• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha 4-strokes vs Doo DI E-techs

Hi Cody,

I had goal in mind.

It's different than pleasure riding.

The cool part for me was to learn about and study the maintenance requirements of the sled, in order to have fewer maintenance issues along the way.

I knew when bearings and other components needed to be replaced etc. (Trend analysis)

The motor is just amazing. ;)!

hondo said:
Oops,

Not trying to start any misinformation, or propaganda.

I am only interested in 100% fact.

I see my error, I used kilometers, instead of using miles.

Please accept my apologies...

It is a fact that: No "engine rebuilds" have been required in 36,033 miles or 58,010.76 kilometers on this original factory engine.

Thanks for the clarification. ;)!

Hondo I was only trying to point out that two motors is incorrect. What that has to do with Kms or Miles I'm not sure. Your ref is wrong in two ways. 1 He did not use two motors to set the record. A piston failed long after he broke the record. (record further smashed by you, Congrats). 2 He lost a piston and jug, not a motor! It does poke fun at Doo when you say it took him two motors to break the record with one, but that is simply not true.

What is true is he lost a piston and scored a jug (fairly costly repair) a few kms short of 17,000. I think this is where the misquote comes from by Sno tech. Have not read the article myself but I know what his journal says and what he told me.

I'm also impressed by your mileage. Again gotta love them four strokes. Don't have to convince me. 9,700 miles on my Warrior, 10,300 to go till trade in time.

hondo said:
Hi Cody,

I had goal in mind.

The cool part for me was to learn about and study the maintenance requirements of the sled, in order to have fewer maintenance issues along the way.

I knew when bearings and other components needed to be replaced etc. (Trend analysis)

My phazer has the same engine just smaller right?

Cody said:
hondo said:
Hi Cody,

I had goal in mind.

Hi Cody,

The Genesis 120 is a three cylinder motor.

Your Phazer 80 motor is a twin cylinder motor that should be built just as durable as all the other Yamaha motors! ;)!

hondo said:
Cody said:
hondo said:
Hi Cody,

I had goal in mind.

Hi Cody,

The Genesis 120 is a three cylinder motor.

Your Phazer 80 motor is a twin cylinder motor that should be built just as durable as all the other Yamaha motors! ;)!

Awesome cuz i dont wanna buy a new sled untill i atleast can drive so i can get an Apex Mountain and straight to the mountains i go! woot! lol :Rockon:

hondo said:
To me that equates to 1 and 1/2 motors. Half the motor had to be rebuilt, and parts had to be "replaced" in order to continue.

Agreed Hondo 1 and a Half is fair. LOL Its why I went four stroke I didn't want to rebuild motors anymore. Even if it is a quick and easy repair.

Yves is quite the guy and I'm thinking if he did it again he would still ride Doo. Home Province thing but Doo's new four stroke might be a better choice to try and top your record. That and some snow to ride on.

Side note: I do know of 2 people that have ridden Yamaha 2 stroke snowmobiles over 20,000 miles without any rebuild, which also speaks volumes about Yamaha's 2 stroke durability, reliablity and engine development.

I always loved the sound of the Yami two stroke triples. Single pipe, run forever. While I never ran them I was a Doo guy then a Cat Guy and converted to Yami in 05. Kind of missed out on the Yami two's

My Brother however had a 523 Formula Doo with 25,000kms never been apart. The most amazing part about that is my brother uses a sled. All of it! He still rides Doo! Can't convert him but I haven't given up.

In keeping with the original theme of the thread, the 2 stroke durability and reliabilty doesn't even come close to the durability and reliability of the 4 stroke.

With 9,700 miles on My Warrior and it still runs strong enough to get me in trouble I'm with ya on that one. The big Cat tripples I rode started loosing bearings just past 10,000 miles. If you did a major overhaul every 10,000 miles on the bottom end they will stay together just fine as long as you stayed fat and didn't invite Mr Squeeky for a ride.

Lost a piston to a bit of water in the gas at 105 on the speedo. Interesting things happened right after that. It started me on my Isopropl habit every second stop after that. Never worried about that with my four stroke. Just gas and go.

I watched lots of guys melt pistons in thier two strokes. Most because of that simple fact that a two stroke runs best just before melt down. If you tweek them to get the most you always run on the edge. I think a four stroke lets you get the same performance without running on the edge. If you know what I mean.

