• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel Ice- anyone ever figure out a way to stop it?

Headed back to Hurley this week. I bought some Teflon based ice repellant at Menard's. I figure I'll give it a try before pulling the skid and building a plate. I'll let you all know if it works

Headed back to Hurley this week. I bought some Teflon based ice repellant at Menard's. I figure I'll give it a try before pulling the skid and building a plate. I'll let you all know if it works

The plate can be easily installed by simply dropping the rear of the skid (lift the rear end, release the torsion springs, remove the two rear bolts, cut/shape/install the plate, install two rear suspension bolts, install torsion springs, done)...

Been thinking hard on the tunnel block off plate and decided to build one instead of getting the 3/4 plate that probably only solves 1/2 of the icing probs.
However, my xtx with 1.75" lugs does not have the tunnel protectors. I am thinking of adding a used set of slides as tunnel protectors, but more so to have a solid attaching point for my block off plate.
However, if I dont attach used slides, how are some of you attaching your homemade block off plates to your tunnel? Just bending the alum down on its sides so it sits against the top of the tunnel sides and rivetting it against the tunnel??

I would just bend the aluminum to take the place of the protectors. Basically you need to bend so it is flat against the tunnel for attachment, then a section bent down for clearance or what ever depths the tunnel protectors are and then bend for the flat section.
Looking at the end and straight on to the bends the left side should look like a Z and the right side should be a back wards Z. But you don't needed it slanted like a Z just straight down. Or another way of picturing it is like a upside down top hat. Very low profile top hat. lol.

I just did my 153" MTX after another weekend of tons of ice build up riding in deep snow. I only did 36" from where my tunnel side heat exchanger is located to just short of the bumper. Had to get the under the tunnel muffler exit welded so that it had a 90 degree turn towards the track. Heading up to the CSA State meeting this weekend (Meeker Co) to ride the Flat Tops should be good and deep. Hope to give a positive report on this next week. I did most of the install guidelines posted above in this thread. Thanks to all who provided details!! A-Arms are next.....

The plate can be easily installed by simply dropping the rear of the skid (lift the rear end, release the torsion springs, remove the two rear bolts, cut/shape/install the plate, install two rear suspension bolts, install torsion springs, done)...

Don't even have to release the springs-
Chain fall it high up, take out 2 rear bolts and pivot the whole skid forward out of the way...
Get in there easily to install, 36" works fine.

Im sure this has been said but I sprayed down the undertunnel with WD-40 silicone spray before a 3 day trip to the Big horns. It helped alot. still had some ice but much better

Well the Teflon spray treatment WORKED!!! And I only sprayed it down before I left. 4 day trip and it didn't wash off. It wasn't "perfectly" clean from ice but it was damn close. I even sprayed down the taillight and it didn't ice over, which was a first! Only thing I did was be proactive about "bouncing out" the skid when we would stop to fill with gas or eat or the end of the day. Bounce it out when you stop and before you take back off. Hope this helps.

Burnzy
Any chance you remember the name of it or could snap a picture of it. Heading to Eagle River this weekend to test my block off plate and the "Sure Foot" tunnel treatment. It can't hurt to spray a little of the Teflon spray on as well LOL!

I found it! $2.99 per can on close out at menards. I bought 4 of them LOL, if it works great if not cheap enough not to care.
I modified my block off plate, I was just afraid my charge tube for the turbo would get too hot being blocked off next to the header. Now try not to laugh too much this is just a proto type & will get cleaned up if it pans out. I will also extend the plate & cover the entire header.

Attachments

• IMG_20150126_194020_173.jpg
    IMG_20150126_194020_173.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 305
This picture didn't post the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_20150126_200825_541.jpg
    IMG_20150126_200825_541.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 302
I made mine over the weekend. My sled came without tunnel protectors. I got 2 aluminum L brackets 36" from Home Depot along with a sheet of 36" sheet metal. Turned out great but we'll see how it works. I left the back open for airflow to help keep exhaust cool but, I'm concerned now that snow might get on top in the rear? Might have to rivet it to the back of the tunnel to close it off but I'll try it first.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 270
I made mine over the weekend. My sled came without tunnel protectors. I got 2 aluminum L brackets 36" from Home Depot along with a sheet of 36" sheet metal. Turned out great but we'll see how it works. I left the back open for airflow to help keep exhaust cool but, I'm concerned now that snow might get on top in the rear? Might have to rivet it to the back of the tunnel to close it off but I'll try it first.

When I originally did mine, I left the back open and found there to be significant ice build up at the end of the tunnel so I ran a piece out to the end and have pretty much zero ice build up now....

Question - to the guys that have the whole tunnel off. I noticed this year that the heat from the exhaust is much hotter on the plastic shrouds around it. On one side the decal is starting to shrivel. I would have thought there was enough room around it, to allow air to vent properly. Might have to buy a Hindle which takes up less space back there. Lol
MS

Back