• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WRP +2 Apex seat kit review

nadekeys

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
2009 Apex LTX GT
2008 Nytro MTX Turbo
Hello all, I wanted to post a review on this seat after I got a few hundred miles on it. I ordered the seat direct from WRP through one of their sale EBay auctions last May and had an local upholsterer install it this fall for $80. I finally got some seat time this last weekend up in Grand Marais, MI area. We traveled all over between Munising and Paradise and the trails were spectacular. They have gotten a lot of heavy lake effect in the last couple weeks so the trees were full of snow, I love that as it makes for some beautiful scenery.

Anyway, the seat is a little taller which is nice but I find the foam much too soft, seems softer than stock to me. So much so that it feels like my butt is hitting the Styrofoam piece on any bad bumps, and I get a sore backside by the end of the day. While the seating position is more comfortable as you are a little higher, I actually find the stock seat itself more comfortable cushion-wise. I'm not a huge guy either, about 6'-4" tall and 230 lbs plus or minus with gear on.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining anything I had my brother take it for a 25 mile ride without telling him my impressions of the seat, and he came back with the exact same opinion....stock seat is more comfortable as this foam is too soft and it feels like you are hitting the styrofoam piece or seat pan on any bad bumps. I have read mostly glowing reviews of this seat kit so I felt I needed to get this point of view out there as this seat may not be for everyone.

As it stands right now I'm not sure if I'll leave this on or spend another $80 and have the original cover put back on as I'm due (in my mind at least) for a new sled, just waiting on Yamaha to come out with something or I may pull the trigger on a new(er) apex xtx. I did leave a message for WRP asking if it is possible the wrong foam could have been used but I have yet to hear back and am not sure how possible that even is.

I will say the quality and stitching is really good, I like the cover and the blue is a pretty good match to the blue already on my sled (09 blue apex ltx gt).

I have same exact opinion, I have maybe 30 miles on mine and i have hit the stryro foam hard enough i think I've damaged it also making the seat feel even quishier. I only can compare it to Boss seats back in the day(not current samsonite ed. of today) those high rise seats had some awsome firm foam. Sucks because the quailty of the cover is superior to others and looks killler on machine.

Wouldn't it be easy to keep the stock foam as a base and just add from there to fill the WRP cover?

Wouldn't it be easy to keep the stock foam as a base and just add from there to fill the WRP cover?
No, I don't think so, the seat has some lots of scupling to it, and I think you'd see the the edges from foam layers thru cover. Maybe for a upholsterer but not jonny rocket snowmobiler. Seat has the potential of being great just wrong foam as of now.

Definitely not easy as biggie stated but I may have my upholsterer give me his thoughts after this season. At that point though I'd be into this seat for a lot of money. (Upholsterer at 75 an hour plus materials) frustrating because of all the glowing reviews of this seat kit on this forum and others and then it is a complete disappointment when installed.

I understand about the foam, but overall I like the WRP seat much better than the stock seat.

Yep, strides better than stock but could be awesome.

Just got my WRP seat done myself, compared to the stock one mine is much more firm. No squishing and definitely not going to hit the styrofoam base. All I can guess is maybe either mine or yours wasn't the stock seat to begin with, as mine was purchased used. Does WRP make more than one foam option? I literally just bought mine off ebay after a ride to that same part of the UP, on an Apex, and I can't believe how much stiffer the WRP is...something must be different.

X2
Had mine on since WRP came out with it and mine is much firmer than stock,

Something not right...

I wonder if they got a batch with the wrong stiffness of foam then. There was never any option for different firmness so they all should be the same. Darn I saw someone else with a wrp seat in grand Marais at the fuel station there, should have asked to sit on his seat!

I'll try tomorrow to get them on the phone and see what they think.

I'll try tomorrow to get them on the phone and see what they think.
The foam in your oem 2009 is much firmer stock then the 2006. My wife has a LTX 2010 and her seat is hard as a rock when cold out I always notice the difference over my 2007 Attak. And I am an upholster and did squeeze in 2 in of firm foam under the OEM foam to more stiffness so this is the difference you guys are experiencing. Yamaha made firmer foam because so many objected and now this company for your long seat probably put in foam similar to OEM Plus or minus.
On a side note is the seat that much longer? I too am 6ft 2" and hit the oem back plastic just before the storage opening. I wanted to cut that out when I was doing my foam add but it would of been too much effort to get that down so I just live with it.

nadekeys, that might have been me in Grand Marais lol! We were there Friday evening. As stated here, love the look, feel and quality of the seat, but it's too soft. If I keep this sled I'd likely buy another kit and have some stiffer foam added to it. I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam, so my knees were above my hips with the stock seat, and it's pretty much the same with this one.

The foam in your oem 2009 is much firmer stock then the 2006. My wife has a LTX 2010 and her seat is hard as a rock when cold out I always notice the difference over my 2007 Attak. And I am an upholster and did squeeze in 2 in of firm foam under the OEM foam to more stiffness so this is the difference you guys are experiencing. Yamaha made firmer foam because so many objected and now this company for your long seat probably put in foam similar to OEM Plus or minus.
On a side note is the seat that much longer? I too am 6ft 2" and hit the oem back plastic just before the storage opening. I wanted to cut that out when I was doing my foam add but it would of been too much effort to get that down so I just live with it.
I had the same problem. But the WRP is tall enough too pad the plastic more so I don't notice it.

Could be the stock foam throwing me off too like you said. My 06 seemed like I was sitting on the tunnel with the stock seat.

Last edited:
I have about 600 miles so far on my WRP. I weigh in at about 240 dressed and am 6'3". I am not bottoming out the seat but it is noticeably softer. For me, this is a good thing as I personally have little of my own padding back there...

I like the new seat.

Back