• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this in my e mail from American snowmobiles . I am sure they already know and got the" script " from The Land of The Rising Sun.

Yamaha

Something big is coming, we can feel it! We hope it's a lighter chassis to replace the Delta Box II so no more Vectors or Apex's. We are BEGGING for a new true Yamaha chassis! Also, the current 80hp Phazer might finally fade away. We’d love to see a factory turbo offering rather than the current dealer-install option too. Look for more suspension upgrades and don't be surprised if there is something that resembles a Snow Scoot in the works – another joint venture with Cat on a three-quarter sled? Going out on a limb, we know Yamaha has looked at the snowbike market A LOT so hopefully there’s a new snowbike-ish in the works, but guessing it will be more trail oriented.

fyi they have 3 newer four stroke motors,actually ..178hp,186hp,and new 2016 200hp@13:01 compression.they will all fit in a sled chassis,,its just a matter of time

My guess ( wish?)---tube chassis, 3 cylinder, four stroke, 180hp. Maybe a different kind of front end--like what Curve came out with a couple years ago. I don't see that front end on there site anymore.

Yeah, that's what I took away from that rant haha. What's got me confused though, is why did he feel the need to post a blog specifically talking about 2-strokes? I didn't think there were too many rumors going around about Yamaha releasing a 2 stroke this year? He also made no mention about their partnership with Arctic Cat in that blog? I know this is a far fetched theory, but maybe we will see an Arctic Cat 800 2 stroke in a Yamaha Chassis?

fyi they have 3 newer four stroke motors,actually ..178hp,186hp,and new 2016 200hp@13:01 compression.they will all fit in a sled chassis,,its just a matter of time
Where does this info come from?

Yeah, that's what I took away from that rant haha. What's got me confused though, is why did he feel the need to post a blog specifically talking about 2-strokes? I didn't think there were too many rumors going around about Yamaha releasing a 2 stroke this year? He also made no mention about their partnership with Arctic Cat in that blog? I know this is a far fetched theory, but maybe we will see an Arctic Cat 800 2 stroke in a Yamaha Chassis?

No way would Yamaha allow an Arctic Cat engine in their sled. That's too much for Yamaha to take. If you want a 2 stroke engine, go elsewhere. Just get an Arctic Cat ZR6000 or ZR8000..."same Yamaha quality".

So, Yamaha's corporate position seems to be, building an improved propulsion system for a "snowmobile" as we know it, is too difficult a task to even attempt? Maybe give the job to Elon Musk.

What about the 1100 turbo with a Yamaha twist in a new apex? Or do like the car manufactures and offer same body with different motor options. I'd like a viper with the apex motor

Just read Chris Reid's latest blog. It sure does not sound like Yamaha will build a 2-stroke engine.
http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/2016/02/10/hey-its-only-money/
Sooooo. He said 12000 units sold over 3 years and $200 profit on each. That's 2.4million right there to cover development costs. And where did a high tech state of the are !!!!850!!!!!! come from? Some arbitrary motor size not used and not standard at the moment. And yes jet skis outboards and snowmobiles still use 2 strokes. Dirt bikes still use 2 strokes especially in arenacross. The technology for direct injection is already there on the outboards they built to cut down the cost of developing it and it would make huge strides into the mtn and ditch markets. I personally feel it's a big hint while misleading to think not possiable at a boostable 850 direct injected twin. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my take

Just think the movie swordfish. The key to being invisible and going places unnoticed is misdirection.

CR lay's out a pretty compelling argument for not offering a 2-stroke because what else would they be able to put that motor in? Good point. (unless they "supply" it to Cat as well) Buttttttttt, and I've been saying this for a few years now, Yamaha has not one, but two brand new from the ground up engines currently found in the FZ-09 and Fz-07. I can't help but think either one of these would be a great choice to base a sled version off of and stick it in a lightweight chassis. I don't think versions of either one of these engines are found in other products. And as for sharing engines, what about the Phazer 500? Don't think this engine is in any other Yamaha product; the TMAX comes close but it's a 530cc with a 4 valve head. So, would they just kill that engine after spending millions to develop it just to kill it 10 years later? I don't see the Phazer going away like some do, I think it will get a new/proper chassis.
just my .02

The phazer is literally 2 of their 250 4stroke dirt bike motors bolted together on 1 bottom end. So crank and crank case might split with another platform. But cylinders Pistons rods heads are all 250x2 dirt bike stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back