• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Mountain sleds

Progression is the name of the game in our sport. For instance, look back just 10 years ago, the first rx1 came out, the poo boys were riding edges(me too), doo was in the first year of the rev and the cat boys didnt know what they were doing. My point is that yamaha has made some minor changes here and there while the others have taken leaps and bounds to the next level. Yeah the apex was a nice upgrade but really it was just fuel injection and a steering post on the other side of the hoop. The nytro is better but still lacks that aww inspiring feel when you ride it stock or even modified. Yeah it works great when its deep and feels effortless but they all do when its nuts deep. What happens when its sets up a little and the trees get tight and your trying to cut a sidehill, it gets real hard real quick on a nytro. I like where yamaha is going dont get me wrong, i just hate how long it is taking them to get there. Like i said before, im a yamaha employee and it kills me to say this but they may be paying me to ride someone elses sled next year.

I like where yamaha is going dont get me wrong, i just hate how long it is taking them to get there.

This about sums it up for me. Even if I bought a 2012 Cat, I'd go back to yamaha as soon as they brought out a better mountain sled. The reliability and build quality can't be beat. That being said, the only 2-stroke sled I'd even consider buying would be an Arctic Cat 800.

What I was really hoping for was a freeride/assault/HCR type sled.

An XTX SE or something. Beefed up 144 rails with a killer shox package, SE post, detachable sway bar, MTN skis and a backcountry track. That would be the perfect sled for me!

Nikolai said:
I like where yamaha is going dont get me wrong, i just hate how long it is taking them to get there.

This about sums it up for me. Even if I bought a 2012 Cat, I'd go back to yamaha as soon as they brought out a better mountain sled. The reliability and build quality can't be beat. That being said, the only 2-stroke sled I'd even consider buying would be an Arctic Cat 800.

I can't believe you dont want a freeride 146. That would be the perfect sled for what you do. Beefy tunnel! Great Shocks!! and the best 2 stroke motor ever!!!!! I love mine. After selling my nytro i didn't know what i was going to do and then i lucked into a summit x 146 etec and it is so awesome!!!! You need a 2012 Freeride 146!!!!!

swelly said:
Funny how the other guys are selling a Freeride style sled, and selling fairly well. Hmm are you listening Yamaha?

I wish they were!

I'm guessing since they don't put a ton of effort into pleasing mountain riders in general the mountain riders in search of jumps and drops are going to get even less attention. :o|

HYFLYR said:
The nytro is better but still lacks that aww inspiring feel when you ride it stock or even modified. Yeah it works great when its deep and feels effortless but they all do when its nuts deep. What happens when its sets up a little and the trees get tight and your trying to cut a sidehill, it gets real hard real quick on a nytro.
That is a pretty good summary of my impressions as well...

Here is an interesting pic...

montana20242.jpg

Nice green sled. It looks a lot better than the old ones.
But the handlebar seems to be a little low for a mountain ... And hope that not handles like the Z1 turbo extended ... Last year i had a very quick testride but if the nytro is a pig that one was an elephant

Let see what the Articat anniversary will bring us :)

well, I have it on VERY good word...it is lighter than Nytro...and from people who have ridden them (yes Wolf where we were going to take you) it is VERY similar ride to M sled...

Much lower center of Gravity...and yes, this is a flatlander sled (short track) but there is a mountain version also...

tylerj907 said:
Nikolai said:

I can't believe you dont want a freeride 146. That would be the perfect sled for what you do. Beefy tunnel! Great Shocks!! and the best 2 stroke motor ever!!!!! I love mine. After selling my nytro i didn't know what i was going to do and then i lucked into a summit x 146 etec and it is so awesome!!!! You need a 2012 Freeride 146!!!!!

XP's just don't fit me well but I haven't been on a 2011 to see how the newer ones handle. Plus the Freeride weighs over 480 lbs, but I guess durability has to have a weight penalty.

mtdream said:
well, I have it on VERY good word...it is lighter than Nytro...and from people who have ridden them (yes Wolf where we were going to take you) it is VERY similar ride to M sled...

Much lower center of Gravity...and yes, this is a flatlander sled (short track) but there is a mountain version also...

I'll take a 1100 turbo in a 141" sno pro! I've never had a cat, all the more reason to try one. Thanks for posting the pic!!

Back