mine is pushed in also. I have 61mm offset. Was planning on shaving off 3mm from my secondary. Should I deal with the primary first or leave it alone and do the secondary? If I shave the secondary, do I need to shave the same amount off the spacer inside the secondary?

Pretty sure mine is pushed in also. I have 61mm offset. Was planning on shaving off 3mm from my secondary. Should I deal with the primary first or leave it alone and do the secondary? If I shave the secondary, do I need to shave the same amount off the spacer inside the secondary?
Fix the stub shaft first. Should be a snapring in there

With mine pushed inward, I could NOT quite get the full offset I needed to get to Dave's bar. I know this because I mocked up a full shift scenario, and 2ndary clutch RUBBED at backside. So I ended up 1mm shy.

I would fix that stub shaft bearing first, get it seated properly then you can get your offset where Dave's bar wants it. And Sure enough I ran same belt all season(Ultimax)

Dan

Last edited:
With mine pushed inward, I could NOT quite get the full offset I needed to get to Dave's bar. I know this because I mocked up a full shift scenario, and clutch RUBBED at backside. So I ended up 1mm shy.

I would fix that stub shaft bearing first, get it seated properly then you can get your offset where Dave's bar wants it. And Sure enough I ran same belt all season(Ultimax)

Dan
So if the backside of my primary has rub marks on it, that means it has moved?

Back