• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown BOP Oil Tank Seal

Any reason not to weld it? Seems like it would be a permanent fix.

I guess I just didn't want it dripping oil on the ground or in my trailer. Now that I have a huge oil slick in my trailer, that doesn't matter lol
Very minimal if any oil coming from ROV delete and hose running under foot. It just drips a oil water mix.. Few drops nothing excessive at all.. 2 smokes pour more out through exhaust on one hard pull coming around the corner!. No really

So what do you do to fix that? Remove the ROV?
Bypass it. Hose straight off oil tank loop it up and back down by foot. Never had any issues and the nice thing is you can very quickly see warm air coming out of the hose or put you finger over it and feel the pressure.

When new, I put a T before the rov, ran it down in front of the right footwell, put a tight bolt in the end of the hose, and slit the hose about an inch. I blew into the rov when warm to see how much pressure it took, then made the slit accordingly. My old apex has a slit hose in the airbox. Super easy to pull up or see if fumes are coming out. Oil would take some time to run out that slit if on the side.

If someone Would make a oil tank, have it mount to the existing screw holes with rubber mounts to absorbe shock, and with zero gaskets (at the hose fittings) but include a drain plug maybe this issue would go away. Not sure if if feasible but with a pressure release valve if the pressure exceeds a pre dermined pressure. ‍♂️

Made it home after riding 2 up with my wife on the Venture all weekend. Couldn't go without another incident of my wife whiskey throttling in reverse into a parked Polaris (demo derby style) - lesson learned for her, sit when in reverse. What a nightmare weekend. Anyway, sleds are unloaded and in the garage melting down. I'm planning on tearing into the oil tank tomorrow. I've decided to go with a sealant this time. What is everyone using? Right Stuff? Also planning to bypass the ROV and run it down to the footwell. Sounds like 5/8" hose, anything special besides oil resistant? Does it need heat tape? Heading out Wednesday evening to the Giveaway ride so time is short.

Also, I'm sure the foam in the lower body panel is soaked with oil. Should I clean it or just scrape it out? Lower panel is removable (rivnuts).

Up in Cable WI for the weekend. Temp was ~5F. Fired up sled to warm up in the trailer. Temp was up to ~150. Heard what sounded like a semi releasing it brakes. Looked outside and didn't see anything. Went back to sled and see oil pouring all over the trailer deck. Turned it off right away. No oil light on the display so appears to not run out. Pulled the side panel off - broke the front side panel tab FML! Looks like it pushed the BOP seal out on the muffler side. BOP seal was installed properly, 1 month ago, and 300 miles. At the same time I installed the BOP oil tank bypass kit. I think I will be going back to the sealant.

NOT knocking BOP products! I think he makes great stuff for our sleds. Unfortunately in this case it didn't work out for me.
next time in extreme cold turn the key on but dont engage the starter...let the roll over valve heat up for a minute or 2 and then start the sled, you probably had a frozen ROV. I've started paying attention to the start process and so far the BOP gasket has worked very well...actually I have peace of mind knowing its there and letting the ROV thaw out. Joe

next time in extreme cold turn the key on but dont engage the starter...let the roll over valve heat up for a minute or 2 and then start the sled, you probably had a frozen ROV. I've started paying attention to the start process and so far the BOP gasket has worked very well...actually I have peace of mind knowing its there and letting the ROV thaw out. Joe

I hear you and have read the same. In my case, the sled had been running for several min and the engine temp was up to ~150F. In theory, the ROV should have had plenty of time to heat up along with everything else.

Made it home after riding 2 up with my wife on the Venture all weekend. Couldn't go without another incident of my wife whiskey throttling in reverse into a parked Polaris (demo derby style) - lesson learned for her, sit when in reverse. What a nightmare weekend. Anyway, sleds are unloaded and in the garage melting down. I'm planning on tearing into the oil tank tomorrow. I've decided to go with a sealant this time. What is everyone using? Right Stuff? Also planning to bypass the ROV and run it down to the footwell. Sounds like 5/8" hose, anything special besides oil resistant? Does it need heat tape? Heading out Wednesday evening to the Giveaway ride so time is short.
There are a few choices of sealant to use, when I had my oil tank leaking NYTURBO recommended me to use the “right stuff” close to 4K now and no leaks, just make sure it’s very well cleaned, I used crc chlorinated brake clean and gave it multiple cleaning, I never waited to torque down the bolts maybe I got lucky but it hasn’t leaked yet.

Any 5/8” oil resistant hose will do the job, heater hose will work but not for long, after some time the oil will start to eat away close to oil tank. Heat tape isn’t necessary.

Anyone with the BOP gasket smell rubber burning?? I have 300 miles on it and yesterday, rode with the 30 something crazies, so lots of hard accel. braking, no high speed runs over 90 in a field, but generally beat the hell out of them for 120 miles. When I stopped I could smell a rubbery kind of smell. It hasnt smelled riding with the old farts, but did yesterday. I believe the rubber gasket that sticks out is very close to the hot exhaust, so Im going with that. And running like that, it was hot..backfired once too under decel....Im thinking since its been poking, maybe a little carbon. But runs great.

Attachments

• 20220207_084354.jpg
    20220207_084354.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 100
I'll be digging into it today but here is a pic of the seal pushed out. I'll get better pics once I get the muffler off.

BOP Seal.jpg

Its important to realize that without the ROV deleted blowing out the BOP gasket or any gasket material is likely to happen.. I know we have heard from some that will disagree with this.. But generally speaking we have WAY MORE blown out oil tank seals with guys running the ROV then guys not running it.. GET rid of the ROV or risk ruining your trip and having oil leaks. This is not directed at confused, just pointing out some facts from the last 5 years with these sleds..

Its important to realize that without the ROV deleted blowing out the BOP gasket or any gasket material is likely to happen.. I know we have heard from some that will disagree with this.. But generally speaking we have WAY MORE blown out oil tank seals with guys running the ROV then guys not running it.. GET rid of the ROV or risk ruining your trip and having oil leaks. This is not directed at confused, just pointing out some facts from the last 5 years with these sleds..

I've seen the light lol and will be deleting mine upon reassembly. I agree in my case sealant also wouldn't have held and would speculate the gasket held longer than the sealant would have.

Back