• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Test Drove a Viper Today

Mighty said:
sj bought a 2012 apex and jtssrx got a 2 year engine warranty and plans on moving it when the warranty expires

I guess that reinforces what I said on the 800. Sorry SJ, someone told me you bought a Doo but I guess that was wrong then. BTW, were you the one that bought my old Viper triple pipes from me years ago? (SimonsCPR)

Some guys are willing to gamble and want the latest and greatest, while some guys are willing to ride the older tested and well sorted out sleds. Pick your poison.

Re: Viper

DigitalFusion said:
Bpatch50 said:
And not to get political but I love how you insinuate any industry decline is Obama's fault. That's just funny!

Thank you for saying that. I dont want this to get political either, but his statement was just ignorant.
your totally correct you can't blame Obama for the industry's declinej, just the ENTIRE American economy.to not see this is laughable .

For all those purchasing the Viper next year! I Just would like to thank you in advanced for being a 1st year test pilot, And Wish you the best. :4STroke:

journeyman said:
I know you guys had issues with the Cat's........that is a known fact. Also we know it has been made clear that Yamaha has been in TRF and is trying to clear up the issues including Cat's OWN clutch problems. So anyone buying one has to take Yamaha's word for it I guess that they will make things right.

Here's the question I have. I know Jtsrx and correct me if I am wrong.....SJ...has went to Ski-Doo. Not sure what SJ bought but I do know Jtsrx bought an 800 Etec gade according to Dootalk. Don't get me wrong, those Doo's ride and handle great but why the 800? It is a KNOWN fact that they have crank bearing issues and that fact is NOT worth an argument . I guess what I find ironic is this ,"this Viper is gonna be a headache" attitude when the 800 block Doo is a ticking timebomb. The only way I would consider an 800 Doo is if I had a 2 year warranty and I traded it right when the warranty expired. All the Doo wrenches I know say it isn't if the motor will fail, it's when will it fail. In fact the only Doo that I would consider are the models with the 1200 motor. That looks like a very good motor and I can't figure out why they don't expand on it other than I figure they want to prove the 2 stroke is better than the 4 stroke in the snowmobiling industry.
Seems to be a bit of a stretch that Yamaha will correct Cat issues .... if that's he case they would have figured out & implemented the solution(s) to the Nytro by now! Yamaha has engine development / reliability / QC dialled in and should be able to fix the handling of the Nytro easily before they go off trying to fix other OEM's! The aftermarket companies have supplied many fixes to the Nytro ... it needs a better front end geometry and more balanced weight distribution plus diet - the Viper looks like it will only be marginally lighter than the Nytro- but weight loss is achievable especially from factory!

Preacher said:
DigitalFusion said:
Bpatch50 said:
And not to get political but I love how you insinuate any industry decline is Obama's fault. That's just funny!

Thank you for saying that. I dont want this to get political either, but his statement was just ignorant.
your totally correct you can't blame Obama for the industry's declinej, just the ENTIRE American economy.to not see this is laughable .

X2! Thank god we limit the presidency to two terms! When he got re-elected I seriously thought about moving to Canada!

Blue Dave said:
Preacher said:
DigitalFusion said:
Bpatch50 said:

X2! Thank god we limit the presidency to two terms! When he got re-elected I seriously thought about moving to Canada!
I
Me and many of my friends that own businesses were put on suicide watch when he got re elected!!! I will say that most of us use to buy new sleds every couple of years but not any more!! Expenses,taxes and insurances are through the roof lately severely limiting our recreation funds!!!! No new 4 wheelers either!!

Hey guys, I own a business as well and agree with a lot of what you're saying but I'd shut down the political chat...the Mods don't like it and they will let you know! KingED99 your welcome...I'll see if I can work the bugs out for you! I haven't bought a new sled since 04 so I'm ready to gamble on this one.

Just saw this thread. And thank you Rob. Stick to sleds regardless of your political views. Thanks!

couch said:
journeyman said:
I know you guys had issues with the Cat's........that is a known fact. Also we know it has been made clear that Yamaha has been in TRF and is trying to clear up the issues including Cat's OWN clutch problems. So anyone buying one has to take Yamaha's word for it I guess that they will make things right.

