• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Summer TECH Contest DIY Steering Bushings

I called OFT on my bushings and they said no lube as well, it will just pick up dirt and in the cold the grease will make it harder to turn.

Mine are installed bone dry and she steers easy.

I'm sure they will work fine either way, but I wasn't going to install the OFT blocks without a dab of Amsoil syn grease in there. Just my opinion tho.

I put a zerk fittng into all of mine and to remote fittings on steering post when I do oil change and skid lube I hit them with one shot while sled is apart the original set wore out quick the new set with grease doesn't seem to be worn out now its been three years since modification so we will see

Whats the best way to check these bushings? I have mine all apart doing the donuts and came across this thread. Thought I may as well check them...tks for the help

so check it with the skis on the ground? sounds like the stock bushings are not worth putting back in?

kered said:
so check it with the skis on the ground? sounds like the stock bushings are not worth putting back in?

Yes have the skis on the ground, I have run the stock bushings and the oilite bushing. The oilite bushing I fell make the bars stiff tell they break in.

How long do the stock bushings last? Do you know what the torque is for the a arm and bulk head bolts. Im doing those bushings to.

kered said:
How long do the stock bushings last? Do you know what the torque is for the a arm and bulk head bolts. Im doing those bushings to.

They have last 2500-3000 miles most of the time and they would needed replacing.

I don't remember what the torque is anymore but the bulk head bolts will stop before they make full contact with the bulk head the bolt should still spin when done.

Whats the trick to getting the engine compartment bushings in? I read something about using a socket and an extension? Do those plastic covers have to be replaced on the a arms as well? Im putting in the oilite bushings?

kered said:
Whats the trick to getting the engine compartment bushings in? I read something about using a socket and an extension? Do those plastic covers have to be replaced on the a arms as well? Im putting in the oilite bushings?

Yes you are going to want to get new caps with out them there will be a lot of movement. Some go in easy and others you have to press them into the bulk head I have used a bolt long with washers and a bolt to press them in.

This should help
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Back