• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Has anyone raced an 800r?

yammiman said:
....anything short of a 1/4 mile is not a race....

I guess I'm old school too because I agree 100% - I too have done alot of drag racing over the years and don't enjoy anything less than 1/4 mile!!

Its one thing to have a prefered distance, its another to say flat out that it is not a race if its less then a 1/4 mile. Why that distance? Whats wrong with 660'? Whats wrong with 1 mile?
A race is any distance two or more competitors agree on. 500 miles at Daytona is a race, isnt it?

You are doing between 80-90 @660ft. If you can't pull it off before a 100mph, than you have problems or you are setup more for radar runs.

Sno-Xr - when you line up with another sled when there is snow outside you are usually drag racing - "drag racing" to most people who have done alot of it is a 1/4 mile - any test I've ever seen on a vehicle, they always give its 1/4 mile performance so it is also a distance of reference - that is what is so funny about guys talking about racing in these forums when you have so many variables - snow, ice, hardpack, 660', 1/4 mile, mile, etc. - if the sleds are not set up for the exact same conditions and distance, it does not mean anything who wins - I prefer to stud up and race 1/4 mile on hardpack - but that is just me and what I consider a drag race - different strokes for different folks!!

yammiman said:
Sno-Xr - when you line up with another sled when there is snow outside you are usually drag racing - "drag racing" to most people who have done alot of it is a 1/4 mile - any test I've ever seen on a vehicle, they always give its 1/4 mile performance so it is also a distance of reference - that is what is so funny about guys talking about racing in these forums when you have so many variables - snow, ice, hardpack, 660', 1/4 mile, mile, etc. - if the sleds are not set up for the exact same conditions and distance, it does not mean anything who wins - I prefer to stud up and race 1/4 mile on hardpack - but that is just me and what I consider a drag race - different strokes for different folks!!
I dont disagree with alot of what your saying. When you pick a distance, generally it is a "set-up game".
When someone asks who makes the fastest sled, Doo or Yamaha, alot of variables obviously come into play.Distance being one of them.
Why is 660' the distance used so often when it comes to drag sled compitition? Is it because that seems to be the sweet spot of performance for a sled, unlike cars?
When me and my freinds line up on a lake, we usually go all the way to top end. Unless of course he is gainning on you , then you let off the gas and pretend the race is over while your still ahead!! :jump:

I don't know that 660' is necessarly the sweet spot distance for snowmobiles - the shootouts are all 1/4 mile - I think 660' got started in grass drags from a lack of space - fairgrounds, fields and such where grass drags got their start didn't always have room for a 1/4 mile stretch - just a guess - human nature makes someone want to race whatever distance and conditions that is in their advantage!!!

660 is meaningless to find out how fast an sled is, it mostly comes down to who got the better launch.

If you want to find out how quick an sled, 1000' or 1/4 mile work an lot better

660' came for car racing (1/8 mile) and because of the mentioned space limitations. Grass racing has gone down to 500' to keep the speeds down on the rougher surface (when compared to ice).

660' is fun to watch because you can see the whole track and it's a test of acceleration and setup...longer distances favour all out horsepower versus sled setup.

morrisond said:
660 is meaningless to find out how fast an sled is, it mostly comes down to who got the better launch.

If you want all out speed...go radar running 2000' or longer and go for ultimate top end. Drag racing is a test of acceleration (which includes launching). I've always thought 660' was a nice balance...but maybe if you're racing trail sleds you need some more distance...I dunno...I just thought 350' was a touch short...

morrisond said:

I'd hardly say it's meaningless, any more than the 1/4 mile is meaningless or the mile. Whatever the race is, it's still a race. If you were racing 440's or 500's then it'd be pretty pointless to race over a 1/4 or in many cases to a 1/4 because those sleds are pretty much topped out before that. Racing a Mach with long legs you'd want a longer race. I personally would rather have quick trail corner to corner acceleration instead of 1/4 or longer legs and the Nytro has that in spades.

Sno-Xr said:
yammiman said:

I guess I'm old school too because I agree 100% - I too have done alot of drag racing over the years and don't enjoy anything less than 1/4 mile!!

Its one thing to have a prefered distance, its another to say flat out that it is not a race if its less then a 1/4 mile. Why that distance? Whats wrong with 660'? Whats wrong with 1 mile?
A race is any distance two or more competitors agree on. 500 miles at Daytona is a race, isnt it?
1/4 mile racing is what it all about NHRA DRAG RACEING 1/4 mile 660 ft is just playing around i Guss if you have less hp the shorter the race the better but it prove nothing.

Im not a dragracer at all but in my oppinion the 660 sounds good.

