• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014-2015 Yellowknife Mileage Log

YK - you've probably tried this and others likely suggested but have you tried to not use the block heater? Maybe it's messing up the sensor readings?

YK - you've probably tried this and others likely suggested but have you tried to not use the block heater? Maybe it's messing up the sensor readings?

I have, but, I think I need to again - particularly around the temperatures that the unit should start without being plugged in. There's a video from last year where the mechanic hooks the battery up to a large booster pack and cranks the hell out of the starter at -38 C without being plugged in and after a minute of trying the sled fires up.

I will give that some more testing.

Yeah, a snow-bungee Rattler. They have been a lifesaver for our group. You guys are still pretty young, but someday you will be glad to have one.

Here's a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGquuRytWtE

ahaha yeah, we had one, we broke it (big surprise we break everything) but I have the parts to make a home made one - just haven't done it. I should dig them up over xmas and do it.

I have, but, I think I need to again - particularly around the temperatures that the unit should start without being plugged in. There's a video from last year where the mechanic hooks the battery up to a large booster pack and cranks the hell out of the starter at -38 C without being plugged in and after a minute of trying the sled fires up.

I will give that some more testing.

Do you have a heater pad under/around your battery?

Do you have a heater pad under/around your battery?

I have a heater pad between the fuel tank and the battery. It isn't a warp around type, just a pad on one side. When I plug the cord in on my sled, it circulates a coolant heater, warms the battery pad, and charges the battery via a trickle charger. My nytro's only have the coolant heater and that's always been good enough.

I have a heater pad between the fuel tank and the battery. It isn't a warp around type, just a pad on one side. When I plug the cord in on my sled, it circulates a coolant heater, warms the battery pad, and charges the battery via a trickle charger. My nytro's only have the coolant heater and that's always been good enough.

Your Nytro's are EFI? And the coolant heater doesn't bother them? hmmmmm...

That's a long run for the battery cable on the Viper. Never looked at a Viper but increasing the gage size on the + wire will certainly help you. I don't think I want to get too close to a Viper..even to look. Bad luck rubs off on me pretty easily!!! LOL!

Your Nytro's are EFI? And the coolant heater doesn't bother them? hmmmmm...

That's a long run for the battery cable on the Viper. Never looked at a Viper but increasing the gage size on the + wire will certainly help you. I don't think I want to get too close to a Viper..even to look. Bad luck rubs off on me pretty easily!!! LOL!

Yeah the Nytro's have always been favourable of the coolant heater, the Phazer loved it. Made a world of difference. I think mitsubishi is just superior to synerject. I also think having the battery outside of the engine compartment sucks for cold weather users. You mention the cable length, and the battery also doesn't get to warm up during the charging process when the sled is running because it sits in cold air for the duration of operation, unlike my Nytro's/Phazer which get up to room temperature inside the engine compartment with all that heat in there. I got 7 years out of the Phazer's battery.

Anyway, I think a 600 e-tec is taking the lead in what i'd like in the future...

Anyway, I think a 600 e-tec is taking the lead in what i'd like in the future...

Bold statement on a Yamaha forum, but true statement. There is a reason they've been #1 since the coming of snow and will be in the future. The number 3 and 4 manufactures are too busy butting heads and pointing fingers to resolve issues quick enough. Just talk to your dealer, nobody knows nothing. I don't own a doo but can find out anything from my local doo dealer, maybe he just wants my business..maybe he'll get it, dunno!!!

a guy I ride with a 600 etec renegade. Nice sled and super light. Just doesn't have that "make you smile" feeling when you punch it. It's at the magical 6000 kms mark, so we will see what happens this year

Bold statement on a Yamaha forum, but true statement. There is a reason they've been #1 since the coming of snow and will be in the future. The number 3 and 4 manufactures are too busy butting heads and pointing fingers to resolve issues quick enough. Just talk to your dealer, nobody knows nothing. I don't own a doo but can find out anything from my local doo dealer, maybe he just wants my business..maybe he'll get it, dunno!!!

Keep in mind ;-) I say the ski-doo comment for a host of reasons that stretch about 14 years... Many think I'm brand loyal because I've owned Yamaha sleds since 2006, but I like them all (except Arctic Cat since the bearcat experience - though I know first hand a great dealer makes all the difference)

At the end of the day when it's time to put coin down on a new unit, for me it's all about;

1. Who has a product that best suites my riding style?
2. What manufacturer has the best dealer in my area to back up the product?
3. What dealer has the best manufacturer to back up the customer?

That dealer/manufacturer/customer relationship has been key to my ability to stay on the snow over the years with my Yamaha products.

After that I weigh in the famous Yamaha slogan of quality, durability, reliability. Moving forward after 9 years on 4 strokes, i'll always be weighing (no pun intended) heavily into handling and wind protection.

Between all my two strokes and 4 strokes, and 14 years of beating the hell outta both, I've concluded that i'm willing to give up some engine durability in order to get better handling. A lighter sled, simply put is more fun to ride for my style, and I don't anticipate Yamaha offering a product to fit that bill for the 2016 production year - but here's hoping!

How about this for your battery WHILE the sled is running?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Flexible-Block-Heater-Hot-Pad-12v-70watt-/400810797648

I see a 600 Etech in your future.......

LOL - you do, do you? ;-)

OK, here's the next Episode: 2015 Snowmobile Season: Episode Three: Bearcat Returns

Video Description: Riding out to the wall tent, revealing what's in the black pelican case, ice fishing at night, the mess inside the wall tent, a furry visitor comes to the wall tent that isn't Andrew Pacey, a day ride breaking trail with Charles and Doug, erratic idling and steam issues on the Viper, riding through Yellow Dog Lodge, Allan wipes out with the Viper, the Viper 'on fire', a sticky throttle on the power auger, the Bearcat returns for ice fishing along with Charles and Nate, traditional Bearcat antics, the Axys blows another capacitor, a more organized view of the wall tent after final setup is complete.

Cheers,

YK

Back