• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Mountain sleds

I think everyone was looking for a drastic improvement.

No one doubts the reliability and quality of the Nytro. Like Hyflyr said, they have the ability to do better. And since only minor changes since 2008 it is time for a change. When I bought mine, it came down to a M8 & and the Nytro MTX. At that point I decided to go blue. No regrets, but for me it might be time to change. Because of customer service,(or lack of) I refuse to go BRP. That leaves staying on tried and true blue, switching to Cat or back to Polaris. I rode Polaris from 1990-2005, then switched to Yammy. Keeping in mind, I still have a garage full of Yamaha's, bikes, older sleds. I am also looking at getting a new Venture Royale, and a wheeler. So only my sled side is thinking about wandering.

The M8's that my friends have, just keep going, Pro 800's need another year IMO, to many issues on prior 800's.

OK, that is about non committal that I can get.

snownutz said:
I rented a 2011 m8 and polaris 800 a few weeks ago in togwotee. I couldn't get off the m8 fast enough. Have to admit I liked the polaris better besides the serious vibration and the guide saying every 800 in the fleet besides the one i was riding blew up. He figured it was next, he said his was out for three weeks to get polaris to take care of it. I couldn't wait to get home and back on my nytro. Just a little feedback from me.

Was it a Pro Ride 800?

Keep in mind I have not said anything about what I will be doing...I have had insider information for a while...Stuff I cannot share...

That being said...I loved my Yammie...Still have 3 Yammies...I also own 2 arctic cat quads (kids) and a Polaris Quad (my own)

I have VERY little brand loyalty, it is their job to earn my money, and I have always been that way...

The Manufacturer who makes the best sled for me, will get my money next year...it is that simple...

WolfOne said:
mmmmhhhh ... I want to go against the tide ...

I don't consider a big news that the 2 strokes are lighter and easier to handle than any 4 stroke.
Also my old rmk '01 was light and easy.
The new PRO is light ... but also in 2010 all 2 stroke was lighter

And I don't think that the Yamaha slow answer to the requests of a part of the market is different from other producers.
How long has the Polaris to provide a reliable engine (assuming this one it is)? And the Ski-Doo and Articat?
Xp/xr, iq and M chassis, although updated, are all new each 2/3 years?

The problem, in my opinion, is me ...

I realized that the love for my snowmobile, motorcycle or car falls after 2 or 3 years (as a toy that became boring) ... but the cycle for the manufacturer is 4 or 5 years.

So yesterday my sled was the best but now no more ...
Nytro in 2008 broke the patterns presenting something really new ... Today we got bored and we love the Polaris (which is certainly innovative) but we forget that we said till yesterday that they were not able to make engines, frames and bla bla

The Nytro, despite its obvious defects, and age is still the most innovative mountain sled because it is the only 4-stroke

Me too I'm impressed by the new RMK ... but will buy another brand when Polaris, Skidoo and Articat will be brave enough to propose a 4 stroke mountain sled that run as well and fits at least as my Nytro

Yamaha is brave and reliable because carry on, against troubles, the only and the biggest innovation in the sled industry.

My english is poor and is not my intention to slam the choice of others riders ... just try to explain my 4 stroke choice

:yam:

ok dear Yamaha ... my account number is ... :tg:

Well Said!!

IMO anytime a new sled comes out you need to give it at least one season before buying it, so that the bugs can be worked out and the hype of a new sled wears off.

I was hoping for a new sled this year but knew yamaha wouldn't with the way the economy is going. The nytro is getting old and will not be replace for another year or two. Hoping for next years.

I have very nice truck that I've had for 3 years and now is boring to me. When most people would love to have it. My Lotus Elise is just starting to get boring to me even though it's very fun to drive. People crave over things that are new. It's human nature.

I still like my nytro over the rest. Remember it's not the weight of sled that makes you a good riding. Most people I hear complaining about the weight of yamaha could lose some their self.

I wouldn't have fun on a stock nytro. I have the money to upgrade with boost and other parts so I choice to. If you don't then buy a 2 stroke.

Attachments

• Jordan 3.jpg
    Jordan 3.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 290
I'd rather have a 140 HP 4-stroke twin than a 150 HP 3-banger. My single biggest complaint(and only complaint really) with the Nytro is it's body width. It just doesn't hold a sidehill as well as the 2's because the body is so wide. I'm excited that Yamaha bought the rights to the Diamond Drive. They have the technology to make it reliable and it would drop a lot of weight, especially if they cast the gearcase into the bulkhead like the current MTX.

