• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Squeal when Primary Engages

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Phazer
Hey Guys,

I just finished up doing my offseason work on an 07 Phazer. Took it for a test ride around the yard and I noticed that the belt was squealing as the primary would engage and I would just be taking off. Additionally, it would make the same noise as I'd slow down right before a dead stop. It doesn't squeal at all when I have the back end picked up and running it there. This is an old belt and it didn't make this noise in the Spring, though I just bought it in the Spring and hardly rode it at all. Any ideas? Should I wait to take it on a longer run to see if it goes away? Or just change the belt?

Thanks,
Andy

No I didn't. Should I? What's good to use for cleaning it?
I clean both the primary and secondary clutch sheaves at the beginning of every season. I use brake clean and paper towel to clean the clutches. I then take a scrub brush and some Simply Green cleaner and scrub the belt. Make sure you scrub the outside edges of the belt. Let it dry overnight before you put it back on. G.B.

Squealing is usually belt slippage if the secondary is not opening up properly it can cause it.

If the helix gets belt dust caked in it. The best is to take it off and disamble it. Some people polish the helix but a general cleaning with a bit of water and dish soap should work. Just make sure it's all dry and I recomend not reusing the circle clip, if the fail later it can take out your clutch.

Thanks guys. I cleaned the sheaves and also put in a new belt and it definitely improved. No sound while taking off, but a fainter sound while slowing down. Not sure if there's anything I should do for the deceleration sound.

Back