• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets, Open, vs Full Face, vs Modular.

A lot of balaclava's (including all the Klim one's) leak warm moist air back up through the small gap under your eyes that is created by the way the balaclava integrated breathbox rests across your nose. This is always an issue for people who wear glasses and even for some people who wear goggles with the Klim Arctic-type balaclavas. The only system I've seen that doesn't bleed air back toward your eyes is the No Fog branded balaclava... Of course facial structure plays a role in the effectiveness of any system.. like steiner said above... there's some trial and error involved and what works for one person may not work for another. Either way, if you can get the open face setup to work for you there's simply no better solution out there... it's light-weight, greatly increases your vision, and (IMO) looks a lot better lol. Also, make sure the top vent of the goggle is not closed off.. it needs to be open to allow moisture to vent out of the goggle. You'll notice this year's 509 Sinister X5 Goggle has 3 nubs on the top of the goggle to keep a gap there. If the goggle seals up against the top eye port you will be miserable as warm moist air from your head permeates the interior of the goggle from the top down.

Last edited:

I think you guys are right about the balaclavas letting moisture up through around the nose area. I can wear my glasses outside no problem, but if I wear a helmet they fog up. The Fog Tech I ordered came in today. We don't have enough snow left to try the sled, but this weekend I may take the Grizzly out with my helmet and balaclava and see if it works for me. It would be sweet if it works and I don't have anymore issues with fogging. I almost wonder to if I took the face shield off and wore my goggles if I'd have better luck. The goggles might seal off the balaclava enough around the eyes so the moisture stays out. I might try that if the Fog Tech doesn't work. If none of this works maybe I'll try the NoFog balaclava. There has to be a solution out there. :)

fog tech worked for me.
Have to reapply everytime you ride

Well we got some more snow this week and it was cold today so it was the perfect time to grab my sled and test out the Fog Tech. I was a little skeptical that something like this would work, but I figured it was worth a try. I'm happy to say that it worked awesome !! It was around 15 F today and with my face shield and vents closed my glasses stayed perfectly clear. I missed a tiny spot in the corner of one lens and that small spot fogged up, but everything else clear. That really shows how good it works. Thanx for the advice sfcjeff, it will be really nice to be able to wear my glasses this winter. And it will be nice with my new helmet to be able to choose between using the face shield or using my goggles.

I'll chime-in on the glasses: There were two things I've done to eliminate fogging of glasses: (1) Eliminate the glasses by wearing contacts (2) Eliminate the problem of contacts with LASIC. I have two friends that wears glasses and the both use BV2S with great success. Having said that: One of the dumbest things I ever did was start my day off wearing an MX helmet & goggles at 17*F and then found myself in temps well below zero later that night. There was absolutely NOTHING I could do but stick my head in my windshield and drive VERY VERY slow for what seemed an eternity. Keep in mind that I'm 6'6" and NOT a contortionist.

I've thought about contacts, but my insurance doesn't cover them and the fog tech works good for now. It works good enough that I actually wear my glasses now instead of leaving them home and straining my eyes all day.

on the modular three helmet with electric shield should there be a light to show its on? tia

I have had a couple days now with the FXR Fuel. Klim Balaclava. Overall I am happy with this setup...
Only problem so far is that the drop down sun shade gets frosted up when it is left in the up position for and extended period on a cold -15 day.

Well I have an update on my fogging problem with glasses and I should've solved it for good. I got contacts yesterday. I found out that my insurance does in fact pay for them with a small co pay. I've been told right along that my insurance doesn't cover them, but although I still work in the same industry, my new job with the same insurance company has some differences. For the better. I wasn't able to ride this weekend because of things I had to do, like my eye exam yesterday and taxes today, but I can't wait to try them out next weekend !! I may even be taking Friday off to go ridin' with my father, hopefully that works out. It will be so nice not having to deal with glasses and just focus on riding. Thanks for all the input guys.

