• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sylvania Silverstar headlights - Excellent on Apex

Bought the Ultras tonight. Will put them this week.

i run PIAA SUPERPLASMA bulbs 135watts high/ 125watts on low,2 tone bulb.it still draws 60/55 from machine,differant gas in bulb.talked to a guy at PIAA, said it will not harm or melt lens.been runnin them for over a year LOVE THEM!!.similar bulbs on offroad trucks in dakar racing.i like to SEE at night,there AMAZING!!.got them for $48 A PIECE from denniskirk catalog. money well spent!!

Silverstar Ultras are supposed to be even brighter. As a test I put just one ultra in at first and could see the huge difference between stock and the Ultra.

My biggest concern is the fact the headlight points either too high or too low. Has anyone found a way to keep these headlights pointed in the right direction?

ult680 said:
My biggest concern is the fact the headlight points either too high or too low. Has anyone found a way to keep these headlights pointed in the right direction?
There's a sticky here. Short version is two washers shimming the headlight back in the lens. It works, sort of. Apparently the headlight reflector/lens is designed wrong giving too much aiming disparity between high and low beams. Worst headlight I've ever had on a snowmobile.

I jst bought the 9003's tonight after I noticed that I somehow broke the bulb on my stockers!!!??? Anybody else seen this? It just broke while riding!

What I'm going to try is HID's I put them in my car and holy cr@p would be a huge under statement. They reflect everything and you can see them coming from huge distances, plus they don't blind on coming traffic if they are adjusted correctly. The only problem I can forsee is where to mount the d@mn transformer (since they run at like a bazillion volts and ur sled is only 12 volts) cuz you also have to make sure the transformers don't move at all. If I figure it out I'll repost. BTW I've had regular silverstars in for about 3200 miles still no problems.

i think i know what the problem is for highbeam.just looked at buddies superduty truck and noticed a CAP over bulb in light.does not have problem with highbeam being to high. what i think is happening is the CAP is deverting the light on HIGH where LOW is at,just a matter of angle.when its on low the coil closest to you sitting on sled is lit,when on high,the coil further away is lit on bulb causing light to bounce differantly off the mirrors shooting high way up.the CAP deverts the light into the right spots in the mirror.gonna rig something,i'll let everyone know how it goes! :home:

OK Guys now that the season is winding down

How did the Silver Stars work? Early failures ? Is it so white you see to much snow dust and distract from the trail ?

Any reason to not up grade to the Silver Star Ultra's? I somehow broke one of mine at 4k miles

Yamadoo

Yamadoo, I ran them in my Viper for 3 seasons and have had them in my Attak for 2,000 miles. Never had any problems. And neither of these machines has been babied!! As long as you don't touch them with your bare hand when installing, I don't believe they are any less reliable than any other bulb. Just my opinion ;)! Don't know about the Ultra's.

Spend a few extra dollars and get the Ultras. The Ultras are even brighter than the regular Silverstars. Literally night and day difference from stock.

1000 miles on the Ultras so far w/o any problems. I just aimed the high beam perfectly and I don't care about where the low beam is because I only dim for oncoming traffic.

Guys, these bulbs are so good you really feel sorry for anybody who does not have them!

Thanks to BLUE and VIPER Dave,

I think I will get the Ultra's

Yamadoo

I would also like to chime in since i put these in my Apex. If you do alot of night riding, you NEED these bulbs! My friends riding in front of me even notice my headlights shining in front of them. Everyone is amazed at these and half of my riding buddies have gone out to buy them already.

Plus, they look really really really cool!

Oh, as for the white light on white snow, its significantly better then the yellow light. I know alot of guys will tell how the ultimate light put out by the ultras is the same as the stockers, well scientifically that may be the case, but as far as real world goes, it reall is a NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!

While I haven't tried the silverstars in my Apex yet I have had them in my VW Golf for 6 months. The second one burned out yesterday. I have used Piaas in the high beams of the VW for 4 years and they are still perfect. I bought a set of 80/130 Xenon from Royal Distributing for 30.00 and they are great in the Apex. Had one in my Phazer for 5 years and it still works fine. Lots of light and looks cool.

Back