• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

poleclimber said:
I'm not buying this belief that by the time the motor shuts off its too late. That's bs! I've seen it happen to a few guys and the motor is just fine.

So you're saying you've had a few buddies punch a hole in their oil filter and have their oil light come on and save their motor? Or are you saying you've seen them run their oil low and have the light come on and save their motor? There's a big difference in my book when there's a hole in the filter the oil is drained very quick under high pressure so by the time you see the light you probably only have seconds before all the oil is gone and I'm not starring at the gauges every second I ride. Mechanic at the dealer even said the oil light comes on way to late on these Nytro's. So I guess if you feel safe with riding it and not worrying about cutting the oil filter then that's you're choice, I'm just warning people that it could cost you a motor if it happens.

my buddy among many others did his own oil/filter change and left oring stuck to motor along with new one, which blew out at high speed 20mi later. shut itself down within 3 seconds. other than a mess, did no damage. another buddy had minor disagreement with stump, unknowingly cracking the oiltank. he chose to ignore the low oil level light and keep going, thinking warrentees are bulletproof. never lost pressure, but cooked the oil as low as it got and fried the engine. Yamaha, not stupid, told him to stuff it, as I would

Sorry to hear about your loss. That truly sucks. Here's my cure for the many shortcomings of the stock piece. This protects the front heat exchanger as well, which is left extremely vulnerable in stock form. Wreck that and the sled becomes a possible write off as well. On a side note there is a Nytro engine for sale in the Snowest classifieds.

Attachments

• Skpl Fnl 1.jpg
    Skpl Fnl 1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Skpl Fnl 2.jpg
    Skpl Fnl 2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 78
I'm with Sgilbert I've seen the oil dump out with the old o-ring was left on. I'm not calling anyone a liar just wondering y some guys can do it and some can't. Just curious

Thanks for sharing this issue.
I will definately be looking closer at my oil filter and belly pan next time I have it off.
Cheers

Just looked at my 2010 with 318miles on it. Wear lines already forming on oil pan and filter. WTF? Just something else I shouldn't have to modify on a $10k sled...Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the heads up Nitrousman1.
Checked mine because when I changed oil I used a longer filter than OEM.There was a mark where the aluim. channel had made contact.Cut the channel for clearance.Will use shorty filters from now on. :rocks:

Roest said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. That truly sucks. Here's my cure for the many shortcomings of the stock piece. This protects the front heat exchanger as well, which is left extremely vulnerable in stock form. Wreck that and the sled becomes a possible write off as well. On a side note there is a Nytro engine for sale in the Snowest classifieds.

Thanks but that guy on Snowest isn't responding to anyone so I assume its sold.

stock said:
Gomer how is your sled ? Any pictures ? Bob said you got banged around

Have some more shopping to do. hahaha Ya, went for a pretty good ride, pretty sore. Could have been a lot worse. I'll give you a call.

Roest said:

This looks niiiiiiiiiccceee!! Very slick.

gomer said:
Roest said:

Thanks gomer. Every Nytro should be running one of these. It's cheap insurance when you think about the consequences. Its way nicer, better fitting and fastened than the plastic alternatives.

Roest said:
gomer said:
Roest said:

Thanks gomer. Every Nytro should be running one of these. It's cheap insurance when you think about the consequences. Its way nicer, better fitting and fastened than the plastic alternatives.

The skidplate is even slicker in person. Very easy install, high quality and great fit. Roest talked me into buying...I am glad he did, especially after reading this post.

Back