• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Hard Starts

stormin norman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX LE
2000 Yamaha SRX 700
1999 Yamaha V max 500
1992 Yamaha V max 4
1984 Yamaha Phazer
After reading on this site about the hard starting ( when motor is hot ) Vipers I am wondering just how bad of problem this is? Anyone have any idea what percentage of the new vipers have this problem? Currentally riding a 06 Vector that starts and runs great, am afraid to spend this much money for a sled that mite not start as good as my old Vector does.

This just might be me, but sometimes when it's been running and I come out of the store or bar, and start it up. Just don't let go of the key while holding it to start until it's started. We start it and let go and then it's not started. Then we have to crank for a little bit. Don't let off until it's running then you won't have a problem. :jump:

Mine seems to have gotten better with miles, my first couple rides it was almost every fuel or lunch stop. Seems to fire right up now.

Mine has the starting issue every time whether it's hot or cold..it will fire instantly the die out and after about 2-3 cranks it's running..like stated above..hold the key on until it starts. 2000 miles and my sled has done this basically since day 1. It has never not started tho just a matter of letting it crank a few extra times. Whenever a reflash becomes available in sure that will completely take care of the issue

With 4000 miles and some problems with belts and a oil separator, mine starts easy. Unless I let the key go to early. Then it crans longer, but that very very rarely happens!

DeerHuntr said:
Mine seems to have gotten better with miles, my first couple rides it was almost every fuel or lunch stop. Seems to fire right up now.
X2, 1500 miles now and problem has all but gone away in the last 500 or so.

Me and my bud both bought LTX SE's the same day.... both of our sleds have the hot start issue from time to time. Again, the key is don't stop cranking too early. They've always started even if being a little fussy. It's not something that bothers either one of us too much. We know about it and will keep an eye out for an ecu flash if one comes around. I'd say don't let it deter you if you like the sled... it's not that big of a deal.

are some of these issues related to using the kill switch to turn it off instead of the key? read that in one of the magazines that they suggested using the key only and it helped some that had this problem. something to do with the ECU being affected

The kill switch for whatever reason does seem to aggravate the problem. At least with mine. I only shut it off with the key. Also I don't let the pump cycle before I start it when it's already warmed up and that helps to. Like they said keep holding until it fully fires. It is a little bit of a pain in the a$& but nothing that would make me reconsider the sled.

Mine does it at very random moments. It seems specific to ambient temps, coolant temps, and how long the engine was off.

Also and interesting information.

One time when I was riding a buddy of mine, he noticed that I had a hard time starting my sled.
He asked what was wrong. I told him I really didn't know, just does it once in a while.

He was riding with a guy that had a 7000 Cat.

He said the Cat had the same issue as mine.

Back