• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GT clutching in elevation

Yamahajrp

Extreme
i may be going out west to do some riding was wondering what i should do with the clutching with a ulmer kit, i know it is a 121 and getting stuck will be the norm. But i want to go check it out before going off the deep end in a mountain sled. is there a certain weight i should adjust per 1000 ft?

Removing 1 gram per weight will add ~300rpm, that is if you have rivets in the weights from the factory. If you have what looks like aluminum rivets I'd start with drilling one out of each weight and try that, you going to want to be close to 12,000 rpm at home to turn low 11,000 at 10k

i haven't rippied into the clutch yet(the ulmers kit came on the sled when i bought it) but from the pictures i seen of the kit it looks like ou cannot take any wieght off the wieghts...is this correct?

My ulmer kit came with no weight in the holes.

Yes you can use standard yamaha weights. I can't remember exactly but I think you can use 11mm & 13 mm in the standard phazer .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What is your secondary set at?

the secondary as far as i know has not been touched, unless the instruction with the ulmer kits says to move the spring but i don't think it does, i will switch back to stock wieghts and spring do some runs and see where i am sitting and adjust so i am hitting 12k rpms at my current altitude.

As far as into the deep stuff i will dive into the powder as far as i can go, but not expecting anything too great

First there is no perfect setup for a trail sled to go mountain way. Your gearing is 20/41 stock which is a bit tall. With that being said you want to set your secondary to B:1 your stock setting is A:1. This will allow the sled to maintain a higher rpm through shift out so you don't bog down in the deep stuff. Service manual shows a total of 48.98 Grams per arm for 8000-10,000' with the stock arms setup. The manual shows 6 Grams per arm less for that elevation. Don't know what Ulmers arms weigh but this will get you started.

Also on the grams per arm for rpms you always want to stay equal on each arm with your adjustments. 1 Gram less per arm you will increase 100 rpm on the tach. When removing weight just think the grams on 1 arm that is how much rpm will drop not all 3 added together.

thanks, not looking like i will be goin after all too many people in the group as is for the cabin but still nice to know this information for the future, ulmers kit has no wieghts in it so i do not see how you would remove wieght on it, so stock clutching would have been with my only option, still time i guess if someone drops out before monday, don't see that happening though.

Back