Here's the question I have. I know Jtsrx and correct me if I am wrong.....SJ...has went to Ski-Doo. Not sure what SJ bought but I do know Jtsrx bought an 800 Etec gade according to Dootalk. Don't get me wrong, those Doo's ride and handle great but why the 800? It is a KNOWN fact that they have crank bearing issues and that fact is NOT worth an argument . I guess what I find ironic is this ,"this Viper is gonna be a headache" attitude when the 800 block Doo is a ticking timebomb. The only way I would consider an 800 Doo is if I had a 2 year warranty and I traded it right when the warranty expired. All the Doo wrenches I know say it isn't if the motor will fail, it's when will it fail. In fact the only Doo that I would consider are the models with the 1200 motor. That looks like a very good motor and I can't figure out why they don't expand on it other than I figure they want to prove the 2 stroke is better than the 4 stroke in the snowmobiling industry.
Seems to be a bit of a stretch that Yamaha will correct Cat issues .... if that's he case they would have figured out & implemented the solution(s) to the Nytro by now! Yamaha has engine development / reliability / QC dialled in and should be able to fix the handling of the Nytro easily before they go off trying to fix other OEM's! The aftermarket companies have supplied many fixes to the Nytro ... it needs a better front end geometry and more balanced weight distribution plus diet - the Viper looks like it will only be marginally lighter than the Nytro- but weight loss is achievable especially from factory!

First off I agree the Nytro has issues. You mention weight distribution. Right there that tells you it is a design problem with the whole chassis. We all know they are front end heavy and steer quite hard. So to me this is a whole other argument.

As for fixing Cat issues. I think Yamaha was well aware of any quality problems Cat had before ever making this deal. We all know Yamaha coming up with new designs seems to always be a long time in the making by the time it has to go to Japan and back not to mention the dollar to yen problems. So Yamaha probably figures they can react quicker over here on US soil.

Also I work in manufaturing as an electrician. I work with engineers all the time and I have watched all sorts of design and tolerance changes with manufacturing machinery , tooling and machine processor program changes make big differences in the overall quality of a final product. Can they turn it all around in one year? Not sure about that, only time will tell on this. As I have already said, this could be a huge gamble for Yamaha but with the current sled market maybe they had to do something radical and switch gears or just get out of it. The bean counters have alot to do with this decision ,that I am sure of. My guess it was economically cheaper to tie in with an established mfg than to go build a facility over here and start over in a volatile market.

Nytro40th said:
I am Canadian but honestly you think Bush was any better.
Yes...

Well here's my point of view. If Yamaha hadn't come out with the viper, I'd have been buying a new Polaris. Sat idel for long enough it was time. Instead Yamaha is still getting my $$,not Polaris. Maybe us idiots buying the Viper will help keep Yamaha in sleds so all the bashers might still get there 2015 dream.

I am probably as politically versed as anyone on here but I do not come here to argue politics. It's not the place. Let's keep this forum clean of that.

maxdlx said:
Well here's my point of view. If Yamaha hadn't come out with the viper, I'd have been buying a new Polaris. Sat idel for long enough it was time. Instead Yamaha is still getting my $$,not Polaris. Maybe us idiots buying the Viper will help keep Yamaha in sleds so all the bashers might still get there 2015 dream.

What Polaris if I may ask? Just wondering being looking at a Viper with the Nytro 4 stroke motor vs. what Polaris offers in engines it would probably have to be the 600 or 800 2 stroke block. IMO neither is even in the same ball park. The only reason I could think of buying the Polaris is the Rush chassis for ride quality. Thier 800 is down on power compared to the other 800's but maybe that's why they don't blow as easy either.

Even if Yamaha started offering a stroke at this point I don't think I'd buy it. I am sick of the worrying about premium fuel, ethanol in the fuel being more tempermental to burndowns ,2 stroke smoke smell and buying 2S oil at $30+ a gallon.

Back