• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Helmets, Open, vs Full Face, vs Modular.

i wear glasses. near sighted. my sight isn't that bad and i can get by without glasses but really like to see well while snowmobiling. i am on my 5th and hopefully last helmet. every helmet has always fogged my glasses except my BV2S that i bought a couple of months ago. i am very impressed with this helmet and would recommend it to anyone(just hold onto your wallet, shes pricey) great helmet!

i wear glasses. near sighted. my sight isn't that bad and i can get by without glasses but really like to see well while snowmobiling. i am on my 5th and hopefully last helmet. every helmet has always fogged my glasses except my BV2S that i bought a couple of months ago. i am very impressed with this helmet and would recommend it to anyone(just hold onto your wallet, shes pricey) great helmet!

They are a funky looking helmet, but I've heard lots of good things about them. If the contacts don't work out for me I may have to get one of those bv2s helmets. I really like the fxr torque with the electric shield. It combines and moto x helmet and a normal full face with an electric shield. I think what I like about the moto x style helmet is they seem to have a wider view and I really like the visor for blocking the sun or roost. I think the contacts will work for me though. They get more and more comfortable every time I wear them.

Really sounds like you suffer from hot head & need to reduce your internal temp for glasses just too much headsweat being generated or your body moisture is leeching up under your chin into your helmet. Contacts wiil help you a lot or simply chill down a bit. I cut some tog elders from trail on Friday maybe 7F or so ...I got heated up took me hours & lots of venting to get my internal temp down again but once adjusted no more glasses fogging....I use fog zero paste & brp mod 1. For me ,yes, Fog zero helps a lot but it is all about the body temp & that is up to me to regulate & I have lots of zipper vents & use them.

You may be right about the body temp being the cause. Some people have problems with their glasses fogging and others don't. So having different temps may why. I'm fairly warm blooded I guess. I'll be wearing a t shirt while others are wearing sweatshirts. Which would make sense why I' having problems with glasses. I also think there is some moisture getting up through from my breath, but I can't get a good enough seal to stop it completely. It's not much, but in cold temps it doesn't take much. Hopefully the contacts work and I wont have to worry about it. If not I may look into the bv2s helmet everyone is talking about.

My wife wears the cheapest HJC full face with heated shield. No breath guard. No fogging of her glasses. Go figure.

I bought the newest HJC this year and it leaked so bad my face was wind burnt after 1 ride!!!!!!!!! I traded it back in for a new GMAXX modular. I have never owned a GMAXX before and thought them to be on the low end of the scale. Let me tell you it is one of the best helmets I have ever owned!!!! No leaks. Comfortable. I tend to fight helmets as the ten I have in the closet will attest. The only complaint may be the chin bar it hard to latch--maybe that's why is doesn't leak? I am VERY happy so far with this new sno-mo lid.

That's good to know those GMax helmets are that good considering they are very reasonably priced. I almost bought the GMax moto x helmet with the e shield ( I forget the model ) , but I liked the looks of the FXR a little more so that's what I went with.

I brought the Yamaha modular helmet with a heated visor and I love it, it has a built in tinted lense that comes down with the hit of a button for those sunny days, but I must admit the cord can be a pain from time to time. I have found that wedging it under the edge of the gas cap just right leaves enough on the handle bar end for turning left and right and then also leaves enough at the end of the cord towards the helmet to give you the ability to move left and right along with standing up so there are a few tricks that improve the cord issue. It's just extremely nice to have a heated visor for all types of snow conditions, including freezing drizzle from time to time. Some day I may try the helmet/goggle set up though just to see how that may work for the warmer days. Just like the saying goes to each his own...........

Depends on how things fit your face I find. I've been using the Doo modular 2 for 2 years now, cord AND fog free. But as others mentioned won't do jack for freezing rain. Don't get that warm here so no worries for me.

Go to a couple shops and try stuff on! You owe it to yourself to check out doo helmets! Good luck!

I bought the newest HJC this year and it leaked so bad my face was wind burnt after 1 ride!!!!!!!!! I traded it back in for a new GMAXX modular. I have never owned a GMAXX before and thought them to be on the low end of the scale. Let me tell you it is one of the best helmets I have ever owned!!!! No leaks. Comfortable. I tend to fight helmets as the ten I have in the closet will attest. The only complaint may be the chin bar it hard to latch--maybe that's why is doesn't leak? I am VERY happy so far with this new sno-mo lid.

I had the same thing happen. It was a HJC Cs-R2.. I blocked every vent inside behind the protection panels. Still froze. I sold it after a few rides. I went back to my old IS -16 (the one that has sun shield). Even with that one I had to block all the vents inside. I use the Katahdin Balcalva that helps block neck area. But that Is-16 is much much better in the cold. The best HJC I've owned was a CS-10..my son took it. Looking for one on Ebay but none have come up.

What temps are you riding in? i am newer cold and i can ride in my open alpine helmet. i do ride in temps down to -30celsius(86farenheit)

I've gotten down to -15 F this winter. But high speed trails here. Constant speed of 45 mph at times. Got to slow down to 28 mph to continue riding long distance. That's like some here I bet but for me it's a challange at this point with the cheap gear I have. Now if I have a blank check at FXR..Ha..

ok, i didn't think about the speed you drive in. Here is no trails so the average speed is low, only boon docking and climbing for me:)

After riding for a couple of days I'm just updating how the contacts are working for me. It takes a little time to get them in still, but once their in they feel fine. For riding I love them so far. Its been so nice not dealing with glasses when I'm out ridin'. I do bring my glasses with me in case I need them. I've only been on two rides, but so far I'm very happy.

When I bought a new helmet, all I knew was full faced with electric shield. I ended up with a HJC IS-16, which is really nice and I do like it a lot. However, when I was offered a really great deal on a 509 set up when they were relatively new to the market (at least I had never heard of them before), I jumped at it. I had wanted to try the open face with goggles set up for a while to relieve some weight on my neck.

The most noticeable thing to me was the amount of weight on my neck between the two styles of helmets. My 509 is waaay lighter than my HJC. Since I already have back and neck problems, I use the 509 stuff 80% of the time. the HJC cuts the wind much better, the 509 has the visor that catches a decent amount of air.Ill break out the HJC when it gets really cold (below 0F).

I have gone out riding in -10F with my 509 gear, and I didn't get any noticeable air leaks or face freeze. I don't have any issues with fogging as long as Im moving, it only takes a few seconds after moving to clear out any fog in the goggles (like 20 yards or less). I also noticed that the light droning at cruising speeds was particular to my HJC helmet, I don't have any droning in my 509 stuff. Either one Im using for the day, I use the Klim covert balaclava with a turtle fleece collar underneath with good success.

Back