• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Newbie.....

I just made the connection from your name on dootalk. Been reading that thread over there for a few weeks now ( and posted a few times). Most definitely welcome to you, especially with the minor ribbing you are getting over there. Fun thread.

I'm not sure I'm in the majority here, but the list I am doing follows:

1) studs 192 for the 137" ( with that much power I think I will need it). I ( and many others on here) have considered a pre studded track as well. Many opinions on that here too.
2) taller windshield( don't think you will need this as I believe you got the SE if I recall correct). For some of us LE guys the hood ornament isn't going to cut it.
3) I'm getting a skid/float plate for protection and my time off trail
4) I'm getting a grab bar to help protect that inter cooler
5) powderkeg for me too. The yammie fuel and storage options are not Quite what you are used to with linq
6) handguards
7) the skis and slim jims I mentioned and of course an extra belt.
8) j&t wheel kit

Next year:
Duponts

If I have it after the 5 year warranty:
Turbo dynamics exhaust or similar

Like I said, I may not be in the majority. Poke around and there are topics going about almost all of those things.

Ive bolded what Im doing from his list and tweaked slightly...Add to that..heated riser bag (from my 800 etec) and the OSP belt adjuster and change tool...

a OSP exhaust and most importantly ...SLP Mohawk skis with bergstrom ski savers and triple points..!

DuPont sliders, big wheel kit, carbides/skis, anything else or other opinions are always welcome.

I just want to allocate money were it belongs.
apex throttle lever kit from barn full of parts

Welcome to the ''dark side'' mr. metal! You'll find the most helping & informative people on this site. Some are really super smart. I'm not one of them. I just ride & crack jokes. Please give us a newbie-used to be yellow-point of view. We'd love to hear some opinions that aren't all blue...

Ive bolded what Im doing from his list and tweaked slightly...Add to that..heated riser bag (from my 800 etec) and the OSP belt adjuster and change tool...

a OSP exhaust and most importantly ...SLP Mohawk skis with bergstrom ski savers and triple points..!
SJ...is the exhaust a warranty issue? Or are you not concerned?

TO STUD or NOT TO STUD...that is the question. I'm putting on Ice-Attack & ''sj'' (who is one of the super smart ones) is putting like a 1000 studs in, sharpened & honed to a make surgeon jealous...

Welcome to the ''dark side'' mr. metal! You'll find the most helping & informative people on this site. Some are really super smart. I'm not one of them. I just ride & crack jokes. Please give us a newbie-used to be yellow-point of view. We'd love to hear some opinions that aren't all blue...

Well, I've always been able to ride hard thru the tight stuff. But as I get older it's become apparent that I'm not as good as I once was. So last. Couple seasons I've been contemplating a 4s. Skidoo has a 900 & 1200 available. Ridden both. Felt the 1200 was strong but not the final answer. 900 was reluctantly, going to be it.

Until I heard about the Sidewinder......having a great appreciation for what and who Yamaha is....I just had to.

The Sidewinder is the most technically Advanced sled to ever grace the snow. Going to take the competition a few seasons to catch up. Lol! So I thought it was time to jump!

As I explained on dootalk what this sleds means to snowmobiling, I met with resistance, by some. "It's too heavy" or "doesn't have a heated lunch box" blah, blah, blah. Lol! It's all good. Some are brand loyal, I'm willing to look at everything with blinders off.

With that said, I'm completely reinvigorated! And appreciate the input that YT and members can provide.

Ill still be on dootalk, as I still have a couple of 2s xp's.
But I'm not a spy. Just a person that seeks the truth and will try to educate others as I go along.....

Peace, joe

Last edited:
Sorry Steve, I reread.....

Skidoo is the one of the best marketing companies in the biz. In my opinion, second only to Harley Davidson.

They built a new XP in '08, reengineered the plastics in '14 and stayed on top in sales by sprinkling fairy dust on an 8yrs old chassis. Lol! I have to hand it to them.

They are well thought-out and accessorize their products, full tilt.

But in my personal opinion, have did little since '08.

Yes, etec, rmotion, Ras, and ets skis. Huge, but getting old.

I was looking for a game changer, that I didn't see coming soon enough.

Last edited:
4-wheel kit for safety if you travel way out in the wilderness. Not too sold on the "big wheel" option. Studs. Taller windshield. Handguards. DuPonts. Saddlebag luggage.

Welcome JTmetal :)

You will find the best and most helpful people here as this site doesn't favor backlash, name-calling and superb info about your sled! Don't be afraid to ask questions.....we are all here to help

For those who are studding....be careful.... I wish they wouldn't have put such a large heat exchanger under the tunnel, but it is what it is.

I need to find some skis for floatation as the tuner skis are not going to work.

SJ...is the exhaust a warranty issue? Or are you not concerned?

the way I do it its not a concern...also, only the track and wheels are not warrantied once studded...well of course other than a thrown stud in a heat exchanger ; )

for those who dont demand the maximum traction...I recommend going with Steves option...but recommend the 1.22 pre studded track..

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of the SE having a taller windshield...does anyone have a picture of this?

Sorry Steve, I reread.....

Skidoo is the one of the best marketing companies in the biz. In my opinion, second only to Harley Davidson.

They built a new XP in '08, reengineered the plastics in '14 and stayed on top in sales by sprinkling fairy dust on an 8yrs old chassis. Lol! I have to hand it to them.

They are well thought-out and accessorize their products, full tilt.

But in my personal opinion, have did little since '08.

Yes, etec, rmotion, Ras, and ets skis. Huge, but getting old.

I was looking for a game changer, that I didn't see coming soon enough.
Well said & I agree. Their marketing is second to none, not to mention i love their locking bags systems, clothes & accessories. But blue is my favorite color since i was 3. Not a way to choose a $16,000 sled, but i like BLUE!

JT all of the info you have gotten so far is valuable "BUT" this is a new set up and no one but a few test riders actually know how this package will preform in production trim.

There are guys that do not like the tuner skis but I have tried Simmons, curve and Mohawks and ended up back with the tuners with 8" shaper bars on the outside and 6" regulars on the inside. I have run the bikini windshield on both of mine for 4 years now and would not go to a taller windshield but my gear is motor fist and a BVS helmet not suit from Walmart.

The Sidewinder is a $15000 ish sled that is the most complete package that has ever been brought to the market place and should deliver the power, speed, ride comfort and handling that anyone can ask for. Some of us spent 20 to 25 K on our vipers to get them to the output and ride of this sled. I would recommend that you ride it then make a list of areas you would like to improve. You may find that another $2000 in accessories does not actually help in any way.

Back