Those with BVS2 electric shield claim no ice build up with freezing rain has me saying no way! Bud plugged in BVS2 electric shield froze as bad as my non electric brp mod in freezing rain on multiple trips. We looked at BVS2 electric shield design & noticed wiring was on inside of visor no wonder it did nothing for outside ice coatings. So how are you avoiding freezing rain ice build up????

Well I have an update on my fogging problem with glasses and I should've solved it for good. I got contacts yesterday. I found out that my insurance does in fact pay for them with a small co pay. I've been told right along that my insurance doesn't cover them, but although I still work in the same industry, my new job with the same insurance company has some differences. For the better. I wasn't able to ride this weekend because of things I had to do, like my eye exam yesterday and taxes today, but I can't wait to try them out next weekend !! I may even be taking Friday off to go ridin' with my father, hopefully that works out. It will be so nice not having to deal with glasses and just focus on riding. Thanks for all the input guys.
Hope you don't think you will throw contacts in your eyes & ride...doesn't work that way takes your eyes time to adjust to contacts + some peeps unable to wear them at all. Keep your glasses close by may not be done with them by along shot.

Hope you don't think you will throw contacts in your eyes & ride...doesn't work that way takes your eyes time to adjust to contacts + some peeps unable to wear them at all. Keep your glasses close by may not be done with them by along shot.

Yeah the eye doctor has me wearing them a few hours a day to get my eyes used to them. I had them in 4hrs yesterday and about 6hrs today today. They don't seem to bother my eyes so far. I hope by the weekend I'll be able to leave them in long enough for a ride. I will definitely have my glasses with me in case I need them. Hopefully I wont though because I'm sick of having to choose between not wearing my glasses or looking through wet lenses. The fog tech seemed to work at first, but after riding all day my glasses aren't fogged up, but they are soaking wet. I've tried all combinations of with or without the breathbox, different, balaclavas, and different positions for the balaclavas. The only thing I have any luck with at all is to have my face shield cracked open which seems to help, but it sucks in really cold weather. I really have high hopes for the contacts. I'm still getting used to wearing them and putting them in and taking them out. If they don't work I may have to go with the BVS2 helmet I guess. I really hate to though since I love my new helmet and I'm not sure how I'll like the mask in those helmets.

Yeah the eye doctor has me wearing them a few hours a day to get my eyes used to them. I had them in 4hrs yesterday and about 6hrs today today. They don't seem to bother my eyes so far. I hope by the weekend I'll be able to leave them in long enough for a ride. I will definitely have my glasses with me in case I need them. Hopefully I wont though because I'm sick of having to choose between not wearing my glasses or looking through wet lenses. The fog tech seemed to work at first, but after riding all day my glasses aren't fogged up, but they are soaking wet. I've tried all combinations of with or without the breathbox, different, balaclavas, and different positions for the balaclavas. The only thing I have any luck with at all is to have my face shield cracked open which seems to help, but it sucks in really cold weather. I really have high hopes for the contacts. I'm still getting used to wearing them and putting them in and taking them out. If they don't work I may have to go with the BVS2 helmet I guess. I really hate to though since I love my new helmet and I'm not sure how I'll like the mask in those helmets.
Really sounds like you suffer from hot head & need to reduce your internal temp for glasses just too much headsweat being generated or your body moisture is leeching up under your chin into your helmet. Contacts wiil help you a lot or simply chill down a bit. I cut some tog elders from trail on Friday maybe 7F or so ...I got heated up took me hours & lots of venting to get my internal temp down again but once adjusted no more glasses fogging....I use fog zero paste & brp mod 1. For me ,yes, Fog zero helps a lot but it is all about the body temp & that is up to me to regulate & I have lots of zipper vents & use them.

on the modular three helmet with electric shield should there be a light to show its on? tia

There should be on all helmets but there isn't. Have both the Mod 2 and 3 and neither have a light.

My 2 cents..ride trails only. Use a full face with heated shield. And communicators. Never any icing or fogging issues. Communicator mike doesn't freeze up. Never cold. I use a Katahdin Balcalva. I plug the air vents. This setup gets me thru any weather or temps.

Back