• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? FASTER THAN A TURBO CAT

Fascinating. I thought all the ditch pickles were giving Cat a free pass in all their problems because the 1100T was the fastest sled ever made.

I'm starting to really want an XTX!

"Not to sound like a broken record, but anyone who says Yamaha doesn’t make fast sleds should shut their big yappers!" :Rockon:Quote of the year in any snowmobile mag.The competition just got owned :yam: .

I am till death Yamaha rider, but I'm not seeing what you guys are. The Cat
took every ET out there. Top speed means nothing in a drag race. The cat
got out of the hole quicker and got to the line quicker as far as I can tell.
If the race went on the Apex would have eventually passed it. The ski doo
took the 0-30.

Looks like the Cat beat the Yami to the finish every time. The Yami may have a higher speed but slower time at every interval.

At 660 it was 2 tenths of a second back at the end of the quarter it was a tenth and a half.

In drag racing a tenth is a lot. With a two mph faster speed not sure if the Yami could even catch the Cat at 2000 ft.

Even the Ski-Doo was ahead at the 660 mark both of them! I don't think the Apex is a drag racer. Roll on racing or full throttle across a long lake is its best bet.

Still leaning towards a Yamaha Apex XTX in my near future!

Just impressed what thier getting out of a 152hp sled compared to 180hp. It's a speed pass with a radar gun,who cares about the ET. This is a yamaha site, got to cheer on the home team. :Rockon:
Lets look at the amount of time you can run at top speeds without motors or belts blowing, who wins that catagory.

so lets say that the cat, with 30 MORE HP mind you, only beat the apex by a little over a sled length or so in 1/4 mile? hail to the reigning NATURALLY ASPIRATED KING... the YAMAHA Apex

Pretty sure the apex ISNT going to hang with a sled that has 30 more HP on the top end..... Just sayin..

OK! The XTX was .22sec behind at 60MPH
.22sec at 660'
.23sec at 1,000' Apex +.12 MPH
.15sec at 1,320'/ 1/4mi Apex +1.34 MPH

Top speed Apex by2.38 MPH, Almost walking speed= going BY!
So what this mean's is the Apex was only short 0 to 60MPH hung steady and by 1,000' the Apex was reeling the cat in. If some one goes by you at walking speed you will feel that you got your a$$ handed to you!

Also did the ice ripper have conventional stud's? Reason i ask is if not the rest could well have had a traction advantage as the rest were all studded with conventional stud's.

I have said it before and i will say it again! For an 1,100 at 12LB boost i am not impressed! The only thing making them fast is the ease of adding boost.

kviper said:
OK! The XTX was .22sec behind at 60MPH
.22sec at 660'
.23sec at 1,000' Apex +.12 MPH
.15sec at 1,320'/ 1/4mi Apex +1.34 MPH

Top speed Apex by2.38 MPH, Almost walking speed= going BY!
So what this mean's is the Apex was only short 0 to 60MPH hung steady and by 1,000' the Apex was reeling the cat in. If some one goes by you at walking speed you will feel that you got your a$$ handed to you!

Also did the ice ripper have conventional stud's? Reason i ask is if not the rest could well have had a traction advantage as the rest were all studded with conventional stud's.

I have said it before and i will say it again! For an 1,100 at 12LB boost i am not impressed! The only thing making them fast is the ease of adding boost.

The XF had a 1.5" track, no studs from what I read. Install a 1.5 on that Apex and compare.

So given the loose condition's they were on the Apex would likely have been quicker on the bottom end and depending on how loose the condition's were maybe not much slower on top.

LOL! All this over a 2,000 ft plus victory!

And the distance beaten by in 1320ft is 21ft or more like just over two sled lengths. Thats what 20hp ( seems to me dyno was more like 160 plus hp for the Yami) and a 1.5 will do!

If you do the math it would take another 7 seconds for the Yami to catch the cat or another 980ft. This would mean the they would be beyond 2,000 ft which is the distance used for top speed contests. So the Yami could claim top speed but the Cat beat it there as well.

Now the 1.5 inch track gives up on the top end more then the 1.25 but hooks up harder on the launch. So with equal tracks the Cat would not have as great a lead but its top speed would increase. I've seen guys claim as much as a loss of 5 mph by going to a 1.5 track.

All things equal I'd say that the two sleds are very very close! Till the Cat cranks up the boost! So easy to do on the Cat with minimal output of cash, to get to the same 300hp level the Yami costs a fortune.

Having said that I'd still buy an Apex XTX! The Cats just sound so wrong!

Yes the 1.5 will be maybe 5 slower on top on ice or extreme hard pack where higher speed's are reached but apparently the condition's were quite loose with only 96 1/4 and 98 top speed's.

Under those condition's the 1.5 would have been quicker and maybe no slower.

Either way very close!

Better get a Cat now if you want one, Isn't it 2014 that they go with their
own engines? That ought to be a dog and pony show for a few years eh.

Back