• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 apex hp?what is it at now?

mnmsnowbeast I love reading your post... Lol... In a good way... We think the same... Been on the other side just like you... There's no comparison with Japanese tech, the other ones have timers under there hoods that will reach 0:00 and its all over...lol

Last edited:

mnmsnowbeast I love reading your post... Lol... In a good way... We think the same... Been on the other side just like you... There's no comparison with Japanese tech, the other ones have timers under there hoods that will reach 0:00 all its all over...lol
Thanks bro,just trying to keep it real,sounds like both of us,have spent lots of hard earned money trying to find our true love of the sport,so far after 40 plus years at it,i have to say Yamaha still hits a home run more often than the other three do,now Yamaha has missed the mark on some things,but they always seem to at least try and make things right,not just run and hide,than come out with something new that really isent any better than what it replaces. Cheers

Some of guys really need to ride a 2011 or newer apex...you may not think they are that much different...but they are...I noticed a lot of the "disappointed with the line up" folks are people with older apexes....the exup, eps, various suspension changes (including front end geometry changes)...all add up to a better sled...the 2011 and newer apexes..ride better, handle better and pull harder...they also have a better seat with a better riding position, better skis, and hand warmers that actually work....I has an 07 Attak GT..and my 11 xtx is a far better machine...it doesn't wear u out like the old apexes/rx1s do....you really owe it to yourself to ride one...the weakest link was/is the skid (imo)...and yamaha addressed that this year...if I didn't just buy this xtx...I would be buying a 2016...yes...it looks similar to previous apexes....why is that a bad thing?? I don't get the disappointed people...I like what I see...and am very happy with my xtx
X2!!!!! The power steering models are way much better!!!!!!!!!!! You have to ride one a while to realize how much better they are.

Thanks bro,just trying to keep it real,sounds like both of us,have spent lots of hard earned money trying to find our true love of the sport,so far after 40 plus years at it,i have to say Yamaha still hits a home run more often than the other three do,now Yamaha has missed the mark on some things,but they always seem to at least try and make things right,not just run and hide,than come out with something new that really isent any better than what it replaces. Cheers

LOL!! I never had to switch to find out. If you look at my long list of Yamaha sleds you can see I have had just a few. All my buddies years ago rode brand X (mostly Poo and Doo) and I knew better. I watched the constant break downs, blown belts, scored pistons and the wrenching they did to try and beat me too. (all in fun) Sure there were some times when I thought brand X had maybe a better ride but not better reliability. In all the Yamaha's I have owned I only popped one motor and it was all my fault when I had triple pipes on my 700 Viper. (long story) I had one blown belt on my '90 Exciter that I purchased from Pat Hauck but I was drag racing when it shredded. The very few issues I ever had were normally my fault. Funny thing is all my friends knew my sleds were bullet proof and fast but they still went out and bought their brand. It always seemed they were jealous my Yamaha's were fast and reliable and they were just going to try and prove me wrong. It was kind of fun being the weird guy that rode a Yamaha when everyone else seemed to be on a Polaris, Doo or Cat. I have owned Yamaha's when they were #1,2,3 and #4 in sales.......doesn't really matter to me.

I really would have a hard time switching brands. It's not so much as having blue goggles on as it is knowing their product line, being familiar with their clutches etc., realizing their superior fit/finish of their products and the overall reliability.........not to mention they perform well. If I was forced to buy something else it would be a Ski-Doo being that was the brand I grew up on in the '70's. The only model would be a 1200 4 stroke at this stage of my life. Yamaha actually switched to 4 strokes when I was at a time in my life when I don't want to wrench as much.

I noticed that you guys are riding the XTX, I was thinking of getting one untel I noticed that there are alot of them for sale in this area, which makes me suspect as to whats wrong with them?? I am concerned about riding one in the twisties, but I read that that is not a problem.
Any coments that will help me make a decision?

I noticed that you guys are riding the XTX, I was thinking of getting one untel I noticed that there are alot of them for sale in this area, which makes me suspect as to whats wrong with them?? I am concerned about riding one in the twisties, but I read that that is not a problem.
Over 6600 miles on my '13 XTX. Factory was a little stiff for my liking, but after a Hygear Shock package, makes it a totally different animal. No complaints here in the tight trails, the power steering must compensate for it. 225lbs out of the shower, and with suspension settings on soft with the factory suspension components felt stiff to me.

Tell the dealer to send em up here....they don't last a week on the floor here...one of the most sought after used sleds up here....many advantages to the XTX or a shortie apex IMO...Traction being number one...with the HP and Torque of the Apex engine...the XTX just pulls like a freight train.....it also bridges the bumps better...if there is one negative...they are a bit stiff stock..they can beat you up in the small stutters...but you can rock through the big stuff....easily the best yamaha skid in rough junk.

