• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer TECH Contest DIY Steering Bushings

nice write up. I just did this, but I did not have to remove, or loosen the oil tank. I did all the stuff late last winter when OFT was closed, so I got OEM parts. I already feel way too much play in that upper bushing after only 300-400 miles. I wish OFT had been open, because now I will have to redo this sometime soon anyway. Oh well JMO, don't use OEM, especially on the upper shaft bushing.

APEX 06 said:
I like the stock ones over the oiled metal. To be they make the bars stiff or it could just be me. Lol
I noticed this too when i did the rx! I think over time it will loosen slightly, maybe not! Time will tell

JROCK said:
APEX 06 said:
I like the stock ones over the oiled metal. To be they make the bars stiff or it could just be me. Lol
I noticed this too when i did the rx! I think over time it will loosen slightly, maybe not! Time will tell

Now you guys have me concearned. I don't want to puchase and install the oft's, if I won't like them. Oem's just seem to loosen real fast. Any other opinions on the OFT's(sorry. don't mean to hi-jack the thread....but it IS about the same subject.

I just did this mod this spring and i installed the OFT blocks. The good thing is the OFT blocks will last forever. One of my goals was to remove all play from myvsteering, and those blocks did remove a lot of play. I then removed the rest by replacing a large section of the steering column and linkages. It worked sweet. I also put a liberal amount of synthetic grease inside the OFT blocks when i installed. The bars are firm and turn a tad harder, but are not tough to turn. I view the mods sidebeffevtbofvtightening up the steering as a real positive, not a negative at all.

For step 14 you may want to add a grease fitting to this location. Takes a few extra minutes but then it is real easy to grease. Need to drill hole in bushing opposite grease fitting and seal bushing to plate with silicone. This will allow grease to be forced around steering shaft otherwise it will just ooze out around the bushing.........

Attachments

• RTX 004.jpg
    RTX 004.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 187
For the other locations I drilled a small hole in each end of the bushings to allow you to lubricate with Fluid Film. Each end of the plastic bushings has a sort of hollow collar cast in it that will hold grease which eventually migrates into the bushing. Once the holes are in place lift the front of the sled and move the steering back and forth while giving each bushing a shot of Fluid Film and all the squeeks and groans disappear. They can be lubricated easily though out the season.........

Attachments

• RTX 003.jpg
    RTX 003.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 192
  • RTX 002.jpg
    RTX 002.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 187
  • RTX 007.jpg
    RTX 007.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 173
  • RTX 005.jpg
    RTX 005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 185
  • RTX 006.jpg
    RTX 006.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 198
  • RTX 009.jpg
    RTX 009.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 187
APEX 06 said:
Did you use grease the last time. You have to use the high end stuff.

Is it really necessary?

I did my OFT steering bushings in the spring and because they are made of oilite, I didn't think adding any lube was necessary?

I can tell already, after the install, that my steering is tighter but my gut tells me things will loosen up after a few rides?

Should I start lifting weights or will they in fact loosen up a touch?

Back