• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many Apex owners think they want upgrade to Sidewinder?

I will never be without my 14 XTX. All time favorite sled and it is not even close. I may add a SideWinder in 18 unless there is a new Apex then but I am keeping my XTX as well.

I will never be without my 14 XTX. All time favorite sled and it is not even close. I may add a SideWinder in 18 unless there is a new Apex then but I am keeping my XTX as well.

Ya I really like my 2011 Apex. 10,000 miles 0 issues, all the years that Apex owners asked for things to be fixed and in 2011 they where. Can't see myself going to another sled unless it is the equal or better then this one. The Winder for sure will be faster and quicker with a supposed 50 plus hp more but its still in the procross chassis and its not a Apex engine. If I wanted a turbo I would have put one on a Apex. With the Winder and T-Cat coming in at 19 and a half the Apex looks better with a longer trail track for much less dollars.

Ya I really like my 2011 Apex. 10,000 miles 0 issues, all the years that Apex owners asked for things to be fixed and in 2011 they where. Can't see myself going to another sled unless it is the equal or better then this one. The Winder for sure will be faster and quicker with a supposed 50 plus hp more but its still in the procross chassis and its not a Apex engine. If I wanted a turbo I would have put one on a Apex. With the Winder and T-Cat coming in at 19 and a half the Apex looks better with a longer trail track for much less dollars.
What's up brother. You and FrostyNutz were the reason I bought an XTX . Thank you . The sled flat out rocks. I have 8700 miles in 3 seasons of riding and you guessed it ,0 issues

Last edited:
What's up brother. You and FrostyNutz were the reason I bought an XTX . Thank you . The sled flat out rocks. I have 8700 miles in 3 seasons of riding ,with you guessed it ,0 issues

It is one fine sled! No regrets and with Yamaha becoming an engine builder only I think I will keep it forever.

It is one fine sled! No regrets and with Yamaha becoming an engine builder only I think I will keep it forever.
Is anyone aware whether Yamaha in Japan actually builds the complete sled from the ground up , or weather they have sub contractors that assemble the frame , and provide other preassembled parts ?
So what we do know is that they outsource , the track , the skis , the ...... , and so on , and so on .
So really for the most part , they design , spec parts , and assemble .
What are the most critical 2 of those 3 components ?
Design and spec parts !
What would you say to TRF doing just the assembly ? or even one of the existing car manufacturers , in North America ?
Would it be a Yamaha ?
Hell Ya !
What other motorsport vehicles are they building in NA ?
Golf carts, boats , what else ?
I know the AC chassis , is an AC chassis , but it is a pretty damn good one . Better than they, thought in the short term they were capable of producing , or had in their own stable .
Not the best , but better than what we had.
Certainly better than the Apex , and I love my Apex .
Just curious , if you sold your current sled which of these 2 sleds would you buy ?
Would you buy the current SWchassis with the Genesis 4 Apex engine , with Yamaha clutches , or the SW 998 3 holer turbo engine in the current apex chassis ?
Yamaha is not just an engine builder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a Yamaha believer , and I believe that when they tell me the SW is the best it gets today , I believe . And I want the best today !
And tomorrow will take care of its self .

["Sledroll, post: 1295180, member: 3778"]
Is anyone aware whether Yamaha in Japan actually builds the complete sled from the ground up , or weather they have sub contractors that assemble the frame , and provide other preassembled parts ?
So what we do know is that they outsource , the track , the skis , the ...... , and so on , and so on .
So really for the most part , they design , spec parts , and assemble .
What are the most critical 2 of those 3 components ?
Design and spec parts !
What would you say to TRF doing just the assembly ? or even one of the existing car manufacturers , in North America ?
Would it be a Yamaha ?

So IMHO it would be a Cat unless Cat did not get the sled in anyway shape or form. Yamaha is not designing said current chassis, Cat is designing said current chassis. Yamaha has designed the plastic on the Winder, T Cat ZR and any other sled with the new motor and did a great job. Is it to much to ask for a Yamaha that is separate from the Cat so that other then a Yamaha sticker there is something to differentiate the two brands. What there is now is a whole lineup of Cats and some have Yamaha motors with Yamaha stickers. Now lets say that Yamaha had Cat build a whole new chassis based on Yamaha specs with Yamaha quality with Yamaha strength and with a Yamaha motor and drive train for them only, now you have a Yamaha.

I know the AC chassis , is an AC chassis , but it is a pretty damn good one . Better than they, thought in the short term they were capable of producing , or had in their own stable .
Not the best , but better than what we had.
Certainly better than the Apex , and I love my Apex .

Now better then the Apex is in your opinion, your opinion does not necessarily reflect mine. I think the Apex is the best groomed trail sled there is. There is of course better sleds in other peoples minds I ride with a few who love Doos or Cats and think they are the best. I think the Apex got a bad rap from those buying one for the wrong reasons.

Just curious , if you sold your current sled which of these 2 sleds would you buy ?
Would you buy the current SWchassis with the Genesis 4 Apex engine , with Yamaha clutches , or the SW 998 3 holer turbo engine in the current apex chassis ?

