• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamaha and arctic cat will probably be like Chevy and GMC or Dodge and Chrysler Same engines and power train just different looks and some models have more options

Just saying "HI" to Chris........

I honestly think yamaha is just going to release a new 2 up in the cat chassis. Vipers are all going to be the same just new graphics. Then 2018 is when we will see a new strictly yamaha platform.
If that's all that Yamaha brings to the table this year, then I'm spring ordering an MXZX 1200.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

If they were to bring back the 2 stroke. Witch I highly doubt they would after how they did once brag about being full 4 stroke except the bravo. I would hope it would resemble the 700 cripple triple from the srx. As having one for a year I think it was the best triple that was in a sled. I never heard of a bad one and would rock the speedo to 220 and lay a windshield down in a heartbeat. And as for being a 121" sled it got up on top the snow and floated along with a 1.75" track. Mind you the dreamo meter could have been off but still one of the best 2 stroke tripples in its time. I'd love to have that machine back with today's suspension

In my opinion I think everyone is missing the point. Yamaha has made themselves a niche in the Snowmobile market "4 strokes". We wanted a better chassi they gave us one " cat". I keep reading all these posts about bigger market shares ect.... Yamaha has way bigger product (and market shares) to worry about then snowmobiles. They will always be in snowmobiles just not at the forefront. Heck I have no data but I bet they sell more money in generator's then they do Sleds. In fact I have 2 of their generator's, Way nicer then Honda IMO. They are not driven to be the #1 Sled manufacturing company. They build a awesome Sled to suit a particular group of riders and it will always be this way. There will be no more Japan Sleds as far as I can see and those of you that don't like what they make then by all means buy another brand. They are all awesome these days. Just a different niche. I like what the viper is and will continue to buy. If I was a big mtn rider I would get a Polaris. I'd never buy a skidoo, just can't see having to buy a backpack and shovel to ride trails as seems to be required around my neck of the woods. And if I wanted a 2 stroke trail Sled it would be cat. I think yamacat will cont to evolve and make even better Sleds in our niche but not a "market shares leader". Do we really want that? Not me.

Well said Chris. I think it would be great to have one (2S) but honestly they know what they have works for them and their shareholders are content. However my guess from awhile back would be funny as hell if it were accurate.

Another wild guess, how about a WET SUMP 2 stroke, the design is very old in the Diesel engine field (Detroit Diesel). Basically it would have Direct injection, cam controlled intake valves, exhaust port, and a low boost supercharger to push the charge into the cylinders since you don't have case pressure. Cures the oil burn issue, crank bearing issue, and allows a smaller/lighter package size to crank out big power. Another bonus is its easier to have a safer tune since you don't have to account burnt oil into the emissions numbers. A 600cc with 4psi would crank out 800cc+ hp numbers and would only loose about 10% of its HP in the mountains compared to 30% on an N/A motor if the boost wasn't adjustable.

If they were to bring back the 2 stroke. Witch I highly doubt they would after how they did once brag about being full 4 stroke except the bravo. I would hope it would resemble the 700 cripple triple from the srx. As having one for a year I think it was the best triple that was in a sled. I never heard of a bad one and would rock the speedo to 220 and lay a windshield down in a heartbeat. And as for being a 121" sled it got up on top the snow and floated along with a 1.75" track. Mind you the dreamo meter could have been off but still one of the best 2 stroke tripples in its time. I'd love to have that machine back with today's suspension
What people have to remember is those old suspensions is what made those speeds possible. Those old two stroke engines that did "115" would never push those numbers In todays chassis designs. Those old sleds laid on the ground, the tracks didn't have to make those big turns, small frontal area, no travel, etc. While agree some of the old triples were sweet engines I am not sure the performance would be the same in a Viper chassis..........

Another wild guess, how about a WET SUMP 2 stroke, the design is very old in the Diesel engine field (Detroit Diesel). Basically it would have Direct injection, cam controlled intake valves, exhaust port, and a low boost supercharger to push the charge into the cylinders since you don't have case pressure. Cures the oil burn issue, crank bearing issue, and allows a smaller/lighter package size to crank out big power. Another bonus is its easier to have a safer tune since you don't have to account burnt oil into the emissions numbers. A 600cc with 4psi would crank out 800cc+ hp numbers and would only loose about 10% of its HP in the mountains compared to 30% on an N/A motor if the boost wasn't adjustable.
Now THIS is an awesome idea! It must be a difficult engine to build or this would be the standard. Why don't these exist in power sports? Emissions regulations are only going to get tougher and not burning the oil is a no brainier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back