• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

This may save your Nytro motor..

SSX600 said:
Got my kid plate today looks awesome should PROTECT the bottom of my sled like it was designed to do unlike the stock plate. I am going to install it tommorrow will let you know how it fits.

Keep us posted. Install instructions are on the website. Call me if you have any questions.

I got a Roest skid plate and due to having a 08 sub frame I don't like the idea of drilling 4-1/2" holes in a already weak sub frame and using rubber nuts I am still running my stock junker. I will be building my own and have it come up farther in front as well. I did not like the idea of drilling that big of holes and the fact that it does not come up very far if I did catch the front of this plate it was going to do allot more damage when I rip it off that a plastic one. Great product just a couple things that leave me with a $180 piece of aluminum.

Got the skid plate on today the installation went great. Looks Good and has to be much better than the stock one. I also had concerns about drilling 4-1/2" holes in my sub-frame but mine has the reinforcement plate in it so shouldn't be a problem. I am going to make some spacers so the 2 bolts you drill thru the reinforcement plate will be doin something. I did notice that I had water in my sub-frame which over time can't be good. Great Product!!!! Very Happy with the quality and the instructions. Thanks

rlcofmn said:
I got a Roest skid plate and due to having a 08 sub frame I don't like the idea of drilling 4-1/2" holes in a already weak sub frame and using rubber nuts I am still running my stock junker. I will be building my own and have it come up farther in front as well. I did not like the idea of drilling that big of holes and the fact that it does not come up very far if I did catch the front of this plate it was going to do allot more damage when I rip it off that a plastic one. Great product just a couple things that leave me with a $180 piece of aluminum.

When the skid plate is installed, the front of it is tucked underneath the front nose piece plastic. It comes flush with the forward edge of the forward frame tube so if someone wanted to they could drill two holes and fasten the two together with bolts and rivnuts. Not necessary IMO but the option is there. The skid plate was designed to be functional and fit every Nytro out there regardless of bumper style etc. I also wanted it to be easy to install and remove, while offering superior protection. As for the forward mounting, I have been using the 4 outer mounting holes on a 09 MTX since new with no problemsjust to prove it works well. The rubber well nuts work great. The 2 inner holes were added later because some people were concerned with drilling holes in their frame tubes. The 2 inner holes allow the skid plate to be fastened to the 09 and up subframe gusset plate. The inner hole fastening method can be used on an 08 (ungusseted) subframe as well if you use a piece of flat bar over the frametubes with longer fasteners.

If I did not see any better way to do it I would be satisfied but my question is what would be wrong with bringing it up to the nose mount bolt? you could use a factory non structural mounting point and continue it up farther to eliminate the chance of hitting the front of it. I do try to break my sled every time I ride it short of stumps and rocks if I can avoid them and the front mounting just isn't up to par for what I would like to see on my sled.

I also want to make sure people don't think I'm trying to bash you or your product, Thats the last thing I want to do to a avid forum member, rider and someone trying to fix one of the many things Yamaha dropped the ball on. But I also think its worth saying why It doesn't work for me.

I will give it one more look if I can Attach the front solid to the bar your talking about then I'll run it and more than likely be 100% happy with it. I just don't want any chance in being able to pull the front of it down by hitting something.

Nitrousman1 said:
Glad to see I may have helped a few people save their motors. I've been told the Yamaha filter is a little shorter which would help with clearance but it's still a bad design with that bar placed right underneath it. My sled had the oil changed by the previous owner and had an aftermarket filter so when I bought a new filter it was the same exact size as what I removed. The replacement filter lists as the OEM equivalent so why would their be a difference in size? Oh well, my insurance paid out but it wasn't as much as I had in the sled but at least I got something.

The stock filter I measured was 2" tall. I am running an aftermarket that is 2.75" tall. Still a bad design on Yamahas part for putting the stiffeners where they did, let alone the totally inadequate "protector" plate.

Wow, this is the first I see of this thread, took forever to read. I've gone through many steps people here have spoke of. Originally on my stock 08 Nytro, I got so much snow inside the engine compartment that it blew my belly pan right off, lost in the snow on a lake, never found. I had that warrantied, and they replaced the stock plastic push pins with nuts and bolts to hold it on there better. Then I purchased the Yamaha Floatation Plate, which also ended up falling off because of ice buildup between the belly pan and the Floatation Plate. Ended up getting my money back for it as well. So I gave up at that point wit the whole skid plate idea, but had no idea anyone's stock belly pans were smoking the oil pans and oil filters. I've got over 10,000 km's on one Nytro and around 5000 km's on another one. I honestly can't recall if my filters or oil pan had any marks on them, or if the belly pan had a groove in it from contacting anything. I'll have to rip it all off and look I guess. dammit, I just had it all off for an oil change!

I like the idea of the belly pan being offered here. I'll have to some some cash for them.

I've run over stuff with the plastic belly pan, been lucky I guess. One of them actually bows downward from the ice buildup inside the engine bay, so that would likely keep it further away from the filter/oil pan.

On a side note, i'm one of the guys that left the o-ring on the engine and installed a new filter over it, was riding and lost oil pressure. I'll have to view the video of that day to recall exactly what happened, whether the sensors worked, etc. I do recall code 30.

My oil filter was dented pretty bad, glad I checked. Installed Yamaha oil filter 5DM-13440-00. Its shorter and provides lots of clearance.

:rocks:

My oil filter part number is 5DM-13440-00. It looks noticably smaller. But i'm not real sure. I have to take a look at the one i had before. I know the box before was red. and this one is blue. I wonder if its the rigfht one

I had a similar issue where my crankcase cracked and leaked all the oil out. I had no power to the igniton and assumed it tripped a safety of some sort. to make a long story short my kill switch broke and jammed closed when i flipped it. I didn't know this at the time and told my dealer that i wasn't sure if the engine was still good. when i went to go see him he had the sled running with no oil in the tank! He claims it is fine but i am very worried. especially because it is supercharged!

I think people need to take care when they drive. If there is not enough snow then take it easy and don't drive like a retard. If you tag something then look over your sled and see what all got damaged and make needed repairs. I don't belive any skid plate will help much if you hit something hard enough to bend the supports. Do people out there do a pretrip?

I do pretrips all the time, thats when I find most of my problems. Checking the oil filter for dents wasn't on the list with still having a 2-smoke mind set. Still a poor design, but acceptable now with the shorter filter and new skid plate.

Back