• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Mountain sleds

I understand where you are coming and you have some valid points wolf. The nytro chassis and motor is a great package and is the best thing out there right now as far as a 4 stroke package is concerned. The reliability, build quality and so on is probably the best in the industry. However, the ride is poor, the handling is weak at best for a bone stock sled, the power is moderate on top end, they are heavy, and more expensive to begin with. Yes, once they are modified they can and will be an awesome sled however will never handle like a m sled or pro i dont care how light you make it. Nikolai sled is fantastic, super light, and reliable as hell however it still doesnt handle or control a technical line like a pro. My sled too has alot of mods and upgrades that are very costly and still cannot compete in the tight technical riding that i enjoy doing. I still make do and love the sled when its wide open, deep and can really open it up. Towards the end of the day im beat, and im 27 in shape and a strong kid. In the end i just feel yamaha is letting the mtn segment fall further and further behind, almost like its a joke to them. They have the technology, they have the resources, they have the engineers to make it all happen, now they just need to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to make a liteweight 4 stroker that can dominate the mountains. Until that happens I see sales continually headed south. Again, just my .02

HYFLYR said:
I understand where you are coming and you have some valid points wolf. The nytro chassis and motor is a great package and is the best thing out there right now as far as a 4 stroke package is concerned. The reliability, build quality and so on is probably the best in the industry. However, the ride is poor, the handling is weak at best for a bone stock sled, the power is moderate on top end, they are heavy, and more expensive to begin with. Yes, once they are modified they can and will be an awesome sled however will never handle like a m sled or pro i dont care how light you make it. Nikolai sled is fantastic, super light, and reliable as hell however it still doesnt handle or control a technical line like a pro. My sled too has alot of mods and upgrades that are very costly and still cannot compete in the tight technical riding that i enjoy doing. I still make do and love the sled when its wide open, deep and can really open it up. Towards the end of the day im beat, and im 27 in shape and a strong kid. In the end i just feel yamaha is letting the mtn segment fall further and further behind, almost like its a joke to them. They have the technology, they have the resources, they have the engineers to make it all happen, now they just need to put all the pieces of the puzzle together to make a liteweight 4 stroker that can dominate the mountains. Until that happens I see sales continually headed south. Again, just my .02

Well said

It is funny, all the manufactures say the MT market is a small segment. Look at how many companies are out there that target mountain riders. Gear, equipment, parts and service. Mountain riders spend money for the love of being able to bust some powder and get some air.

Wake up Yamaha....

At least they did not tease us with a tail light this year.

I bought the Nytro because I was tired of buying a new two stroke after they hit 5,000 miles.

I had no expectation when I bought it that it would be light as a two stroke or handle like a two stroke.

I must say that I was disappointed with lots of little things that in my opinion there was no excuse for, but after $$$ I think I pretty much have those little things addressed.

I'm not a mountain rider. For me my MTX means I can pretty much go any where I want and not have to worry about getting stuck. I can have all kinds of fun in the powder causing a smile that can last for days.

It means that at the end of the year I can still take my buddy back out of the country as his BRP sits in the woods or in the bottom of a canyon broke down. (two years in a row with two different current year sleds).

I like that I just turn the key and go, and that it works well all the time.

I know that my Nytro may not be the best sled, but it's the best for me right now.

Dear Yamaha,

You got to be pulling my leg, right...? No lightweight mountain chassis. Not even a four cylinder mountain model to boost the hell out of. Disappointment. Disappointment. Massive disappointment. I have been bleeding blue for the last thirteen years. I have even been a blue employee for some ten years. But for the first time ever, I am seriously thinking about an american made snowmobile. My feeling is that they profile themselves by building what I want - lightweight, agile and responsive top of the line mountain sleds. You profile yourself as the fat man's groomed trail sled supplier...

well there will be another 4 stroke sled released...and it may or may not be boosted from the factory... :)

I do have my name on Production model # 1 fro snow check though :)

Ive heard the same but quit holding my breathe a long time ago. Every year they say the same thing. If you can count on one thing its that history repeats itself and yamaha will stay average at best in the mtn segment.

Maybe it will match the new Jacket I bought for doing Tok to Dawson on Thurs. It is bright Orange.(not OEM marked though) Trek over the Top. Beer at the Downtown Hotel Thursday Night. Or Espresso Martini's at Bombay Peggy's.

does anything match orange? I mean you cant even make it ryme...let alone match... :)

It is interesting to see everyone's opinion on all of this. It is kind of sad to think some of my greatest inspiration in mtdream an Nikolai would leave yamaha behind but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I do want to say I disagree on done things however. I have ridden a pro for a full day in very deep snow and it will go places my nytro won't. I did not find it easier to ride though. When they are in deep snow I think the nytro is so easy to sidehill and throw around on even the steepest of hills. On setup snow the pro no question is easier to throw around. There were numerous issues with the pro that just remind me why the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks. Not to be a jerk but most of you on here helped me remember those things when I was looking to buy a new sled. I do not regret buying my yamaha one bit.

I rented a 2011 m8 and polaris 800 a few weeks ago in togwotee. I couldn't get off the m8 fast enough. Have to admit I liked the polaris better besides the serious vibration and the guide saying every 800 in the fleet besides the one i was riding blew up. He figured it was next, he said his was out for three weeks to get polaris to take care of it. I couldn't wait to get home and back on my nytro. Just a little feedback from me.

Back