• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ddm hid lights

FILE0051.jpg
this was a video, but i dont know how to put a video in here.

Hi all I have just been waiting to see how things would work out and finally saw tracking # update and as of nov 1 lights are in Jamaica New York

The next issue with any HID system is the stock reflector system and all the stray light shining everywhere. Most pods aren't really designed for it, and this can really blind oncoming drivers. You might think your cool and bright, but your fellow sledder might hate you for this. HID projectors is where its gonna be. Consentrated directed as they are designed and intended for. Most of the auto industry has already switched over. Even utilizing lower wattage led projectors, rather the old standard Hid.

The next issue with any HID system is the stock reflector system and all the stray light shining everywhere. Most pods aren't really designed for it, and this can really blind oncoming drivers. You might think your cool and bright, but your fellow sledder might hate you for this. HID projectors is where its gonna be. Consentrated directed as they are designed and intended for. Most of the auto industry has already switched over. Even utilizing lower wattage led projectors, rather the old standard Hid.

Even though I always ride with my dims on you are correct. It is kind of blinding.

Update so after 11 business days I have received lights. Now install begins. I not really thinking I will look cool on trail or off trial for that matter. I got lights for better visibility, however I check to see how sledders coming at me get blinded or not.

Any questions just ask, I installed mine per grizz's instructions. Only issue I had was ends on ground wires had to be honed out ever so slightly to fit over studs on steering post.

Update so after 11 business days I have received lights. Now install begins. I not really thinking I will look cool on trail or off trial for that matter. I got lights for better visibility, however I check to see how sledders coming at me get blinded or not.

That's why I got mine, I do a lot of night riding and want to see way better than what the stock lights provide. It's not that bad for oncoming traffic. Just try and be respectful. But they are night and day different! You will like them!

Honestly, the whole I could see you a mile away and it hurt my eyes argument doesn't really bother me. I say great, you should have plenty of time to react.

HID's are far safer during the day. For traffic in both directions.
HID's are far safer during the night. For traffic in both directions.

If you can't handle oncoming lights (as rarely as we see them at night out on the sled trails), well, I hope you don't have a license and drive on the roads.

I wish everyone was running them, there would be a lot less accidents and fatalities in our sport.

As far as being cool goes, seriously? If you need some pretty lights to feel cool, hang some neon on your running boards and a disco ball on your dash - that should do it for you. Aren't those the guys you always see posing next to their sleds?

Good bad or indifferent many time we go faster on our sleds than we ever do in our cars. We also do it 6" from trees in many cases and with much more restricted views. Seems like the sleds should have way more light than they typically come with stock. Hopefully the manufacturers will catch up.

Everybody squinting and dodging each other six inches from trees is much safer, GREAT IDEA! Somebody clearly missed my point about the stray light and the stock headlight pod not being design to handle the output of most HID systems properly. There is a reason I am dumping the standard HID for a projector and it is safety. I regularly drive at night on the roads also, and it is evident who runs a oem designed hid system and the hillbilly who threw one on. Would anyone notice your RideLite if they are primarily looking past you? I'm not here to condone anyone for doing what they choose to do, just merely pointing out my observations of having tried this. Yes its much brighter and absolutely "who cares awesome" for off trail riding. I spent more than a couple hrs pointing and tuning for trail riding and still most riders I met, even myself with the wife riding the sled it still wasn't right, better but not good enough. There is a reason cops are busting people with aftermarket light kits on automobiles, but there is no regulation for offroad vehicles..just mutual respect I guess. Back on topic though DDM is a quality product.

And someone missed my point. No worries. It has nothing to do with being cool (at least for me and the group I ride with), it is about being safer with what we have to work with. And yes I do hope you see me coming from as far off as possible especially during the day.

So do you think HID's in snowmobiles are causing more accidents and fatalities and not reducing them? Really? Our Fish & Game dept (they manage off road vehicles) had a very lengthy report about trail collisions and the largest contributing factor to head on collisions was not seeing the oncoming traffic in enough time to avoid the collision. From the report I gathered that the further off oncoming traffic can see you the safer it is for both of you. Are you saying the squinting is causing more accidents?

Comparing trail riding in the woods to driving a car on populated smooth tar roads is ridiculous. Unless your snowmobile lights (regardless of the type) are pointed directly at the ground oncoming riders are going to get them in the eyes. At least half of the very few people we see at night use them and they are bright no argument there. So bright in fact we usually slow down during the pass. Is that a bad thing?

I have not ever had a single complaint about the HID's out on the trails (going on 10 years using them now), in fact more often than not people are asking how they can get them.

HID's are the topic of the thread and our whole group uses DDM's so feel free to continue the discussion it is not off topic.

As far as the RideLight goes you can see it well over 1/4 mile away and up to a 1/2 mile in most conditions right next to the HID lights. I am not associated with the company however I do try to raise awareness to the product because like HID's I believe they make the sport safer.

Sorry if double posting new to forum and still learning how to use. Got lights 90% installed looks like they are gonna be what I am looking for. I love night riding, seeing wildlife especially when full moon is out. However I don't want said wildlife stepping on trail when I am coming down the trail. As to the issue of blinding on coming riders i will cross that bridge when I get there.

Last edited:
Yeah, those would work great up on those highway trails in Canada. Way to bumpy where we ride. You would always have a bouncing slice and the bumps would still put them in others eyes. All good, they just wouldn't work as well for where we ride.

Back