• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yahoooo...WE CAN RIDE B.H.P. Again

BOUNTYHUNTER

Staff member
Looks like we can ride the park way again, well at least for this winter :Rockon:

BIRDS HILL UPDATE
November 29, 2012
On Friday November 23, Snoman met with MB Conservation and the Birds Hill Management team in regards to snowmobile trails in Birds Hill.

We are pleased to advise that for the 2012-2013 snowmobile season there will be no changes in Birds Hill. However there is a high probability that the following year there will be changes. Conservation indicated there will be a reduction of snowmobile trails in Birds Hill and that remaining snowmobile trails likely will be relocated so as to reduce interference with other user groups. Snoman will continue to consult with Conservation in a effort to maintain snowmobile trails in Birds Hill. Conservation stated they would work with Snoman and would consult with us prior to implementing changes in the Park. Once we are made aware of the changes we will be advising snowmobilers and local clubs.

I live just outside the east gates. They have been grooming the trails since the first snow in early Oct. The gate is now open but has a Trail Closed sign up.As a local resident and long time user of the park, I see the Horse People taking more and more control of the park every year. We must keep up the pressure to keep the trails open.Maybe we could have a meal at the resturant during our TY ride to show we use the trails.

They had put a BAN ON SLEDDING in the park this year, we are DAM LUCKY to have it back.

I expect to see us LOSE the North Trail next year as a result of an accident that started this whole fricken mess in the first place. I can live with just the 2 trail system, as it's better than NOTHING
:flag:

Roz said:
I live just outside the east gates. I see the Horse People taking more and more control of the park every year.

Iver and his horses along with the polo club really are not an issue, ONLY a few people ride their horses in the park in the winter on seperate trails anyways. :flag:

Bountyhunter, not sure who the "they" are you refer to when saying they had a ban on sledding this year, I thought this was a provincal park and a public process had to be followed before changes took place.The trail and sleigh rides out of the barns are not the problem, it is the hundreds of people who live around the park with horses who are working to have control of the park and insure that anything with a motor does not access a trail summer or winter.
I agree the first trail we will lose will be the north one since it goes near the horse clubs barns. Has anyone questioned why a private club has free space in a provincal park? Maybe our local snowmobile club should get some parkland as well.LOL There are a lot of things that are happerning in BHP that stink, and not all of it is comming from the back end of a horse.

"THEY" Birds Hill Provincal Park.

As you know when you buy a snow pass you have to sign a wavier, which free's sno man form any legal action. There was a incident on the north trail where it turns to go south towards the 59 entrance. Even though that part of the trail is swampy with thin ice it was very well marked out with flagging tape and caution signs, someone did something which caused damages and took the BHP to court and won. The park decided to close all the snowmobling trails right after that, Sandilands Provincal Forest is currently closed to the general pulic as well after a death there this summer....lots of things going on about that one currently.

We can thank SNO MAN for working with BHP to get us back on the trails for now.

Yep, SNOMAN is all over this for us. I hope every sledder who has ever used this park will write in the next time they ask for comments on the Draft Management Plan like they did a few months ago.Funny they would ask for comments in the middle of summer when sledders are not as connected as we are in winter.
I never heard of the accident or law suit against the park ( the guy must have had a good lawer to win that one) It must have happrened late in the season as I drive by the east gates at least twice a day and someone from my family rides thu the park at least once a week and no one noticed the trails were closed.
If there is public comments asked for again I will post on this site. I did call Snoman and the local clubs about it the last time and they were already all over it.
Looks like my grandfather never should have sold the part of the park he owned when the government came calling many years ago.

Im in BHP 4 times a week either on south drive taking pix of the deer or around the stables or cedar bog or somewhere...lol

Ive been riding those trails since they were built and hate to lose them, maybe they get very little responce back on paper and mention in that link about less people using those trails....BUT....go there on ANY GIVE SUNDAY and the east trail & warm up shack will be packed and the parking area is FULL of sleds & families. Not to mention during the later part of the week in the evening as there are always lots of sleds. We have pulled in there on a saturday night around 1am to 2am and seen 20 to 30 sleds...Tony P and team blue always seem to be there...lol

It's a sweet park and a GREAT PLACE to go for short evening ride during the week after work.....I would hate too lose it after all these years, it's bad enough we LOST the floodway

BOUNTYHUNTER said:
it's bad enough we LOST the floodway

There will be a groomed trail along the floodway this year. From Lockport South. Not sure how far South. I am in the Springhill Trailblazers club and we will be grooming the section from Lockport.

Kevin

You are 110% correct on the use of the GREAT east warm-up shack. I have a major concern what the future is for that shack as this summer they opened up what was a small trail off Hwy 206 that was used to supply the shack, and of course access for horses to the bush trails, into a wide access road complete with a lockable gate and culvert. My hope is that it just for emergeny access to that end of the park, but with the direction the park has gone in the past few years I have my concerns what thier plans are.

Back