The Sidewinder chassis is the Viper chassis which is the Cat chassis. I'd not buy either and continue to ride my Apex or buy a newer one. Now if Yamaha builds a Yamaha chassis and puts the Apex motor and drive train in it (see above) I'd think of that as an upgrade to what I have.

Yamaha is not just an engine builder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not yet but in all the years since 2011 they came up with a turbo motor, shoe horned a motor in a Cat chassis and designed an air suspension. Not one new Yamaha sled so far!

I am a Yamaha believer , and I believe that when they tell me the SW is the best it gets today , I believe . And I want the best today !
And tomorrow will take care of its self .

"Blue koolaid tastes great" I have the best Yamaha sled built and am waiting for better. Yamaha can and did build great sleds maybe they still can tomorrow will tell, cause to me letting cat build your sleds while you sell motors is becoming a engine builder while giving part of your thunder to to the competition! Oh wait Cat has the Thunder! Sidewinder is a Snake that pussy foots across the desert sideways while lifting most of its body off the hot sand always cycling through its body that touches the sand so as to give parts of it a break from the heat and was my CB handle for many years. I thought Sidewinders where cool and also think the Yamaha naming one a Sidewinder is cool. I thought of using it as my TY handle but Sasquatch won out. This is XM1167 one Sidewinder signing off catch ya on the flip flop!

Last edited:
I do love my Apex as this is my third one, however, the C.K skid is by far the worst riding suspension in the market. Yamaha has to spend the time in designing a totally new suspension that will be as good if not better than the R-motion. Apparently the "new" slingshot suspension isn't really much of an improvement! I love the handling & brute power of my sled but even after installing the star suspension kit & re-valving the center shock, it CAN NOT compare to all the other brands especially in the studder bumps!!!!!

I do love my Apex as this is my third one, however, the C.K skid is by far the worst riding suspension in the market. Yamaha has to spend the time in designing a totally new suspension that will be as good if not better than the R-motion. Apparently the "new" slingshot suspension isn't really much of an improvement! I love the handling & brute power of my sled but even after installing the star suspension kit & re-valving the center shock, it CAN NOT compare to all the other brands especially in the studder bumps!!!!!
I have to disagree, CK is by far the best suspension in the market today, IMO

The star helps but I will agree there are better suspensions. Having said that the CK with the star works well. Never rode the slingshot but I worry about air suspension and the longer foot print.

Nope... Staying with and happy with my Apex. Got it the way I like for years now and there is no way I can justify 15,000-17.000 grand for a sled. The sport is getting too expensive as it is and I am at a point in life where I"could " buy one but won't.
X2 on the could but won't, I'll have the house paid off in August. Zero on the credit cards and no kids. So no debt for me. The wife gave me the green light to order a new SW but I'll pass. I can't justify shelling out 15 grand+. Considering I only rode 6 days in the U.P. for 1,400 miles! And besides, at 15,000 miles she's just getting ""BROKE IN ""! ;)!

X2 on the could but won't, I'll have the house paid off in August. Zero on the credit cards and no kids. So no debt for me. The wife gave me the green light to order a new SW but I'll pass. I can't justify shelling out 15 grand+. Considering I only rode 6 days in the U.P. for 1,400 miles! And besides, at 15,000 miles she's just getting ""BROKE IN ""! ;)!

And that sums it up in a nutshell! With only 10,000 miles on mine with no work done to it other then service it, its good for 10,000 more with ease.

Reading the latest American Snowmobiler it was mentioned several times about the Yamaha & AC contracted being extended another year. So I hope by reading between the lines that this isn't a long term arrangement.

Reading the latest American Snowmobiler it was mentioned several times about the Yamaha & AC contracted being extended another year. So I hope by reading between the lines that this isn't a long term arrangement.

It has been rumored another 6 years. This agreement is not going away anytime soon. And now that AC has the most powerful stock engine in one of their sleds, their customers will not allow it to end either. You can already see the Ditch Pickle faithful on Arctic Chat blowing about the 2017 9000 series of sleds. There is way more chatter about all the other 9000 models with the 998t engine in it. The Thundercat is the tip of the iceberg. My local AC dealer went to the dealer show in Vegas, and there was not a one of them that was not excited about taking orders on 9000 models and even swapping out their personal steed for the first crate to roll in from TRF.

They are no longer just getting a midline model, their flagship has blue-blood. The real indication is when we see the transition in the UP again this next winter. It used to be all Apex's as the trail rocket of choice. Then the 1100 Turbos really replaced many. It was surprising, but folks wanted the most HP stock. I think we will see a strong mix of 9000 and Sidewinders this next year.

As a rider of the Yamacat or Catmaha 2015 viper for 2 years and prior to that nearly 20 years on Yamaha and over 40 thousand miles- I hope the relationship DOES continue.

I think we forget the first years or early experience with our beloved APEX - had an 06 GT for 6+ years and 12+K miles and lived it and loved the sled but no less issues than the early VIPER, the Nytro guys and posts will tell you the same, similar to the modern early Phazer.

Yamaha engines /drive train on a great Chassis as well as influence on build process is an advantage in my book. Would not trade my VIPER for a same age / mileage APEX. May buy another APEX someday but I would not give up the VIPER. my 2 cents

Back