• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

suspension setup question

billey100

Pro
Website
lusecannon.wordpress.com
Guys I dont want to beat a dead horse but I am having trouble figuring this out. I have read all the charts, and looked at all the suspension settings for the 08's. At the end of last year my carbides were absolutely shot, I mean should have been replaced a trip or two before when I got rid of them. Problem is the less carbide and the more worn they got the better it handled for me. I really didnt want to take them off, I felt like I could point and shoot corners how ever I wanted to. Different from the rest of the year where I bit into corners and had some inside ski lift. Almost as if the ski keel from the amount of the forward weight was just enough to give me bite even w/o carbides. It was the fastest I could run since I have had the sled and I was really smiling after a ride.

My question is how can I recreate that now that I put carbides back on (btw 4" shapers are on it now)? Also it seems opposite of what other are doing with limiter straps and settings. I obviously dont want more ski lift. I am running the stock skis on a stock 08 RTX, would aftermarket skis give me less bite or more?

You can get just wear bars that will have no carbide in them. I have made them in the past when I was in school and a broke sledder. Just some round bar and thread rod welded on.

Too much weight being carried on the skis. Two ways to look at it and either one may cause that. Too much preload on the front ski springs, or not enough preload on your front skid spring. One way of telling which is how well the sled is transferring. Is the sled lifting the front end easily, too easily, or not at all when you accelerate hard? If it's not lifting it at all, or maybe just barely, you likely don't have enough preload on the front skid spring. Otherwise, and it's likely too much preload on your ski springs.....which would be my first bet.

I'm assuming the limiter strap is all the way out and the tension on your rear torsion springs have been properly set for your weight.

get rid of the shapers and get some qualipieces cobra head runners. probaly 6 inch. I have a set on my xtx and they work great for anti darting and for some reason they give the sled just a tad of predictable understeer that I love. The sled never wants to lift the inside ski, even when I'm not leaning hard. Other carbides were more "edgy" This is what I will run from now on and I think you'd like these.

My opinion is that all 08 Nytros, due to the aggressive geometry, should have a set of aftermarket skis that are designed to eliminate darting.

I put simmon skis on my dad's Nytro, and that thing is a dream to drive. I never driven a sled that tracks so straight down the trail yet just turns and rails so easily. My dad is the biggest "keep it stock and don't mess with it" guy I know and even he says those skis are the best thing ever.

I think the agressive geometry of the 08 front end and the charactertics of the simmons to numb the twitchiness of sleds on the trails makes for a perfect combination for the Nytro.

I am sure other aftermarket skis do the trick as well, but make sure they are not designed to be super aggresive trail skis, look for shallow keels and designs that reduce darting.

ahicks said:
Too much weight being carried on the skis. Two ways to look at it and either one may cause that. Too much preload on the front ski springs, or not enough preload on your front skid spring. One way of telling which is how well the sled is transferring. Is the sled lifting the front end easily, too easily, or not at all when you accelerate hard? If it's not lifting it at all, or maybe just barely, you likely don't have enough preload on the front skid spring. Otherwise, and it's likely too much preload on your ski springs.....which would be my first bet.

I'm assuming the limiter strap is all the way out and the tension on your rear torsion springs have been properly set for your weight.

Hicks I am running floats up front but I run them pretty low to most guys, around 60 but I never bottom out. Secondly the front skid spring is pretty much back to stock, but I feel like I have a pretty good balance of lifting the skis.

get rid of the shapers and get some qualipieces cobra head runners. probaly 6 inch. I have a set on my xtx and they work great for anti darting and for some reason they give the sled just a tad of predictable understeer that I love. The sled never wants to lift the inside ski, even when I'm not leaning hard. Other carbides were more "edgy" This is what I will run from now on and I think you'd like these.

