• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WOW still riding an 04mtn

Well i couldn't take the old girl beat'n me up any more. After riding my brothers Nitro turbo with a front end kit, I knew i needed to upgrade. A little too loyal to the Yamaha brand I decided to stick with it. They had a great finance offer last year so I bought a 2017 Sidewinder. The first ride out I thought that I made a HUGE mistake buying another Yamaha sled.
I did some reading on proper setup of the suspension, made some adjustments and it made a world of difference. Stock off the floor it sucked. A few tweeks to the shocks and it was night and day. My brother who is loyal to his Do0 liked the way it handled, and was overwhelmed with the power it had. I will say that I didn't buy it for the power, more for the ride. the RX1 was beating the sh#t out of me, it was riding me not the other way around. The sidewinder, although still heavy wasn't riding me, I am riding it.
I still have the 04 RX1 mtn and will likely keep it for many years. It has seen many upgrades like a light weight front end, a skidoo skid and seat, straight pipe exhaust and light weight battery. It get into places it shouldn't, it takes a poke or 3. Been a great sled but the new technology and better ride is much better for my old body.
By the way the power that the Sidewinder has is CRAZY. Way more than I need. Gets me into too much trouble.

I just got done swapping everything off my badly bent up turbo sled into a unwrecked 600 mile chassis. It was a ton of work but should almost be like riding a new heavy outdated sled. This is what I started with.
15oi4cx.jpg

Ken................

image.jpeg
Nice work,I bet that would be a big job.Me and wife have been putting on the miles this year on the 2004 rx1s!! Not the best snow but all the ditches keep filling up from the wind,and it's not melting a whole bunch ,which helps........Yamaha says VROOOOM VROOOOOM

Last edited:

Back