• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RA cable :(

Budweiser

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Do these break in everyone else's sleds??? I have already replaced 3. I got my Monoshock revalved and a heavier spring in it and I could still bottom it on big whoops. I finally thawed the sled out and found the cable broke. Who knows where it was set at when it broke. I took the cable off and filled the ends with blue RTV to avoid contamination. I think I can unscrew the broken cable end and adjust with a small screwdriver on the trail but not sure how much snow and ice will be in there.

This was pretty much a vent post!!! Good idea Yamaha but poor design. :

Bud what year is the sled I have an 06 Rage and have had no problems (So far) I do believe Bullet is right Yamaha has an update for the 05 Monos. Check with your Dealer get this taken care so you can enjoy your sled.

;)!

You need to make sure the hard black plastic slider is installed. Part number is 8FU-47441-10-00. Yamaha started putting these on '06 model sleds, dealer should have done it as an update the first time your cable broke.

The cable broke on my '06 Rage also and it has the plastic slider on there too. Yamaha warantied it but I have not replaced it yet. I am going to put a plactic fuel line over it when I replace it to help support it.

Same thing here, mine broke on my 06 Apex under warranty & just two weeks ago on my 07 Attak & Swiss Sleders 07 Attak. :o| Whats up with that? I hope that every time the temperature drops below -25c and the sled is really iced up that this cable doesnt break.

Tore mine out of an '06 Vector GT this season. Blame it on not getting the nut tight on the shock, after powder coating the suspension, since the cable was intact with the nut still on it. Unfortunately it did rip up the cheap rubber sheath while it was bouncing around under there. I rebuilt it using a piece of VW Beetle speedometer cable housing (exactly the right diameters inside and out). The Bug one is constructed of a spiral-wound stainless steel wire covered with a thin plastic skin so it should not shred like original. This piece is a bit stiffer then the original Yamaha one but bends enough to attach easily. We'll see if it causes any issues over time. It's been under there for about 100 miles already. As bad as conditions are in Western New York it won't take long to stress test it, if we get any more snow, so I should check it today. I did buy a new bare cable to have on hand, just in case!

i'm on my 3rd one in three years, i've taken it to 3 different dealers so far, and it still breaks. so far so good this season, but i'm sure it'll break again

In 06 both our cables were damaged, dealer warrenteed every thing.
I felt it was that the plastic slider wore a bit and then tips of the track guide clips were able to cut the cable protective sheath. I ground off all the track clip tips down to the rubber drive lugs on the left side of the track. Although I had all new stuff, I rebuilt the protective sheath with a piece of plastic tube that does not get glass hard in the cold. Since then , no more trouble.

Funny part to the story(or sad depending on your view) is the dealer told me Yamaha said the cable was breaking because of ice. They stated it was meant for riding in snow. Who here hasn't had ice build up under the suspension even when riding in two foot of fresh powder!! I had the second dealer who has worked on this problem put the slider in after the fifth cable broke. So far so good, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

They seem to break on sleds that have ridden all day and loaded up of snow that melts and turns to ice over night or parked for a prolong time, this ice builds up gets frozen up between track and cable and as soon as that track starts spinning BOOM their goes the cable!

With this said I always lift the rear and drop it a couple of times and BACK/REVERSE my sled after a prolonged STOP to spit out or deloge the ice build up, so far so good, had a '05 for 3 years with no issues with 11.000kms and now a '08 with 4000kms.

Back