• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

To STAR or not to Star nytro XTX

20160128_131803.jpg 20160128_140250.jpg

Did you get a chance to ride with the Star kit yet Sprintcat? I am leaning very heavily toward getting it in the offseason and would like to hear your review

I ride in Maine, 5.5 hour drive to get there, had a trip planned for Feb 56789. Looks like there is not much snow up there right now . All I can do is keep my fingers crossed. I still have to put the skis on and set the camber and caster and toe .but I will keep you posted. And answer any questions about the kit that I can .

looks good sprint cat. i think the star kit will be my ONE, mod next year! sucks i have a full hygear shock and spring package on the sled now. not sure how it will all work together. On a side note maybe im wrong but that bolt/nut on the top of the front skid shock shouldnt be bending the metal mount that holds shock eye. Not sure if it was like that when you got it or just got a little zealous with a wrench.

I wouldn't worry about it too much the kit makes a huge difference with the shocks left stock, only thing you'll have to do is some small adjustments to get things dialed in for you, which you would have to do anyways. the Hygear work you have done will be better than stock regardless.

Stubb111. Just wondering what you are running your track tension at? I do have my track studded and I did set it to factory specs. It feels way to tight, not sure if I should loosen it up a bit. 22 lbs @1 inch . It's tuff to spin the track while it off the ground on the lift stands .:sled1:

sprintcat.....I am not sure what actual tension set at by actual track tension tool, I set it kinda old school by hand/eye. mine is hard to turn by hand when lifted, turning lots of parts when turning by hand. I don't have the star kit in my nytro anymore, I went a different route a couple of years ago.

Ready to star, and now mountain tech tooo. I will send some better pictures of the sled on some snow , thanks for all the input, and cool comments. 20160203_092623.jpg

SprintCat, Sorry for the delay to your question... I'm 260Lbs and have the bigboy center spring and have spring preload about 3/4" of threads left from full compression.
Let us know your 1st impression on the Star. Your Set up, your weight...
I hope there was enough snow for your sled trip this weekend!

Okay my report on my new setup, this sled is a beast, Thanks to Peter @ mountain tech, and Robert @ star suspension . I have so much confidence in the sled now ,it is night and day.if your thinking of getting this set up for your sled go for it . I am another happy customer. Thanks to All you guys on this forum for all your help. I could never get my sled to skinny ski to good , now I can do it in a very tight circle no problem . Speed on the trails is much faster , if that's what you want, off trail was good but I didn't get much of that in , do to lack of snow off trail .WOW it really does make a huge improvement. :sled1: 20160207_133237.jpg 20160207_133237.jpg 20160207_123023.jpg

How comfortable riding is the Star rear end? Plushness compared to stock? Compared to other sleds you've ridden? Please be honest as I'm going to do the kit anyway

It's awesome, I have no problems with this kit ,and Robert is a good guy to talk with , even if he is busy he will spend the time with you on the phone to make sure all your questions are answered. I had a few questions, that I wrote down, and he explained them to me . Some of the trails were full of whoops, and one of the guys on a 2016 ,xrs 800 doo, Said he would watch me stand up on my sled then he would know when to stand up on his . At speeds . The kit works in am much faster in the bumps .

Just put my kit in and put 600 miles on my apex xtx... I didn't do the shock alterations yet... To long to be down during riding season... Studder bumps pretty much disappear... Was able to ride faster in all conditions... Way more off trail floatation... I crawled out of all but one situation... Just needed a tug on one of the skis

I don't think I've heard one person disappointed with the STAR kit.

Back