• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pull the trigger on a 998 or 900R?

I saw your post over on Dootalk so you will get some feedback there as well. I will post here to not get too much blowback!

I personally love the one quote that when you buy a 998 it’s like 2 Sled’s in 1: half throttle is a 900r, full throttle is 998.

But on a more serious note, it does all depend on where you ride, how you like to ride and how long long you want to keep it.
There are fixes to do on a 998, but it is VERY EASY to work on. Complete hood is off in 30 seconds. If you do have to do anything on 900R it’s not quite as easy.
I think the obvious notes have been hit already:
- 998 is faster
- 998 has better front end
- 998 easier to tune for more hp
- You get EPS which negates any weight or heaviness feel

- 900R has better rear suspension
- 900R better storage and accessories
- 900R better fit and finish
- 900R better dealer network if do have an issue on a trip
- 900R you can get the nice 10.25 gauge.

I also think fuel mileage is the same between the 2 if ridden hard .

I know you rode a zr9000, but you should really try a 900r to see if you like the throttle. It’s still not the same feel despite what everyone on dootalk says. I think you get used to it, but it’s definitely not like a real cable throttle.
Also, I disagree on ‘maintenance free’ for a 900r. A lot of high mileage Québec riders on the French forums are complaining about cracked turbo manifolds every 6000kms ($$$$$, like 3500 or try your luck welding )and fuel pumps clogging that leave you stranded. Nobody can seem to figure out if it’s the tanks or fuel sock or pump. But it is an issue on higher mileage sleds.

I’m obviously still on a 998 for a reason. There will still be parts available for many years to come….

The other thing I will add is the DOO culture vs Yamaha culture, which comes into play when fixing and maintaining.
For a Yamacat, everything is out in the open, we have a list of master fixes and issues that need to be addressed. Over on dootalk, it’s like their sh*t doesn’t stink! There is no master list and people are always denying issues (like the fuel pump or turbo ones i mentioned). There are still 2 camps for the throttle, some ppl
love it, some hate it. I don’t understand that mentality, why not help each other out?
Same thing I saw for clutching and RPMS. Some are fast and some slow and no real consensus on how to address issues, it’s like you are on your own having to research.
Dunno…
Well said, totally agree 100%.
Few years back leaving Dubreuilville heading towards Hearst I had a issue with the dmc bushing seized to the shaft and I only had forward for the rest of the week, another brp group also was riding up to Hearst and we encountered them at some stops along the way and they always seemed huddled together around there sleds. By the time we got to Hearst I had people asking me what’s wrong with my sled and it was the talk of the night but no mention about the brp’s, a few weeks later found out that they were having limp mode issues, gauges going blank had to shorten the trip but everything was kept quiet lol.

Doo culture is definitely a unique breed, I’d rather be on Ty.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and comments. This forum is amazing! I decided to try out a 25 Lynx 900r Xterrian. I’m sure I’ll pick up a used Sidewinder in a year or two because I really do enjoy them……thanks again

Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses and comments. This forum is amazing! I decided to try out a 25 Lynx 900r Xterrian. I’m sure I’ll pick up a used Sidewinder in a year or two because I really do enjoy them……thanks again
The Xterrain is the only 900r I would consider, good choice! Just wish it was faster . :)
Keep us posted on your experience

Back