The acc u use in that distance is what counts on the trails. (OK, maybee not the perfekt groomed trails but for all of my riding it is)

scott8888 said:
Sno-Xr said:
yammiman said:

1/4 mile racing is what it all about NHRA DRAG RACEING 1/4 mile 660 ft is just playing around i Guss if you have less hp the shorter the race the better but it prove nothing.

Everyone is just arguing semantics now, so let's look at the facts:

Like Sno-xr said, a race is whatever two people agree upon, period. If you don't think it is valid, then you have your right to your opinion - but it is still only your opinion. If two people agree on 660', then that's a race. And the winner of that race only proves that that sled was quicker to the distance agreed upon; not that the loser sucks, etc.

To pick on Scott for a minute - no one in their right mind thinks the Nytro is going to win in a long race against a burned-in, properly running 800XP - it just doesn't have the displacement. But stop trying to invalidate a shorter race between the two sleds. Yes, you're much more open-minded as of late, but you're getting bent out of shape about people talking about the Nytro winning a short race here (against the sled you own, hmmmm). Relax.

silversurfer said:
scott8888 said:
Sno-Xr said:
yammiman said:

Like Sno-xr said, a race is whatever two people agree upon, period. If you don't think it is valid, then you have your right to your opinion - but it is still only your opinion. If two people agree on 660', then that's a race. And the winner of that race only proves that that sled was quicker to the distance agreed upon; not that the loser sucks, etc.

To pick on Scott for a minute - no one in their right mind thinks the Nytro is going to win in a long race against a burned-in, properly running 800XP - it just doesn't have the displacement. But stop trying to invalidate a shorter race between the two sleds. Yes, you're much more open-minded as of late, but you're getting bent out of shape here about people talking about the Nytro winning a short race here (against the sled you own, hmmmm). Relax.
it has nothing to do with the 800r i would not race my apex gt in 660 ft i not trying to invalidate anything not to bring up cat but this is the same thing cat rider did with the F7 there were fast in that range but it dose not really validate how fast there really are

most sled over 600cc will run close in 660ft what really important to a lot off aggressive trail rider is 50-90 mph range this is you corner to corner speed and i might be looking at because i am old school or because riding in Canada it a lot different then riding in the States.

now if someone whats to race my APEX GT or 800r in 660ft i would not turn them down but i would not bet money on who would win because that short of a distance come down to who get the best hole shot.

Higher HP sled could be at a big disadvantage in 500-660ft race

Some people are trail racers some like the boring lakes where you can just sit there and give it gas forr 660' and be done. The 800r or Nytro werent meant for this and they should be taken to the bonbed out trail where they belong. Now thats a race varying conditions tight turns and bumps. You dont need a new 10,000 sled to go fast you could go just as fast if not faster on a modded older sled. This whole drag race thing is just to me very boring to me and not what these 2 were designed for. Obviously the Nytro would eat an 800R in the junk the thing will fall apart!

scott8888 said:
silversurfer said:
scott8888 said:
Sno-Xr said:
yammiman said:

To pick on Scott for a minute - no one in their right mind thinks the Nytro is going to win in a long race against a burned-in, properly running 800XP - it just doesn't have the displacement. But stop trying to invalidate a shorter race between the two sleds. Yes, you're much more open-minded as of late, but you're getting bent out of shape here about people talking about the Nytro winning a short race here (against the sled you own, hmmmm). Relax.
it has nothing to do with the 800r i would not race my apex gt in 660 ft i not trying to invalidate anything not to bring up cat but this is the same thing cat rider did with the F7 there were fast in that range but it dose not really validate how fast there really are

most sled over 600cc will run close in 660ft what really important to a lot off aggressive trail rider is 50-90 mph range this is you corner to corner speed and i might be looking at because i am old school or because riding in Canada it a lot different then riding in the States.

now if someone whats to race my APEX GT or 800r in 660ft i would not turn them down but i would not bet money on who would win because that short of a distance come down to who get the best hole shot.

Higher HP sled could be at a big disadvantage in 500-660ft race

Fair enough. You just seemed a little testy when someone mentioned the Nytro winning a short race, is all. I agree that these sleds (Nytro, F7) are not made for dragging and that a larger hp sled is usually at a disadvantage in a short race. Like you, I personally like to race for longer distances as well and get everything you can out of it.

People are just arguing apples and oranges, is all. Maybe a Nytro is one of the fastest sleds to '660...doesn't mean it is the end of the world. If reliability wasn't so important to me, then the 800XP would probably be one of my top choices. I think it is a testament to the Nytro's engine that it can hang with the bigger sleds (or sleds with superior hp-t-w ratios) to 90, period. My test ride was derailed last spring, but I'm going to try one out this winter...

Back