Over 6600 miles on my '13 XTX. Factory was a little stiff for my liking, but after a Hygear Shock package, makes it a totally different animal. No complaints here in the tight trails, the power steering must compensate for it. 225lbs out of the shower, and with suspension settings on soft with the factory suspension components felt stiff to me.
x2...a bit stiff stock...this new single shot skid has my attention...it's really my only gripe about this sled (the stiff rear)...but it works well in the big stuff...I can take on really rough stuff...that I wouldn't dare hammer through with my attak...I'm very impressed with this sled....I honestly dismissed the EPS as perfume on a pig...lol....until I rode one with it....what a difference it makes...love it.

x2...a bit stiff stock...this new single shot skid has my attention...it's really my only gripe about this sled (the stiff rear)...but it works well in the big stuff...I can take on really rough stuff...that I wouldn't dare hammer through with my attak...I'm very impressed with this sled....I honestly dismissed the EPS as perfume on a pig...lol....until I rode one with it....what a difference it makes...love it.

My Michigan ride buddy that owns two 136 Attaks has the one I posted a photo of on the PHOTO/VIDEO page with a MPI supercharger and the blue white sled wrap.......he had all his shocks redone by a shop in St. Paul,MN and the Big Boy spring and I was amazed this year how well that thing floated over everything at high speeds and slow speeds. It rode much better than my Attak GT. I think I will have him do mine next year.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/2006-attak-mpi-superchargedd-with-custom-sled-wrap.134070/

I wonder if in 2015 like the xtx I now have,had there springs changed to a softer wire! My new 15 xtx is fine on the sofest setting,plus have the clickers set soft on the rear shock,and the front skid shock softer than stock,and transfer rods set up to have just a little more transfer than there stock setting,but I do have the limiter straps tightened down all the way plus drilled extra hole and sucked it down even more,which most of us know it makes it handle better,but ride rougher when pulled down.

well I know on my 2011 xtx the springs where too heavy for my weight. I had to put nitro xtx springs on mine to get the rear of the sled to flex how it should.

When the Apex first came out in 06 I waited to buy one because of how much I loved my 02 Viper with some Bender modifications that put it at 154 hp, but I finally made the change to 4 stroke and spring checked a 07 Apex ER and just loved it and the ability to adjust the rear suspention on the side of the tunnel. Even from the 06 to the 07 they fixed the hand warmer issue they had by changing the type of handlebar material used so ever year they're improving something on it. The 06 to 10 models from what I've heard have 154 hp and then when they tweaked the motor and changed to the xup exhaust it increased to 163 hp plus as we all know they added the EPS so those changes from the 10 to the 11 in my opinion were major and after putting 12,000 miles on my 07 Apex and selling it with the original battery and track still on it to a friend for $4,200 CASH I finally made my investment to purchase a new leftover 2014 Apex XTX instead of spring checking a new 2016 and taking advantage of the +/- $2,800 savings and I can assure you there's no comparison from this new Apex to my 07 Apex due to all the improvements.......in 2 days I've already got the 300 break-in miles on it and I luv this sled, as for the tipped up rails on the 2016 XTX they have been eliminated from what I've heard but I haven't checked Yamaha's site to verify myself because that no longer matters to me now that I've made my purchase......

I hate to even say this, but it was probably Yamaha's biggest mistake was keeping the Apex name on that sled in 2011. After owning an '07 and '12, it should have been changed it is that different, and that much of an improvement.

I think the Yamaha Apex faithful would have seen through all the marketing and realized all that we loved about the apex was still there. But it would have opened our eyes earlier, that enough had changed, that this sled needed to be called something different. Some will never understand just how much better it is until they throw a leg over one.

I can't say it enough. But you will never see this big kid giggle more than when I squeeze the fun-flipper!

Tell the dealer to send em up here....they don't last a week on the floor here...one of the most sought after used sleds up here....many advantages to the XTX or a shortie apex IMO...Traction being number one...with the HP and Torque of the Apex engine...the XTX just pulls like a freight train.....it also bridges the bumps better...if there is one negative...they are a bit stiff stock..they can beat you up in the small stutters...but you can rock through the big stuff....easily the best yamaha skid in rough junk.

I noticed this year when I went to Greenland and stayed behind Pat's like we do every year they did not have anything for used Apex sleds. He always has a long lineup of used sleds and I bought my Attak from him used last year. Kip can't keep any used Apex models this season, newer or older versions. He has no new ones either. If you have never been to Pat's it is an eye opener how many machines they sell. #2 in Yamaha sales in the nation. It's a total snowmobilers hotbed there. In one week it's nothing for him to sell more than a dozen new machines, it blows my mind.

Back