• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

Nitrousman1

Expert
For those of you that don't know about this issue with the Nytro maybe it will save you from destroying your motor. I consider this to be a design flaw on Yamaha's part and they should step up and issue a recall and repair anyone's motor that has been blown up from it.

The plastic panel that protects the underside of your motor that you remove to change your oil has several metal bars that add support to the panel for protection. I have a skid plate on my Nytro for extra protection but it didn't save my motor. Those metal bars are placed in a bad place because one of them has a sharp edge that points towards your oil filter and is maybe a few millimeters from it. I must of hit something off trail which wasn't even a hard impact but it was enough to cut my oil filter open from that metal bar making contact with the filter. Within 1 to 2 miles my sled pissed out all the oil and kicked a rod through the block. The skid plate looks perfect with no sign of any impact but the plastic panel has a very slight curve in it and you can see from the wear marks exactly what bar cut the filter. I would recommend cutting that bar out where it's close to the filter to prevent your motor meeting the same demise as mine. So now my supercharged Nytro is at the dealer hopefully being covered by my insurance because there's no warranty on it and I doubt very much that Yamaha would do anything. Dealer says the insurance will most likely total the sled because Yamaha doesn't sell a complete motor so you have to buy it in pieces which costs over $6000.00 just in parts then you need to add in the labor which is well over $2000.00. So I may have a complete SC with RB3, fuel pump and gauges for sale if I get screwed and can't get a motor for it or get it repaired under insurance.

I hit a rock under the snow yesterday,Right on the skid plate. Hit it so hard it lifted the front of the sled up,No oil. So maybe this was just a freak accident

2008 Nytro RTX said:
I hit a rock under the snow yesterday,Right on the skid plate. Hit it so hard it lifted the front of the sled up,No oil. So maybe this was just a freak accident

I hope for your sake you're right but if that bar is bent up and touching the filter it will eventually rub a hole in it from vibration and the motor twisting.

I may have to look at that before I go to wyoming. Good chance if i'm gonna hit something I'll hit it while i'm out there. Thanks for the heads up! sucks about your sled tho

Had my sled apart looking for were the water was getting on my clutch and seen this post. What the heck might better check filter. Well filter had a small dent and was rubbing on brace. Took cutoff wheel to it so there is more clearance and put on a 5DM-13440-00 filter off a raptor ,I think. The filter is 2" tall compared to 2.75 " of the factory filter. I also have a Yamaha skid plate with no bad hits to it. I would not wait to summer to check this out! It only takes a half hour to save yourself a lot of pain down the road. The filter I used is a Yamaha filter also.

This doesn't make sense though. If the oil leaked,It would of lost oil pressure and the motor would shut down. Is this correct or incorrect? Could it be you weren't paying attention too your lights?

I can say when riding fast it is hard to check dash all the time . I do not know if engine will shut off with low oil presure ?

I know no matter how hard I ride I always glance at my gauges. I know the motor won't start if its out of oil and flashes a code. I am not sure if it will shut down

Correct me if I am wrong,But he was leaking oil. This means the oil pressure and oil level both dropped. I am sure it came up on the dash. Not bashing anyone here,Thank you for the heads up. Just stating my opinion. When the oil level is low the light comes on,I had this happen to me last year. The sled does not shut off

2008 Nytro RTX said:
Correct me if I am wrong,But he was leaking oil. This means the oil pressure and oil level both dropped. I am sure it came up on the dash. Not bashing anyone here,Thank you for the heads up. Just stating my opinion. When the oil level is low the light comes on,I had this happen to me last year. The sled does not shut off

But with the filter punctured, it could run for a while with no pressure before the level get down enough to trip the sensor. I would think...

Back