• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel Ice- anyone ever figure out a way to stop it?

Thanks Shadow637 but I don't it will help with my situation since I have the under the tunnel exhaust system. Pretty sure the only thing I can do is a custom fabrication, hoping Grizz or others will let me know that I should do this. Thanks for the offer....

Thanks Shadow637 but I don't it will help with my situation since I have the under the tunnel exhaust system. Pretty sure the only thing I can do is a custom fabrication, hoping Grizz or others will let me know that I should do this. Thanks for the offer....

Here is what I did for my under tunnel.

IMAG0034.jpg IMAG0036.jpg

The spray on water repellent I tried just peeled off in the cold temp. I might give the block off plate a try over the summer. Mine will be a little more complicated since I have a push turbo and one of the new style MPI heat exchanger. If anyone has done something with that set up please let me know. I'm thinking the easiest thing to do will be just sheet metal across from the left side tunnel (do a 90 degree bend and just rivet to the side of the tunnel) and then stop it next to the MPI cooler ( I'll use vertical supports to mount this side). I'll just need to cut an opening for the silencer dump out point.
I know using the blank off will decrease some of the efficiency of the heat exchanger since minimal snow will land on top of the cooler but right now the sled runs around 154 on the trail with scarthers.

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_133056_363.jpg
    IMG_20140712_133056_363.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 369
  • blank off.pdf
    341.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20140712_133056_363.jpg
    IMG_20140712_133056_363.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 331
Thanks Shadow, did you take the sheet all the way to the front of the tunnel? Looks like we are using the same magnaflow muffler.

Thanks Shadow, did you take the sheet all the way to the front of the tunnel? Looks like we are using the same magnaflow muffler.

No, I did not go all the way to the front. If memory serves me right I went past the front of the muffler and flanged it up to block off the top. I used the SDR muffler that was for sale on TY a couple years ago, not sure if he is still making them or not.

Guys I just found this stuff called "Sure Foot " it's a ice free coating for your running boards.
http://betweenthelinesdesigns.com/?page_id=480
I'm going to call the company today and ask if it would work on the inside of a tunnel. Has anyone else seen this before?

Last edited:
I used there tunnel spray. It helped a little bit, but still get ice buildup.

Pete

Pete,
I now have the million dollar question for you. Is the cost of the product and time it takes to apply it worth the improvements you get over a none coated tunnel?

Thanks
Edge

You have to drop the track (2 rear bolts) hang the rear end up high and then tape off exhaust, nuts ,bolts, etc. you don't want coated. I used a spray gun and it took me about 45 min to spray it on(its thick). I would say it is probably not worth it and some of the stuff has already worn off. I think the block off idea Grizz and a few others have done seems like the better way to go.

Pete

The under tunnel muffler is going to be harder to cover due to clearance. The best way to reduce icing is to reduce the amount of snow melt by shielding the exhaust. The shield needs to have adequate air flow between it and the exhaust so the heat is still removed and the shielding surface doesn't get so hot it also melts the snow. I suspect the muffler is melting snow and it's refreezing in the rear of the tunnel. Possibly moving the muffler to the rear of the tunnel and shielding the manifold up to the muffler would help. You could also try installing a flat sheet of aluminum behind the muffler that covers the tail pipe and allows the hot exhaust to flow over the top of the plate and escape around the sides of the tunnel. I've never dealt with an under tunnel exhaust so I'm just throwing ideas out.

I would start with something like this then make modifications from there if necessary.
under tunnel exhaust.jpg

Has anyone thought about or tried electric heat tape? This is used typically used to keep pipes from freezing. It takes minimal current and would definitely keep ice off the tunnel. The main issue I can see is trying to secure it to the inside of the tunnel. In theory it would work great but in application it may not be the best.
I just wanted to throw it out there.

Attachments

• www.oemheaters.com_image...aters_Freezstop FLV.pdf
    472.7 KB · Views: 277
Good heat tape is expensive and putting the extra load on the stator would be an issue. In theory it would not work great due to the application. Running a full tunnel heat exchanger would be the answer but most don't have the resources or knowledge to modify the tunnel and plumbing.

Thanks for the insight Grizz. I ended up making my own blank off last night.
I was afraid about not getting any snow on the top heat exchanger but Matt at MPI said not to worry that cooler will still have plenty of cooling. Time will tell & post my results. Sorry for the poor pics I was having issues with my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20150109_225549_767.jpg
    IMG_20150109_225549_767.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_20150109_225623_224.jpg
    IMG_20150109_225623_224.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 251
View attachment 101403 I just made a tunnel cover and rivet it to the tunnel protectors. 15 3/4 wide x 48 inches long. Before I covered in the tunnel I wrapped the exhaust and prayed the area near the front of the Tunnel with Very high temperature ceramic spray. My goal was to keep the exhaust temperatures in the pipe and out the tail pipe.
Now wait for snow to Try it out.

Back