• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stub shaft bearing.

I used the heat gun to warm the flange of the shaft assembly. That will help ease it out.

A slide hammer is how i drug mine out. Use the clutch bolt with 'u' shaped piece of steel to attach the clutch bolt to the slide hammer. With heat and some penetrating oil, it comes right off.
MS

I used the heat gun to warm the flange of the shaft assembly. That will help ease it out.

A slide hammer is how i drug mine out. Use the clutch bolt with 'u' shaped piece of steel to attach the clutch bolt to the slide hammer. With heat and some penetrating oil, it comes right off.
MS

on a ‘21 ?

I have not had a '21 SW apart.
I have had a Nytro apart and a '18 SW.
Pretty sure they have all been put together the same.
MS

Adding this to my "if tuned address it" list. Mine has been fine and has 11k. Wife's with 4k did this yesterday. Not a cheap way to end the season.
IMG_20210313_182000.jpg
IMG_20210313_181959.jpg

Adding this to my "if tuned address it" list. Mine has been fine and has 11k. Wife's with 4k did this yesterday. Not a cheap way to end the season.View attachment 160584 View attachment 160585
Ouch!! Man must have blown a belt and it hit hard to push the shaft in that deep..
I've seen clutches rub the bolts but never seen them sheared... that's crazy!!!

Yeah, something hit the secondary and took a good chunk out of it too.

tuned or not. Everyone is going to blow a belt sometime on these sidewinders and for the type of damage to occur is that not something Yamaha should be addressing by form of a recall to seat a new bearing in there with green locktite? Seeing that primary and secondary damage it's unbelievable that this is not considered to be a recall keeping safety in mind. It's great we have a site like this and are handy but surely everyone can agree the stub shaft is an issue and simple enough to correct but what's it going to take here? Aside from catching a weight in the shin is the whole primary going to have to rocket out of the machine before this is identified as being an issue? Everything about that primary and the shaft it is on should be thrown in the dumpster and why they strayed away from the Apex primary is beyond me. After all, when the Sidewinder came out most owners coming off Apex/Nytros first question was, "is it a Yamaha clutch?".

My thoughts are Yamaha is loving the revolving door parts sale after the machine is sold and it's something they are not used to with the Apex/Nytro but they are just toeing the line enough. IMO Just seems easy enough for everyone here including myself to address to resolve this yet not so for Yamaha to come to bat on? Not even going to talk about the rest of what's inside that primary either...

My guess is a certain brand of weight broke causing all that carnage, whether it happened before or after a belt blow is irrelevant. The weight shouldn't have broke taking the clutch with it. Where is the weight that came out of there and what does it look like? Seen this before.

My guess is a certain brand of weight broke causing all that carnage, whether it happened before or after a belt blow is irrelevant. The weight shouldn't have broke taking the clutch with it. Where is the weight that came out of there and what does it look like? Seen this before.
Doesn't sound like a very educated guess to me. I've had no problems with an identical set up on my other winder which has tripple the miles this set up has. Belt blew and moved the stub shaft bearing. I can't see a weight breaking causing the stub shaft to move

This is McKabe's post on FB.
Says in the post, blew a belt (which will cause the snub shaft moved in).

I see McKabe just posted the same thing.

McKabe Memmel

14 March tadtt Spongdo1dfnS1sottors:tenosud56o ·
Well that's a great day to end the season. Both primary and secondary are junk. I think stub shaft moved and caught the bolts and sheared them off.

3Steve Spiering and 2 others
26 comments
Comment

Zooming in on that roller, it don't look good.
I'd like to see the weight also
Rollers are actually good, I think the shadow makes it look funny too. They are nice and tight and no grooves or wear.

I'm not sure what caused it rollers or cam arms or even a blown belt. Regardless that primary has been rubbing on those four bolts long enough to take the head off. I doubt a blown belt would have caused all that carnage all at one time. Either way with the primary rubbing on those bolts it had to of been vibrating like a mother when was the last time you pulled the side panel and look things over. Leave it stock or pay the price.

Back