• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Unable to tighten sled track

Then I would guess someone extended it.
I would bet that's the case; or at a minimum, swapped suspensions. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the RX-1 Mountains have the handlebar loop which his is missing.

I would bet that's the case; or at a minimum, swapped suspensions. If I'm not mistaken, didn't the RX-1 Mountains have the handlebar loop which his is missing.
Yes I think so and the suspension you have looks more like a 144”

from what your pics show and what everyone is saying, i think that might be a sx viper mountain skid

from what your pics show and what everyone is saying, i think that might be a sx viper mountain skid
Sorry for my ignorance but how would you know? Is there a part number on it? Thanks

There won't be any markings on the suspension itself but there are some on this forum that are very familiar with the various suspensions Yamaha has used and can identify the different suspensions visually. If someone did swap suspensions, I suspect they would have had to use different mounting points. If that's the case, then you should be able see existing holes in the tunnel that are no longer used (ie. when I installed my Expert-X in my RX-1, I had to drill new mounting holes to bolt the suspension to the tunnel). I also extended my RX-1 from a 121" to a 136" and the 121" did not come with the rear tunnel extension. Just like I had to do, someone would have had to add the tunnel extension so you could look to see how its mounted (does it look stock or something installed afterwards) as well as if the rivets look different (ie. not stock).

This might help, found an image of an 03 RX-1 Mountain to compare with

03RX1Mountain.JPG

i was just looking at the pictures i could find of one on line and the height the sled is sitting at as the sx viper mountain sleds sat lower at the rear than the rx sleds. odds are they only moved the rear suspension mounting points unless they made a bastardized skid using viper rails and the rx shocks and steel parts.

There won't be any markings on the suspension itself but there are some on this forum that are very familiar with the various suspensions Yamaha has used and can identify the different suspensions visually. If someone did swap suspensions, I suspect they would have had to use different mounting points. If that's the case, then you should be able see existing holes in the tunnel that are no longer used (ie. when I installed my Expert-X in my RX-1, I had to drill new mounting holes to bolt the suspension to the tunnel). I also extended my RX-1 from a 121" to a 136" and the 121" did not come with the rear tunnel extension. Just like I had to do, someone would have had to add the tunnel extension so you could look to see how its mounted (does it look stock or something installed afterwards) as well as if the rivets look different (ie. not stock).

Attachments

• E852736E-7DA0-43AC-BE24-C2C8398F1425.jpeg
    E852736E-7DA0-43AC-BE24-C2C8398F1425.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 131
Yes I would say that there are previous holes from the original skid. What would you say?

yup. any pic of the rear mount?

Not sure what the rear mount is? Lol but I’m guessing one of these pics should get it?

Attachments

• 5EC1F8A4-B6AB-455E-BF91-F67FDB41BB8B.jpeg
    5EC1F8A4-B6AB-455E-BF91-F67FDB41BB8B.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 113
  • FF0ACFF9-4D24-4938-942A-20B82DBD1ACF.jpeg
    FF0ACFF9-4D24-4938-942A-20B82DBD1ACF.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 110
  • FA839399-5435-4864-A637-15F4A22E8B4A.jpeg
    FA839399-5435-4864-A637-15F4A22E8B4A.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 110
So I’m guessing this adjusting the skid is above my knowledge. Just wondering what would happen if I just rode the way it is?

If the track is too long for the suspension/suspension to short for the track, I'm not sure there are any adjustments you can make to the skid knowing the axle is as far back as it can go. One possible option would be to see if you could run larger rear axle wheels as a means to take up some of the slack. As for riding it the way it is, if the track is too loose, then the track will ratchet and by ratchet, I mean the drive axle wheel sprockets will spin/rotate inside the track (ie. not spin the track) due to the track being too loose. By looking at your pictures, the sag (track deflection) doesn't look that bad. If you have a fish scale, you can measure the track deflection where I believe it's approximately 20lbs at 1in. and compare it to what yours is to see how much looser it is.

Back