• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Test Drove a Viper Today

Exhausts tend to loose power when they are not mendrel bends. From what I have seen from the exhaust, yes it is not straight back, but all the bends are free flowing mandrel bends. Time will tell once the final production is on a dyno.

Nytro40th said:
Exhausts tend to loose power when they are not mendrel bends. From what I have seen from the exhaust, yes it is not straight back, but all the bends are free flowing mandrel bends. Time will tell once the final production is on a dyno.
That's what I was going to say...plus the pipe is bigger to....it will be 135 hp

What I really like are all the barstool engineers who can tell by a picture that the exhaust will keep the horsepower down? Look at most of the street bikes in the world, almost all of the exhaust systems have serious bends in them, and for those of you who think bends in exhaust make less horsepower don't ever open the hood of a high performance car! It's insane how they get all the bends in the pipes.

I am praying the snow holds out in Old Forge this weekend, because I will be there at the first test ride !!!!

jp111 said:
What I really like are all the barstool engineers who can tell by a picture that the exhaust will keep the horsepower down? Look at most of the street bikes in the world, almost all of the exhaust systems have serious bends in them, and for those of you who think bends in exhaust make less horsepower don't ever open the hood of a high performance car! It's insane how they get all the bends in the pipes.

I am praying the snow holds out in Old Forge this weekend, because I will be there at the first test ride !!!!
Exactly, look at any automotive aftermarket performance header they have lots off bends and they actually create more power

SledFreak said:
**sj** said:
Mighty said:
Thanks for the review

WHAT DID I TELL YOU? and we havent even seen the duarbility and maintenence issues....it would be nearly impossible to partner with cat on this chassis and have the cache of the apex...Im raising the price of 2012 apex a grand...what else is there of that quality and pop for that kind of money? nothing

Your dreaming! I have seen them for 9200 on ebay..

Yep...good luck with that...located near the mississippi etc....

jtssrx said:
2008 Nytro RTX said:
down 10 HP just cuz the exhaust? No way,it will still come in around 135 HP IMO

Look at the nytro design and them look at the viper design. That 180 and then the 90 degree bends are huge restrictions.

I agree, this bend in the header design will result in lost power vs. straight header design. That's not to say that the power can't be made up in cam timing or just the engine tune to match current Nytro hp numbers.

We won't know the affects of the header until fuel mapping is dialed-in. One of the sleds in my demo group just quit. No warning, no sputtering, it just quit. It restarted after 4-5 tries but the fuel mapping needs work as stated by Yamaha.

Hard to believe these sleds were not ready for the big showing & the test rides!

Not a good sign that Yamaha has a good handle on whats going on!!!

Its going to be a long year I'm guessing...

COLDONE said:
Hard to believe these sleds were not ready for the big showing & the test rides!

Not a good sign that Yamaha has a good handle on whats going on!!!

Its going to be a long year I'm guessing...
You got that right,It is going to be a looong year as I wait for my Blue n White LTX SE

Sno Cat said:
We won't k
now the affects of the header until fuel mapping is dialed-in. One of the sleds in my demo group just quit. No warning, no sputtering, it just quit. It restarted after 4-5 tries but the fuel mapping needs work as stated by Yamaha.
To all the koolaid drinkers: lmao

**sj** said:
Sno Cat said:
We won't k
now the affects of the header until fuel mapping is dialed-in. One of the sleds in my demo group just quit. No warning, no sputtering, it just quit. It restarted after 4-5 tries but the fuel mapping needs work as stated by Yamaha.

Over use of the Kool-Aid reference...cut the $hit, people are excited about the new sled. Do you get off pissing on people? Sorry you had a POS Cat...these are Yamaha's and until they prove us wrong or you right we have no reason to believe otherwise.

Re: Viper

Bpatch50 said:
And not to get political but I love how you insinuate any industry decline is Obama's fault. That's just funny!

Thank you for saying that. I dont want this to get political either, but his statement was just ignorant.

RobWarrior said:
**sj** said:
Sno Cat said:
We won't k

Over use of the Kool-Aid reference...cut the $hit, people are excited about the new sled. Do you get off pissing on people? Sorry you had a POS Cat...these are Yamaha's and until they prove us wrong or you right we have no reason to believe otherwise.

my first time using...but okay...no more digs...if you guys want to ignore the facts and be excited about this offering you have been warned...dont come crying next year...

and fwiw... I personally had no problems (nor the guy who bought it from me) but I can tell you this...Ive never worked on or worried so much over a sled ...even full turbo mod kits added on as that sled...and thats why its gone...the worry and constant problems of all around me took the fun away....

good luck with your vipers and if you want to know any details on the procross chassis Im glad to help..

I know you guys had issues with the Cat's........that is a known fact. Also we know it has been made clear that Yamaha has been in TRF and is trying to clear up the issues including Cat's OWN clutch problems. So anyone buying one has to take Yamaha's word for it I guess that they will make things right.

Here's the question I have. I know Jtsrx and correct me if I am wrong.....SJ...has went to Ski-Doo. Not sure what SJ bought but I do know Jtsrx bought an 800 Etec gade according to Dootalk. Don't get me wrong, those Doo's ride and handle great but why the 800? It is a KNOWN fact that they have crank bearing issues and that fact is NOT worth an argument . I guess what I find ironic is this ,"this Viper is gonna be a headache" attitude when the 800 block Doo is a ticking timebomb. The only way I would consider an 800 Doo is if I had a 2 year warranty and I traded it right when the warranty expired. All the Doo wrenches I know say it isn't if the motor will fail, it's when will it fail. In fact the only Doo that I would consider are the models with the 1200 motor. That looks like a very good motor and I can't figure out why they don't expand on it other than I figure they want to prove the 2 stroke is better than the 4 stroke in the snowmobiling industry.

sj bought a 2012 apex and jtssrx got a 2 year engine warranty and plans on moving it when the warranty expires

Back