Its for that reason that I bought my Warrior. I still have it in my mind to get 20,000 miles on my sled. I can't see why not. I think the DI two stroke is a good idea the gasoline cooled super computors, ultra high pressure injectors combined with four piston or four pump oil injectors seem high tech enough but ball bearing bottom ends just don't scream long life to me like babbit bearings with oil pressure to float the crank.

Four strokes have a extra cycle to cool the piston as well. Two strokes make heat every time the hit the top. Good for power but bad at the same time for heat. I commend Doo on what they have engineered it is a marvel but it still inherits the same old problems from older tech.

Now a mildly blown overhead valve, exaust port, dry sump, babbit bearinged oil fed, piston pin flinging oil on piston bottom, two stroke could make incredible power and fuel mileage while keeping emissions at zero.

Maybe that is where two strokes will end up. Who is to say what motors will be like in 10 years.

For now the new E tec is following the logical course I would say for two strokes. Me I'm converted to four. Let the two stroke guys test them! Id buy the new Doo four stroke first. Again I've seen the four stroke light! E-Tec doesn't excite me. I'd like to try one just to keep an open mind however.

Oh and for my retirement I would love to break your record or even for that matter, try! Well Done! 4 years to go!

hondo said:
To me that equates to 1 and 1/2 motors. Half the motor had to be rebuilt, and parts had to be "replaced" in order to continue.

Agreed Hondo 1 and a Half is fair. LOL Its why I went four stroke I didn't want to rebuild motors anymore. Even if it is a quick and easy repair.

Yves is quite the guy and I'm thinking if he did it again he would still ride Doo. Home Province thing but Doo's new four stroke might be a better choice to try and top your record. That and some snow to ride on.

Side note: I do know of 2 people that have ridden Yamaha 2 stroke snowmobiles over 20,000 miles without any rebuild, which also speaks volumes about Yamaha's 2 stroke durability, reliablity and engine development.

I always loved the sound of the Yami two stroke triples. Single pipe, run forever. While I never ran them I was a Doo guy then a Cat Guy and converted to Yami in 05. Kind of missed out on the Yami two's

My Brother however had a 523 Formula Doo with 25,000kms never been apart. The most amazing part about that is my brother uses a sled. All of it! He still rides Doo! Can't convert him but I haven't given up.

In keeping with the original theme of the thread, the 2 stroke durability and reliabilty doesn't even come close to the durability and reliability of the 4 stroke.

With 9,700 miles on My Warrior and it still runs strong enough to get me in trouble I'm with ya on that one. The big Cat tripples I rode started loosing bearings just past 10,000 miles. If you did a major overhaul every 10,000 miles on the bottom end they will stay together just fine as long as you stayed fat and didn't invite Mr Squeeky for a ride.

Lost a piston to a bit of water in the gas at 105 on the speedo. Interesting things happened right after that. It started me on my Isopropl habit every second stop after that. Never worried about that with my four stroke. Just gas and go.

I watched lots of guys melt pistons in thier two strokes. Most because of that simple fact that a two stroke runs best just before melt down. If you tweek them to get the most you always run on the edge. I think a four stroke lets you get the same performance without running on the edge. If you know what I mean.

Its for that reason that I bought my Warrior. I still have it in my mind to get 20,000 miles on my sled. I can't see why not. I think the DI two stroke is a good idea the gasoline cooled super computors, ultra high pressure injectors combined with four piston or four pump oil injectors seem high tech enough but ball bearing bottom ends just don't scream long life to me like babbit bearings with oil pressure to float the crank.

Four strokes have a extra cycle to cool the piston as well. Two strokes make heat every time the hit the top. Good for power but bad at the same time for heat. I commend Doo on what they have engineered it is a marvel but it still inherits the same old problems from older tech.

Now a mildly blown overhead valve, exaust port, dry sump, babbit bearinged oil fed, piston pin flinging oil on piston bottom, two stroke could make incredible power and fuel mileage while keeping emissions at zero.

Maybe that is where two strokes will end up. Who is to say what motors will be like in 10 years.

For now the new E tec is following the logical course I would say for two strokes. Me I'm converted to four. Let the two stroke guys test them! Id buy the new Doo four stroke first. Again I've seen the four stroke light! E-Tec doesn't excite me. I'd like to try one just to keep an open mind however.

Oh and for my retirement I would love to break your record or even for that matter, try! Well Done! 4 years to go!

Been away from the puter for a few days Sasquatch,

I hope you are able to give the record a go in four years. ;)!

Live your dreams!!!

All the best!!!;)!

Back