• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ultimax 3 belt vs. Stock

Re: BELTS

skyboz said:
grumpysanta said:
WASH NEW BELTS WITH HOT SOAPY WATER TO REMOVE FILM AND BREAK IN FOR AT LEAST 10 MILES EASY . IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERANCE

I put my new belts in the dishwasher without soap before I put them on!!!

I've gotten in trouble for placing all sorts of parts in there... I have an old dishwasher in the basement I plan to hook up for parts washer duty.

Re: BELTS

bjowett said:
skyboz said:
grumpysanta said:
WASH NEW BELTS WITH HOT SOAPY WATER TO REMOVE FILM AND BREAK IN FOR AT LEAST 10 MILES EASY . IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERANCE

I put my new belts in the dishwasher without soap before I put them on!!!

I've gotten in trouble for placing all sorts of parts in there... I have an old dishwasher in the basement I plan to hook up for parts washer duty.

HEY! That's a good idea.................. ;)!

I'm going to get an Ultimax XS this weekend! I'll keep the stocker for my back up. The part # for the FX Nytro is XS805!! :flag:

I found Carlisles xs to be $30 more that daycos hpx. I went with the hpx since they are the original makers of the ultimate line before they sold it to carlisle.

Ultimate XS805 seems to be a good belt. They pull the R's down some. Not sure if that is because of the cut of the new belt, or because it hooks better on the sheaves. (New belts tend to pull R's down no matter what). I just tried one the other day. The XS is very flexible and easy to bend. Not sure how it will hold up, but I intend to find out.

Knapp. keep us informed..... Does your Primary have any machining done to it?

No machining at all. I'm gearing the stock Attaks down to 23/40. The gears just came in today. A stock geared (23/38) Attak will do better than 145 on dream meter with turbo. The stockers should do much better geared down a bit. Ordered another XS805 which also came in today too. We'll se how they hold up. The XS seems to be longer than the 8DN so it to will gear the machine down a bit more as it will start in a lower gear sitting out of the driven a farther and won't pull into driven as far during full shiftout. I'm curious to see how this belt does for fuel mileage also, it sure is flexible. It reminds me of the expensive Mitsobishi belts that worked so good on my V-Max-4 dragsleds.

Nytro40th said:
One thing I find is the Carlisle ultimax 3 is way over priced compared to the Dayco HPX. About thirty dollars more. I have never broken one on my SXR.

What kind of prices are you seeing? Both Hartmann, Inc. and Bob's Cycle Supply have the Ultimax 3 for $59.

As for the kitchen appliance thing, when I got the bright idea to paint my boat prop day-glo yellow to match the boat, I thought that it would be more durable with a baked-on finish, so - your guessed it - I popped it in the oven for a loving 2-hour slow bake at 210 degrees. The wife was NOT amused when she got home and inspected what I was cooking for the family dinner . . . .

The XS is alot more expensive then the Ultimax 3,ive seen most prices near $100 dollars for the XS....the ultimax 3 is not their top Belt anymore as the XS is......

After seeing what Mike Knapp said about the XS805 being abit longer...I checked into some SPECS for us....

Stock 8DN belts according to the APEX shop manual...

Original stock 8dn-00 belt Dimensions:
-OC....1,129mm~1,137mm OR 44.4~44.8"
-Width....34.5mm OR 1.36"

XS805:
-OC....45-1/8"
-Width....1-3/8"

XS804:
-OC....44-7/8"
-Width....1-7/16"

Now here are my thoughts....below I've posted the LINK to the PDF page of Carlisle belt dimensions....and from what im seeing,the XS804 SHOULD work much better as it has a OC of 44-7/8" and a width of 1-7/16".
so its 1/4" shorter in OC and 1/16 WIDER in width,and for US guys who have CUT OUR CLUTCHES,this 1/16 wider width would be PERFECT.

I would like your guys feedback on this theory....IMO i think this would be a better bet then XS805,which being longer IMO MAY lose top end speed.

Carlisle Dimension PDF:
http://208.136.201.53/pdf/snow/snowmobi ... nsions.pdf

thanks
dan

Back