• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 Suspension $$$$$$ question

jrd699

Suspension looks awsome!! I think I want one can't find prices on their site... Whos got the best pricing????

This skid debuted two seasons ago and they were really promoting it on this site. They offered TY members a discount if they ordered early. Once guys got them on their sled there were issues I read about with the revolver adjuster jamming and bolts coming loose. From my research, I couldn't find any good reviews on guys who raced or really pounded the skid in the ditches. The biggest downside was the Boivin employee who posted and promoted the skid so much on TY quit having a lot of contact with the public and a number of members were disappointed with the lack of customer service.

I'd be curious to see how well the skids are holding up now that they've got a couple seasons of use. Undoubtedly, some of these skids were on sleds stored outside over the summer. It would be interesting to see how the UV light effected them. I've seen plenty of faded and cracked plastic skis over the past 12 years.

Not sure where you got ANY of those issues unless you just read the first threads when it came out and never followed up.

All of us that run the ZX2 will never go back, there is nothing but normal maint on idler wheels, etc.

This is the lowest maint, best performing skid I have ever had, going on year 3 now and I just replaced the hyfax (5000 miles) and 2 inner idlers wheels thats it. I never even look at the darn thing. I spray a leather cleaner/wax on it with a spray bottle and it shines for the entire year. Never greased it or needed to.

Never had the rubber bump stops fail, and I did have a bolt back out when I installed it wrong.

It really is the best suspension on the market in my eyes.

Read up in the aftermarket section and make the decision for yourself.

I quit following the threads on the skid after I read post after post of people complaining and the main guy for Boivin who promoted the heck out of the skid was nowhere to be found. I'm glad that it sounds like the issues were resolved.

However, I still have not seen anything that shows this skid is better than stock. I've never seen anyone use one at a race and AD Boivin did not offer any type of race discount back when I inquired when it was first released.

I think the skid is an interesting concept but it appears to have been designed for high milage, groomed trail riders.

Depends if you talking for about the Apex's Monoshock or the Nytro's Dual(whatever its called) suspension.

The monoshocks, espically the older ones (I had an 06), bottomed out really easily, but rode great in normal trail conditions. But when i would be hauling 80 mph down a trail and run into a foot deep rut or something like that on the trail, I would bottom out bad. I got it revalved, and it was on its stiffest setting, and it got better but, I could still bottom it out easily by dropping off a small 2 or 3 foot culvert or drop.

The Nytro's suspension, (I have only the driven an 08 RTX) you can pound and it is very hard to bottom out, which I love. But its pretty stiff in the small medium bumps.

I have an Apex with ZX-2 with about 6000 miles or so on the ZX-2, and I love it. Big upgrade over the monoshock for my style of riding. Rides good, but is much harder to bottom out.

If I had a nytro though, I don't think it would be worth the money, to get the ZX-2, you would not notice a big enough positive difference to justify the money. (in my opinion)

I now have 25,000 km on my ZX2 installed on a 2004 RX Warrior
I bought as soon as it came out.
Small issue with bolts at the beginning. Once I used a torque wrench to
tighten the bolts as specified, never had a problem.

I have replaced the sleves on the top shaft of the shocks twice since I bought it, the last time being at the beginning of last season. At the recommendation of AD Boivin, I had the fluid replaced at the begining of last season.

Thats all

I never had a problem keeping up with the new sleds on the trails no matter how rough.

Great skid.

AKrider said:
I quit following the threads on the skid after I read post after post of people complaining and the main guy for Boivin who promoted the heck out of the skid was nowhere to be found. I'm glad that it sounds like the issues were resolved.

However, I still have not seen anything that shows this skid is better than stock. I've never seen anyone use one at a race and AD Boivin did not offer any type of race discount back when I inquired when it was first released.

I think the skid is an interesting concept but it appears to have been designed for high milage, groomed trail riders.

Your way off base, go read the sections and all the reviews of people destroying stock suspensions and then thier results of the ZX2.

I'm not sure what sled you have Kinger, but I'd take a Nytro skid with revalved stock shocks any day over a ZX2. If you have a mono, than I could better understand where you are coming from.

I'm looking at the ZX2 from an aggressive rider point of view. Show me where people are using them in competition, freeride videos, etc.

As far as destroying stock suspensions, be a little more specific and give some examples.

AKrider said:
I'm not sure what sled you have Kinger, but I'd take a Nytro skid with revalved stock shocks any day over a ZX2. If you have a mono, than I could better understand where you are coming from.

I'm looking at the ZX2 from an aggressive rider point of view. Show me where people are using them in competition, freeride videos, etc.

As far as destroying stock suspensions, be a little more specific and give some examples.

You are putting down a product you seem to know very little about. Not trying to be confrontational but I do not agree with the way you addressed this topic.

I ride the living heck out of my sled and consider myself a very aggressive rider. I have a repair log to prove it.

I weigh about 170 with gear. My Apex monoshock was revalved and had the big boy spring. These are the major things I broke in 10,000 miles:
Three w-arms
Two rails
One rear shock mount
One transfer rod

Plus a set of hyfax every 1,000 miles or so, all of the bushings, and don't forget the grease.

I have over 15,000 miles on the ZX2 and have rode it harder than the monoshock. I have broke zero components. I would ride this in a cross country race in a heart beat. I would love to race one day and wouldn't hesitate to use it. Things that have been replaced are wear items. I installed bolts instead of pins for the revolver and have replaced two bolts that have fallen out. In 15,000 miles that is nothing. Heck I am only on my second set of hyfax. The skid is VERY durable and the ride is incredible.

By the way, I do not see many racers that could afford to put a $2,000 skid in a sled. In my opinion it is cheaper for them to use what they have.

No Zx2 experience, but I'll say the best deal on a Yamaha would be one that didn't include a skid. That way, you wouldn't feel bad about paying for one as part of your deal...

Ok, so just to prevent a fuss, I won't include the '11 models. Not enough feedback on those yet...

AKrider said:

Do you have a ZX2? What are you basing your info on? I had the Zx2 in my rx1 (where I previously had the proaction, and then edge from a polaris) then swapped it to my apex to replace the EC mono. My riding buddies has a M10, SC3, SC4, SC5, and nytro xtx skid I have been on a lot of skids.

The Zx2 has about 5000 miles on it and I have replaced two idler wheels (I run studs up the middle) and 1 st of hyfax replaced this year. I consider myself a aggressive rider with me being 220lbs and the sled with a supercharger I get moving quick and the hits are hard and I have bottomed out 3 times on the ZX2, on the small trail chatter it soaks it up good but not great like the mono. Last year I hit a rut that everyone else hit on the trail, there were 5 ski doos and me, ALL of them bent something on thier suspension, I barely noticed it when I hit.

I was riding in a blowing storm and 'accidentily' jumped a entire road and landed from about 12-14' in the air on the tail of the sled...no damage

I regularly jump the big heavy pig because I like it and its fun I usually say good air is around 3'+ off the ground at the lowest point...no damage.

Would I use this in a all out cross country race OMG yes.

Aren't the factory sponsored racers mandated to us as much factory equipment as possible?

Point is your opinion is misinformed and IF you read the info posted on these forums by the 12+ people that have them on here I bet not one of them will say they will take a convential aluminun skid over the ZX2 ever.

Happy trails.

Back