• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 Suspension $$$$$$ question

AKrider said:
I agree, the mono just isn't a burly enough skid for big bump bashing. The XTX skid is an extended version of the Pro-Active rear skid and is more capable for bump riding. The weak point on the early Pro-Actives was the front arm. The Apex RTX was improved by using a billet front shock link and reinforced front arm. It is important to valve your shocks so the skid is not bottoming out harshly and creating more stress risers in the front arm. With revalved shocks and proper springs for weight and use, the Pro-Actives ride pretty good.

Too bad it drops so much track tension as it compresses....

Yes, the extro's take that issue right out of the picture.

It's still a tough call for an aggressive rider. Where do you stop? Where CAN you stop? How much money do you put into this suspension before saying screw it and going to something else? The rail cracking/breaking issues, the crummy idler wheels, that lower shock link, even the heavy RTX one likes to break, etc.

I bailed on the suspension because of all the potential issues, prefering something I can run without fear anywhere I want to go. Because of my experience with the Poo suspensions, that was an option for me. Many can't do that as comfortably... Financially, it was much cheaper for me to make this jump than to fix even most of the issues...

I have no experience with the ZX2. I do however have experience with the Mono and dumping over a grand into the shock and several hundred in hours and time in reinforcements.

This is my opinion. If you have an Apex other than this years (2011), ride on the aggressive side of cruising, and you weigh more than 160 pounds. Sell the thing off and get something that's worth building on. You will do nothing but chase the failure points around the skid if you keep it and try to strengthen it. For whatever reason, they just can't seem to get it right. Hopefully that has changed this year, well have to wait and see. Maybe it's the 50 pounds of ice on back, maybe not, either way it wont make the long haul. The Mono, on smooth or stuttered trails was amazing, then the 8" hole would sneak up on you and WHAM, your seeing stars. Yes they have improved it every year but the core issues are still there. After you factor in replacing the rails, arms, bushings, transfer rod, revalve/replace shock, you will have probably dumped far more it to the mono than any other skid.

All I can say is after following MDKUNI for a couple of years now is that if I had a couple grand laying around, this suspension would be in my sled right now. One of the last times I rode with him we were heading across the lake (8 miles or so) and I was on my 07 Attak set up for a heavy rider like myself. We were pushing it pretty good right at dusk and I could not believe how much faster and straighter his sled was killing mine going over the 2 to 3 foot drifts across that lake. I had to be cruising at a good 60 to 70mph and he went by me like I was standing still. :o| I tried to keep up but with the Attak and the stock suspension there was no way that was going to happen. Oh, by the way, I can attest to how he rides his machine and if he is not having any issues with that suspension, then I can promise most of you won't neither. This guy goes out on 500 mile a day rides by himself, don't believe me just look up his post. Thats what I call having confidence in your sled. ;)!

Back