Justinator where did you get those so I can check them out. I think that predictable understeer is the wording I am looking for that I experienced those great rides with no carbides. I am a decent size guy so I like to run into the corner hard and use weight and muscle to turn, seems like if you run in that hot and have edgy carbides when I finally do turn the skis all it wants to do is roll. When that outside ski doesnt bite and pick me up I can muscle through turning w/o lifting on the gas. Is this kinda what you got from adding those? You are running those on a stock ski correct?

My opinion is that all 08 Nytros, due to the aggressive geometry, should have a set of aftermarket skis that are designed to eliminate darting.

I put simmon skis on my dad's Nytro, and that thing is a dream to drive. I never driven a sled that tracks so straight down the trail yet just turns and rails so easily. My dad is the biggest "keep it stock and don't mess with it" guy I know and even he says those skis are the best thing ever.

I think the agressive geometry of the 08 front end and the charactertics of the simmons to numb the twitchiness of sleds on the trails makes for a perfect combination for the Nytro.

I am sure other aftermarket skis do the trick as well, but make sure they are not designed to be super aggresive trail skis, look for shallow keels and designs that reduce darting.

Kuss my problem is I read so many things about so many skis I dont have the money to get it wrong so I have just been dealing with it. I almost bought pilots but not sure if a dual carbide would help or hurt my cause of getting something less edgy or help?

tkuss said:

How do you feel the simmons would be on an 09 XTX?????

I think they would work great on a XTX.

The thing is I think that Yamahas skis are so old and outdated, if you go to any aftermarket ski you are going to see a huge improvement over stock and then you will think whatever ski you have is the best out there.

I also forgot, read this. If you havent already.
http://www.hygearsuspension.com/2008%20 ... 20Test.pdf
Doesn't really give any setup tips, but you can learn about the nytro suspension a bit.

These guys, felt the Pilot skis were better feeling on a Nytro than the Simmons. I have heard nothing but good things about the pilots. But after seeing and feeling the difference the simmons made to the sled it would be hard not to buy those again for my future sleds.

tkuss- are you talking simmons gen1 or genII?

I'am with billey, with the price of ski's and enough talk to make your head spin how do you choose? I think I might wait one more year try riding other peoples sleds to get my own opinions.

Billey, we talked about this up on tug hill. I ran into the same thing when I put new bars on my 08. It handle OK with the worn bars but when I replaced them with 4" Woody's the handling went to hell. I made several adjustments and even did the ball joint mod but couldn't get close to what I had with the old bars. I pulled the Woody's and installed Stud boy deuce wear bars, made a few adjustment and now it's the best it's ever been. I think replacing the Yamaha skis with something like pilots is the best option but their not cheap. I'd go with dual runner carbides or maybe Bergstrom triple points if you don't replace your skis.

I should have let you take mine for a ride at Talbots Corners. It would have convinced you.

Yeah Grizz I should have taken it, it's the only way to really figure out what setup you like. I have to keep trying other people's ski's I guess. Just hard to pin everything on skis when so many other things could be setup different. I would be interested in trying a set of pilots with dual carbides. I am not familiar with the Simmons are they a dual carbide as well? I love that Curve will let you test and tune before you buy, I wish a dealer would do that with a bunch of different skis so you could figure out what you like best. Curve's are just out of my budget with a 5 month old...

I dont know if this helps but as far as darting I have a xtx simmons and bergstrom runners and no darting at all just point and shoot and great in bumps and off trail. friend has 06 nytro bought simmions just like mine but less carbide and no darting from my tracks and I get none from his. I was worried about that especialy on new groomed trails. friend was going to sell his 06 due to poor handling and you would have to pry it from is dead hands now. Night and Day. Don't think you can go wrong with simmions on any sled. Set it up for them and fly. Thought it might help.

Billey, I think we have a set of Simmons at the shop. I'm not sure how much of a rush you are in but if you want to meet us at a demo sometime early season, we can bring them up and let you try both. Also, let me know what skis you have your eyes on and if they come in through our trade-in program, we'll try to bring those with us too. Regardless, we'd like to help you any way we can in getting that Nytro up to your standards. It can be done so have faith!

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.RideWithRobbie.com

Back