I personally would like to see a narrower chassis with a 140 HP 4-stroke twin in an all aluminum pyramidal chassis, or at least a cast aluminum subframe, along with an all aluminum tunnel(no steel brackets)

THe good and the bad, Yamaha GETS that their sleds are only being sold because of reliability, and tweakability...(making the word up)

There is NO doubt they design differently than others...Just like differences in Chevy, Dodge and Ford...each one has its niche...

All of us who are and or have been Yammie guys came to Yammie for largely the same reason...

If Yammie intends to own this space, and dominate it like they did with Dirt bikes...then, they need to bring it like they did with bikes...

The Mountain Segment gets trash talked about it for being small, but so was the SUV segment of automobiles...and the same market dynamics are true of the Mountain Segment buyer too...they buy more frequently, spend more on it, and are more passionate about their purchase....

So, Manufacturers are spending more on this little HIGHLY profitable segment....look at all the Professionally sponsored Mountain riders in the last 5 years....was unheard of 10 years ago....

Yamaha can do it...they know the demographics and buyer propensities, and repurchase rates of all the segments...

People like Nikolai, Wolf, Otis, etc. all spend REAL money on their sleds, and what we dont like we change, and what cant be changed for off the shelf we build, or in my case I get friends to build (like Skinz)

I was a die hard yamaha guy before this year. Anything with a motor I owned for the last twelve years had a yamaha logo on it except my vehicles.

Tried the Nytro and it did not fit me, wanted to still ride a yamaha but could not be the only one at the bottom of the hill and did not have $20k to blow for a turbo sled. Got a XP this year and it fits me so well, love everything about it except the ticking timer in my head anytime I ride it. Really hoping yamaha would come out with something to compete with the 800 2s in both weight and power, would be back in a flash.....

I have enjoyed this thread a lot. There is no doubt that yamaha can do better with their sleds but I think yamahaboy summed it up for me. I just don't want to ride a sled that I worry about all the time. I will say the thought of having a sled that is a great performer right of the box made me think long and hard about switching. Mtdream you are right that they should have to earn the business and I hope that they still do something to keep you on board. Your lack of brand loyalty has led to your unbiased opinions and reviews that I have placed great value in. I'm sure the skidoo guys missed you when you left them.

mtdream said:
Keep in mind I have not said anything about what I will be doing...I have had insider information for a while...Stuff I cannot share...

That being said...I loved my Yammie...Still have 3 Yammies...I also own 2 arctic cat quads (kids) and a Polaris Quad (my own)

I have VERY little brand loyalty, it is their job to earn my money, and I have always been that way...

The Manufacturer who makes the best sled for me, will get my money next year...it is that simple...

Yep Skiroule Wankel Revival. I have been riding the prototype all this winter.

Mtdream is right I think the green maybe coming out with a 4stroke mtn sled. I know they have been doing R&D with their 4s. I am suprised to the fact that BRP did not have one this year.

I bleed blue and have forever. I have rode frineds sleds and everytime i wanted my yamaha back. I was really hoping for more NA power this year. The weight I personally do not have a issue but I am not a huge mountain climber either. The hills and trees i play in my nytro does very well and I can honestly I am not tired by the end of day and I rarely ride the trail!!

I just want more power in a sled that is not boosted

Ok man I've the solution!!

Just wait 3 or 4 month and I'll sell you the YamaWolf MountainKiller

the first

carbonfibersled430lbs220hp4strokenarrowedchassiswithsuperbhandling :Rockon:

quiet & calm, do not push, one at a time ... all orders will be accepted and fulfilled within the next 10 years

dreaming is cheap and soothing for the soul :tg:

:jump:

mtdream said:

Mice & Mouse :)

the great disappointment of this year is that I couldn't come to shake your hand as promised
;)!

WolfOne said:
Ok man I've the solution!!

Just wait 3 or 4 month and I'll sell you the YamaWolf MountainKiller

the first

carbonfibersled430lbs220hp4strokenarrowedchassiswithsuperbhandling :Rockon:

quiet & calm, do not push, one at a time ... all orders will be accepted and fulfilled within the next 10 years

dreaming is cheap and soothing for the soul :tg:

:jump:

Cool, cause that is about how long it will take me to pay for all the carbon fiber.

Back